09/28/09 Madonna - Celebration

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ABBAFANUSA

ABBAFANUSA Forum Resident

No one is ever going to be happy with the tracklist I guess. I for one could do without "Hollywood". I would much rather have a higher charting single in it's place.

I would also love a single edit of "Oh Father"

Madonna deserves a career-spanning singles box set!

2. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Youre absolutely right about the singles box. There should be two boxes. One would be the original singles mixes and the other should be the original 12" remixes. Possibly they could combine them, but it might be too damn big, I cant think of anyone who deserves it more that hasnt already had some kind of box set compiled. :)

Steve

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

A poster on MadonnaNation says a contact at Warner tells him what was leaked on Madonnatribe is not finalized, and is "90% correct."

4. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Friends that work at Warner have told me that the track listing has not been finalized and possibly expect some surprises. i.e. the original 7" edit of "Everybody".

5. ABBAFANUSA

A month away and they still haven't finalized it yet?

6. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

I read somewhere recently that it had been pushed to October.

7. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

I've been reading about these Madonna singles mixes for years but I still don't know why everyone wants them so bad. Are these superior mixes or is it just that people remember the edited versions from 45s, radio, etc.?

If they're superior mixes, I might have to search some of these things out.

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think it's more a case of people wanting the version they heard most. With Madonna, it seemed like there was a radio mix, a mix for the music video, an extended mix in the clubs and yet another mix on the actual album you could buy in the store.

She and Prince and the two artists in most need of career spannng singles boxes.

9. ABBAFANUSA

For me it's just a matter of having every recording/version on CD:righton:

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

a lot of the original 45 mixes are really perfect IMO and are maybe edits, but some are edits of remixes and really they are what were the hits on the radio. i've always wondered why they werent put on cd. they are THE HIT VERSIONS. they are what radio played over and over....

the 45s also have a sonic clarity I cant find on her cds. Every 45 I have heard sounds amazing. I hope they are on this comp, but I wonder how the sonics on this comp are going to be. i'm anticipating a brickwalled mess myself. she's going to sign off on it's sound no doubt, i bet she wants it to sound like the cd's of today...brickwalled. the 45 masterings are detailed and somewhat delicate, i cant imagine this CD set will sound like that...i'm hoping for a vinyl release on this myself...

11. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

The radio and music video mixes were always very similar to the album version. I have bought quite a few 12" and 7" singles of the early stuff but it's mainly for the album covers!:laugh: and occasional b-side. Musically, I really don't care about alternate mixes, as I've heard very few that were superior.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member Thread Starter

There are certain Madonna 7" mixes such as "Express Yourself" that are different mixes than the album version, not just edits.

13. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Exactly. Id like to think they were going to use all of those on the Celebration greatest hits but I am not holding my breath. Still, I like the tracklist that Madonnatribe put out and I hope its either the final tracklist or one very like it. If they can put some well-mastered versions of the hit single mixes on it then it will be a real bonus. Cant wait.

Steve

14. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

The official wea.com sell sheet finally includes the following track listing.

2 CD Edition:

HUNG UP
    MUSIC
    VOGUE
    4 MINUTES
    HOLIDAY
    EVERYBODY
    LIKE A VIRGIN
    INTO THE GROOVE
    LIKE A PRAYER
    RAY OF LIGHT
    SORRY
    EXPRESS YOURSELF
    OPEN YOUR HEART
    BORDERLINE
    SECRET
    EROTICA
    JUSTIFY MY LOVE
    REVOLVER

DRESS YOU UP
    MATERIAL GIRL
    LA ISLA BONITA
    PAPA DON’T PREACH
    LUCKY STAR
    BURNING UP
    CRAZY FOR YOU
    WHO’S THAT GIRL
    FROZEN
    MILES AWAY
    TAKE A BOW
    LIVE TO TELL
    BEAUTIFUL STRANGER
    HOLLYWOOD
    DIE ANOTHER DAY
    DON’T TELL ME
    CHERISH
    CELEBRATION

Single CD Edition:

HUNG UP
    MUSIC
    VOGUE
    4 MINUTES
    HOLIDAY
    LIKE A VIRGIN
    INTO THE GROOVE
    LIKE A PRAYER
    RAY OF LIGHT
    LA ISLA BONITA
    FROZEN
    MATERIAL GIRL
    PAPA DON’T PREACH
    LUCKY STAR
    EXPRESS YOURSELF
    OPEN YOUR HEART
    DRESS YOU UP
    CELEBRATION

Still no word on what will be included on the 2 DVD video collection.

15. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I would hope that the 2DVD video collection at the very least has everything thats on the 2CD set! It would be nice to have a complete video set, but I dont think that will happen. Maybe we will get some nice alternative vids as easter eggs but thats probably about the best we can hope for.

Steve

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Gonna be tough since no videos exist for some of those songs...

17. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Link, please?

18. MarilynsPickle

Um. wea.com.

19. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

If you type that exact address (wea.com) it comes up new.wea.com/login as WEA Axis.

The actual link provided would be helpful.

20. MarilynsPickle

You need a name and password for which I cannot provide, but madonnatribe.com has updated to include this finalized list as well as developing information on Warner Bros. bringing the release forward a week (September 22 in the US).

madonna.com has removed their "September 29"-heavy intro page which seems to support this.

Stay tuned.

21. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Which ones are missing? I know they usually use the TV performance for "Everybody" so what else is missing? Dress You Up has a live video from the Virgin Tour shows and I think everything else except Revolver has its own official video.

Steve

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No video for "Holiday" - at least not one from 1983/84 - or "Into the Groove" or "Crazy for You". Actually, I guess there might be "movie clip montage" videos for those two, but who cares? Those are a waste of time.

I've never seen a TV show video for "Everybody" and wouldn't consider it to be a "real video". Live ones are debatable, but at least the video for "Dress You Up" was actually released AS a video - it's not something that is being passed off as one now...

23. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Ive seen the "Everybody" clip a bunch of times on TV back in the day. I checked online and it wasnt a TV performance but was filmed in a nightclub, so its a proper video [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody_(Madonna_song)]. "Into the Groove" and "Crazy for You" both had movie clip videos which were aired constantly at the time also."Into the Groove" was fun but was basically snippets of Desperately Seeking Susan edited into a clip. With "Crazy For You" at least they had the video from the movie for that. They are a bit of a waste of time. However, if you wanted a complete collection they would have to be included.
    Personally, I would like a complete video collection like David Bowie's Best Of Bowie with alternate versions as easter eggs. Im almost certainly not going to get it though. Still it would not be hard for them to do the complete Celebration tracklisting that way [with the exception of Revolver obviously].

Steve

24. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

The upcoming single "Revolver" is not on the single-disc release, only the two-disc? That makes no sense at all. I'm skeptical that this is really the final tracklist.

25. Kym

Kym Former Resident

From Madonna.com:

Madonna Celebration CD Track Listing:

CD 1:
    01) Hung Up
    02) Music
    03) Vogue
    04) 4 Minutes
    05) Holiday
    06) Everybody
    07) Like A Virgin