List of the rarest vinyl in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Are there any websites that list what the rarest vinyl records are in the world (LPs, EPs, 78's, 45's, etc)? I'd love to read about 'em. Thanks. :)

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I don't know about any websites but the most rare records are probably that 'one off' recording done by the Beatles (or pre-Beatles) and those records Elvis made for his mother while he was a truck-driver.

P.S. Here's a website I just found:

http://www.rarevinyl.net/

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

God Save the Queen

Sex Pistols first single on A&M went for 12,675 GBP on eBay earlier this year. only 12 copies are known to exist.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

You'd have to actually buy a book, as opposed to surfing the net for it, but Goldmine used to, and so far as I know still does, release a record price guide. In the one issue that I have, they have an article on the top ten or twenty rarest records. Come to think of it, I should buy a new one.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Re: God Save the Queen

Are you sure only 12 copies are still known to exist? I thought a BUNCH of copies were unearthed when A&M was bought by Polygram, and disgruntled soon-to-be-ex employees raided the vault...

Kwad

6. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Here's the link to that auction from popsike, which is a very nice reference site for records.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4838165513

7. Doonie

Doonie New Member

As an aside, I have an East Indian-Canadian friend at work who's been listening vinyl his whole life who tells me he's got recordings that were pressed back home in the 50s and that he wouldn't be surprised if his copies were the only ones in existence. Who knows?

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'd say this one is mighty rare.

Never even seen a picture of one until one turned up in the Heritage Auction Galleries catalog.

Attached Files:

9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Well if we are speaking of 'rare' in terms of presently existing numbers only, there are literally hundreds of thousands of one or two-off records that would qualify. For example, the 78 rpm of my dads high school music class at some concert in the 1940's. Go ahead - try to find one at any price! :)

And how about those autographed records?

But what we commonly call 'rare' seems to be based on a ratio of desirability versus availability of popular artists or musical pieces. If 500 people are willing to pay a lot for something of which only 50 copies exist, the term 'rare' is likely to be applied to those 50.

10. rhavers

rhavers Active Member

In this month's edition of the UK magazine Record Collector there is an article on the most valuable records.

11. rhavers

rhavers Active Member

12. Paul Grayson

Paul Grayson New Member

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

14. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Wow I would think the stereo mix of Bob Dylan's Freewheelin' album would qualify ($20-30,000 in nm condition)

15. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

Jerry Osborne puts out a nice record price guide book.

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I always thought it was the Dylan Freewheelin' that was the rarest.

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, the stereo version with the four tracks, including "Let Me Die in My Footsteps," that were withdrawn at the last second.

18. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I remember when Bleecker Bob's in NYC had one on their wall in the early 80s for $1,000. I always thought it was cool, but, it seemed overpriced back then. £12,675 now? Ouch.

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

rareness and value are not the same thing. You could have the only copy of a record and if nobody else wants it it is worthless. the stereo version Dylan's Freewheelin with the deleted tracks is valuable because it is extremely rare (2 known copies?) and highly sought after. the problem with the idea of "the rarest" is that you get no rarer than one and there may be many such records.

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Attached Files:

21. Two Rolling Stones albums, Let It Bleed and 12 x 5, were pressed as colored vinyl... not sure how many LIB copies exist, but only one 12 x 5 has ever turned up.

Also, Through The Past Darkly was pressed as a picture disc... only a handful are known to exist.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.