09/28/09 Madonna - Celebration

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

The 7" "Silver Screen Mix" is what I heard on the radio back in the day, so that's the version I'm going with. :D

I've stopped and started this comp so many times now... I don't think I'll work on it until I get a VPI RCM, because it's tough to find mint 7" singles at a decent price. :D

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member Thread Starter

I was wondering how they were going to fit all of her videos on one DVD. Maybe there will be some other bonus videos (live stuff, MTV Video Awards appearances, etc.) as well.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member Thread Starter

I really like the new single "Celebration." :righton:

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never thought they planned to put ALL of her videos in the set. I thought it'd be a representation of them but not a comprehensive release...

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that's my impression as well.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm gonna wait to listen to it until I get the album - or the single, if there's an interesting separate CD single...

7. ABBAFANUSA

ABBAFANUSA Forum Resident

WTF?? I just logged onto iTunes to by "Celebration" and a pop-up message comes up saying:

The item you tried to buy is no longer available.
    The availability of the item changed while you were using the store.
    The same item may be available with a different price or elsewhere on the store

But that is the only listing for the song. It isn't listed anywhere else. Did they issue it too soon or something?

Crazy!!

Oh well, I just got from Amazon for .99 instead of $1.29

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The Celebration DVD will be 2 discs, and 180 minutes long, according to Amazon.com Hmm....

9. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Are we getting a vinyl edition of this? Double, triple etc?

10. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

The new single up to #29 on iTunes. Hopefully it will continue to rise.

I do like it, though I feel the lyrics are a bit silly. It reminds me of "Physical Attraction" a bit.

I sure hope MusicGiants comes out of Chapter 11 in time to get all the download-only remixes from the new album in lossless format, as I did with her last two albums.

Though iTunes Plus is really very good... I just did that comparison where you invert the waveform of a .wav file and sync it up with a compressed version of the same file to hear what was removed. I did it with an iTunes Plus file (256 AAC VBR) and a 320kb MP3. Surprisingly, the 256kb iTunes plus file removed quite a bit LESS audible musical information from the original .wav than the 320kb MP3, even though the AAC was about 1/3 smaller.

11. brstp

brstp Active Member

"Celebration" is stupid but fun. You can do worse in a pop song. It's a breath of fresh air IMO after helicoptering in Justin Timberlake and Timbaland for "4 Minutes."

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I don't believe we're getting a vinyl edition, no.

13. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

was this a track you purchased at itunes or one you ripped from cd on your computer?

14. Wergeland

Wergeland Formerly spanishjohnny

Me too. It's great!

15. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

I ripped the .wav file from CD using Exact Audio Copy, then created the 256 AAC using iTunes and the 320kb MP3 using Windows Media Player. I've always read that AAC is a superior format to MP3. Now I can verify with my own ears that that's true.

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'll be curious to see what music videos from her other 2 DVDs will be missing on this comp.

17. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

DJ Wilbur, I'm going to take what I said back a little bit, after trying it on a different track. The track I referred to in my earlier post was "Human Nature" by MJ. The new track I tried was "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" from Steve's DCC "Elton Gr. Hits." That's a pretty complex track. Here's what I found in listening to what was removed from this new compressed file:

- Nero AAC Variable Bitrate (available in Foobar) is a bit better than iTunes Plus AAC at the same bitrate. Nero removes less of the low end "bassy" sound than iTunes's AAC compressor does.

- Nero AAC 256kb VBR was roughly equivalent to a straight 320 MP3 encoded with iTunes.

- MP3 really focuses on the upper frequency range in choosing what it removes. AAC (especially Nero AAC) seems to remove more evenly from all the different frequencies, with more low end being removed in iTunes AAC. I was hard-pressed to hear any vocals in the MP3, but could hear them at a low volume with the AAC files.

- Best of all was Nero AAC 400kb VBR, which gives you a file about 15-20% larger than a straight 320kb MP3. iTunes's AAC encoder only goes up to 320kb.

So it's going to depend on the song. With "Human Nature," a 256 AAC clearly removed less info than a 320kb MP3. With the Elton John song, the 320 MP3 did better in that respect than iTunes 256 VBR and about the same as Nero 256 VBR.

And now that I've TOTALLY derailed this thread...

18. DJ WILBUR

BUT, in a fascinating and informative way. its not like we know all that much about this release anyway...

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

20. DJ WILBUR

21. ABBAFANUSA

I can't believe the final track list is nowhere to be found yet.

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

CD1
    Holiday
    Like A Virgin
    Material Girl
    Into The Groove
    Papa Don't Preach
    Who's That Girl?
    Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Vogue
    Erotica
    Secret
    Frozen
    Ray Of Light
    Music
    Die Another Day
    Hung Up
    4 Minutes
    Celebration *

CD2
    Everybody
    Borderline
    Crazy For You
    Dress You Up
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita
    Cherish
    Justify My Love
    This Used To Be My Playground
    Deeper And Deeper
    Take A Bow
    Human Nature
    Beautiful Stranger
    Don't Tell Me
    American Life
    Sorry
    Give It 2 Me
    Revolver *

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the track listing aside from Die Another Day and American Life. I guess you have to rep something from that album so those would be the tracks that makes the most sense.

24. ABBAFANUSA

Claus, you've listed probably the 4th version of the track list I've seen online. May I ask where you got the info and what makes you sure it's the finalized one?

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I highly doubt that's real either. Why would they seperate the chronological ordering amongst the two discs? That makes no sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.