Phil Spector - Back to Mono: $12.99 on Amazon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by elektrikjester, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a copy of the Back to Mono box for the A Christmas Gift For You disc (The Ronettes' "Frosty the Snowman" is sublime), and it appears that Amazon is selling brand new copies of the box for $12.99. Yes, Amazon, and not one of their marketplace sellers.

If you don't have this box, it might be too good of an offer to pass up at this price!

2. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I think there was another recent thread about this. I just happened to pick up a copy at Virgin today for $15.99... that's the SALE price, the non-SALE price is $19.99.

I'm enjoying the heck out of it tonight. I don't know if anybody zeroed-in on a theory as to the price slashing over at ABKCO, but maybe Al-o-baby sees the demise of the CD in sharper focus than the rest of the industry.

This is definitely among the best value-for-money purchases in my music-buying life. Great music, nice booklet.

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Geez - a while back I was glad to have picked up a spare book from the box in a second hand store for £5. I was planning ahead - thinking I would sell the set some day in the not too distant future when a better collection came out one day. That way I'd still have the wonderful book.

Had I known then that I if I waited I could have bought another complete box set for about the same price I wouldn't have bothered!!

When I got this set back in '91 it was £60. That's was well over $100 even then!!!

:unhunh:

4. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I bought three copies the other day at Buy.com (one for myself and two for Christmas gifts) using the Google checkout Buy.com holiday bonus and got all three shipped for $30.04!

What's interesting is that originally I tried to purchase them at Amazon when I saw that $12.99 price, but the Amazon system kept kicking one out of my shopping cart and would only let me buy two. Since I needed three, I began looking at other etailers. Although the individual price was more at Buy.com, with the Google checkout coupon, I saved almost $9.00 compared to the same order at Amazon.

No matter where you get it, at these prices, this set is a steal and well worth adding to your library. :righton:

5. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

But am i going to buy this and have a new (better?) version come along?

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

At $12.99 does it matter?

This set has been a constant souce of joy to me for 15 years - assuming you get similar pleasure from it that will be at a cost of $1 per year for you if you include shipping.....

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

:)

7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It's the real deal. I ordered mine yesterday and got the "Your order's been shipped" email today.

What's next, Robert Blake DVDs for $1.99?

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Actually, a slew of the boxsets were found in a warehouse and it made sense to lower the price to sell them off, but what a discount :righton: Hell, at $69.99, it was one of the best boxsets I ever purchased.... at $19.99 or less, it's an absolute steal. Mal, may know more than I, but I've heard that a similar box of original stereo, or possibly remixed stereo, is on the horizon. Unfortunately, any Back To Mono campaign is way out of vogue now... the marketplace demanding stereo and 5.1 remixes of everything. Get the set while you can.... less than 5 bucks a disc, are you kidding me?!?! Ron

9. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Forum Resident

Ordered mine Saturday (I think it was), got it Tuesday. In perfect shape, stinker on the shrinkwrap, etc. It's a very nice package and a steal for the price IMO.

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I think we are now getting to the "bottom" of why these were discounted......

:D

11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Be nice now :wave:

12. brstp

brstp Active Member

Wow, I'm going to have to buy this now. Thanks for the heads up :)

13. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

i bought this with the Nellie McKay album (the new one) $26 basically, got the free shipping, I couldn't pass it up. $12.99 is too good of a deal even if a better one crops up.

14. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Wow! I just saw this last week at Best Buy for $69.I just ordered one from Amazon.What a deal.Thanks for the heads up.:righton:

15. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Just ordered this on Amazon - only $6.99 shipping all the way to Ireland! That's less than $20 for a heap of great music. And the best news? The US dollar has dropped against the Euro!

16. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

:D thank you, thank you, thank you :D

Just ordered mine and 4 more to give away for Christmas.

17. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

The 2 I ordered showed up yesterday. Thanks for the heads up.:righton:

18. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're all welcome. :)

19. Tubeman

Is it possible that royalty/copyrights are getting ready to run out on many of the songs on this boxset?

20. clannychoi

clannychoi New Member

Google recently had a promotion where you receive $10 dollars towards any purchase from selected stores, so I was able to get it from Buy.com for 10 dollars off. :) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that this box set is inferior in terms of sound quality when compared to other releases of Phil Spector.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I wonder if I got the last one? It said "1 in stock".

Thanks BTW!

22. Tubeman

23. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

My copy arrived today (I ordered it on Sunday 26th November) and my credit card was charged with just €15.47. It's a BIG box - it looks more like a box set of vinyl albums but I guess almost all box sets from the early 'nineties looked like this. I couldn't afford to buy box sets back in those days when our little ol' country was in deep recession. A double CD set was a special treat!

24. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Yea,I remember all box sets looking like this. I'm glad they don't make 'em like this anymore.

25. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Mine arrived today - via Auckland New Zealand for some reason... a well travelled box set but one of my all time audio bargains...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.