Any Banco fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Carney, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid) Thread Starter

Any fans of Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso on board?

I've narrowed down the best sound of the first album on CD to the following two choices. I speak of their first Italian release, of course.

Anyone care to share which they prefer?

I'll reveal what is what after a few responses. Here are two one minute clips.

Hint: No Japanese or Italian mini lp CDs are involved.

Source #1:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C5B4848568B6F85B

Source #2:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=ACD359A96F30D96D

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'm guessing one is the original Dischi cd, and the other is the cheapo gold disc digi-pack reissue?

3. Jeff Carney

Nope.

Which one do you like?

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

After a quick listen...I like the first one better. The second one sounds pretty thin, and has a dropout or something about 40 seconds into the example clip (the sound shifts drastically to the left channel). BUT, the difference in volume worries me a bit. The first one is substantially louder than the second. That being said...of the clips you posted, I prefer the first.

5. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

The first one is much louder. Seems like the 2nd one is better.

6. Jeff Carney

I find the second more open but maybe a tad midrangey. The first is more boomy and bass heavy, with less mid and top end.

Neither of these have any compression, btw, and both are very old CDs.

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

What about that dropout, Jeff? Two drastically different tape sources?

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Jeff, somehow I never really studied Banco. Though I'm not that much of a prog guy these days, I liked what I heard on your samples musically. What albums and what editions do you recommend me to check out? I know we did disagree on several sonic issues lately, but I always respect your recommendations!:thumbsup: :wave:

9. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I think Source 2 is an italian mastering. Then it's either the original
    CDOR xxxx or the MPCD xxx . Because of the low volume i go for the CDOR 8041. Maybe they are the same.

The first I think is an early Japan edition (King?).

This album is not very well recorded. I believe the italian edition (source 2?) stays very close to what's on the tape. Source 1 is as you say boomy and bass heavy. I dont like this kind of Eqing. I prefer source 2. If I want Eqing I can do it myself.

10. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Do you have the peak levels for the source 2 cd? I have a 2001 edition on the 'E Musica label. This could be the same as your source 2 mastering only more gain.

This is the peak levels:

Track 1
    Filename J:\Progressive musikk\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-(01)In volo.wav

Peak level 47.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 4430716B
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename J:\Progressive musikk\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-(02)R.I.P. (Requiescant in pace).wav

Peak level 98.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC D3FE037E
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename J:\Progressive musikk\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-(03)Passaggio.wav

Peak level 73.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 99D185D7
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename J:\Progressive musikk\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-(04)Metamorphosi.wav

Peak level 94.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 08C323CE
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename J:\Progressive musikk\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-(05)Il giardino del mago.wav

Peak level 94.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC B08867AD
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename J:\Progressive musikk\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso\Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-Banco del Mutuo Soccorso-(06)Traccia.wav

Peak level 94.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC B2AFC64D
    Copy OK

11. Jeff Carney

For you, Anton, I think I might recommend the K2 of their 1975 album that was done originally for ELP's Manticore label. Many purists prefer the earlier Italian versions of these songs but I think it's a great album. I think the catalog # is VICP-60813. It's mastered a bit hot for my taste but I think you will dig it.

No worries on our sonic differences, btw. I think you just prefer a bit more high end than me. :)

12. Jeff Carney

Bingo! We have a winner. Well, I didn't really ask for folks to guess what was what, but this is exactly what they are. Sample 1 is the King Japan CD, which I believe was issued in 1988. Sample 2 is the original Dischi (CDOR pressing, which afaik, is the same as the MPCD pressing).

I am inclined to like #2, and would presume that the King was made from a production tape (I believe not completely uncommon with King CDs). The other possible conclusion is that Dischi made their CD from a production tape and King used a safety copy of the master. I tend to doubt that King EQd the tape specifically for CD release.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Jeff, how does the Gold cd sound? Have you heard it?

14. Jeff Carney

All of those are no-noised to death and compressed. Avoid.

15. Jeff Carney

Who knows...? It is odd that the Italian version has that dropout because one would think better tapes would be there.

But what happened (or at least, this is what I have deduced) with Italian prog stuff is that tapes were sent to Japan when companies like King starting issuing those titles on vinyl like crazy in the early 80s. So, even if they had safeties in Japan, they could theoretically still have a tape that didn't have a dropout when one in Italy became damaged before a CD was issued.

Of course, it could have happened in the mastering chain, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.