Jon Anderson's Animation - Check *THIS* out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Carney, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid) Thread Starter

Voiceprint just issued this on CD and even the non-audiophile types are all in a tizzy. They had to use vinyl as a source, which is fine as the tapes must be lost. But look at the fun they had. This is the first track, "Olympia."

2. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

that must sound like static!

3. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

It sure is Animated.

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Digital peak-a-go-go!

Holy duck!

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

Hell, I'll just re-master it myself from my own vinyl (for my own use, of course)!

Ridiculous! And then they wonder why these things don't sell...

6. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

7. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I'll stick with the Japanese LP I bought new on clearance for $1.99.

8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I notice that thread has been removed...

What a load of hogwash....I hope the boxset that's planned isn't being done by that person as well...he will ruin what's there...doesn't he realize that people who are into this stuff probably have been through the remaster reissue stuff forever with this band and used to buy Japanese pressings of this stuff looking for the best quality? This is garbage and not what the Yes camp need...
    Horrible....and I will stick with the vinyl! Looks like we all will have to....

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I emailed the co-ordinator of the box-set project currently being prepared...seems like a nice guy...got back to me promptly but he confirmed my worst fears....

"I will say that they have been mastered loud as
    Animation was, but if people don't like that, turn
    down the Vol knob. Jon has personally OK'ed all these
    recordings."

in other words...

....Rats!

10. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I like how everybody on that board complains about the sound but then says how great it is to have it on cd. As if that's the only way music can be listened to.

"It sounds like poo and I'll never listen to it again. But I sure am glad it's finally on cd!"

From the look of that sound file, the mastering engineer (who thinks he did a great job by "restoring" and performing other "miracles") should be shot and buried with his Pro Tools and no noise.. There's absolutely no excuse for what he did regardless of the source he mastered from.

I like the comment from the guy who said, "to be honest the peace and quiet when it finishes is a relief."

Ah... modern digital mastering at it's finest!

11. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

He should have used the Jon & Vangelis CD's on Polydor as a reference.
    Those sound great!
    Fans have been waiting so long for a CD of Animation, this is a real insult.

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

these over 60 musician who probably have bad hearing at this point should never get to OK anything regarding mastering in my opinion. Leave that to the professionals who do it for a living.

This guy who mastered this, I read that thread and his comments, this guy sounds like an idiot to me. He seems to know little about sound, or technique to coax something out of a marginal source.

I wont be getting this or that box set and I would have otherwise. I love Jon.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

See also:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=2118094#post2118094

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Over at yesfans.com I got several very angry PMs from the moderators asking me shut my mouth and not discuss the poor sound quality of this CD as it might hurt the sales.

After getting one angry note that was over the top and verbally abusive I made this post that got me banned and closed the thread. :D Candid? Yes but I felt it was appropriate for the resistant attitude of those who make the decisions regarding Jon's catalog.

15. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid) Thread Starter

Nice touch, Jaime.

Btw, apparently the thread at Yesfans is back and had been removed temporarily because of some illegal clips.

Not that this matters to you, Jaime, since you're banned. :laugh:

16. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

They banned you for being honest about a yes related release on a Yes fan site? Wow, that amazes me.

I'd sure love to see that note you got from them...

17. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

the the important thing is that you're right and they're ignorant. I like the ones who bought 2 copies to show their support for Jon. Some people are really dumb.

18. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Guys, guys, the wave graphic you saw above demonstrates that either this is a 'flat' master or Jon sang this while in a recumbent position, hence the flat-out-horizontality of the wave forms. :D

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Well, I think they took my last post as somewhat aggressive. I re-wrote it several times trying to be nice but I guess my emotions did show through a little. It wasn't my intention.

They also deleted all the waveform pictures posted by other people and my sound clips saying they were illegal.

This thread would be banned over there.

20. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'll keep my vinyl version.

It's really strange that a group dedicated to a group can't accept the truth, or at least what many had already described as a poor job of remastering. It's nice that this site allows different points of view. Jon Anderson never should given the "green light email".

21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Jamie, you have become another 'martir' of the good mastering cruzade. I'm with you on this one, but remember what the old adage says: "It is good to always know the truth, but not always to tell it."

Take care. :)

22. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Jamie--

As a regular poster over on that "other site" I'm frankly appalled at the way they are treating you. I will be voicing a complaint, for what it's worth.

Gotta love Yes fans...and I should know! :laugh:

(I'd bet Jon wouldn't pay anyone enough to do a "decent" job i.e. get the right sources, hence the resulting release...) God knows I'm glad I kept my vinyl

--Matt

23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Thanks Matt. :) I saw you were lurking a few times I was there.

I noticed quite a few familiar posters over there. :wave:

I've been threatened with legal action so that brings an end to my visits. They say because I lowered the volume of the remaster in my comparison clips to match the volume of my needle drop I have violated a law. :confused: That kind of mentality is pretty scary.

It all makes me appreciate this place even more! :)

24. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Wow, pure insanity is alive and kicking over at *******.com. :shake:

25. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

what I don't understand is why remasters need to be compressed - or loud. I mean ok new recordings need to sound as loud as the next one especially on radio, and perhaps its .. not forgiveable, but understandable

but remasters aren't targeted for radioplay, are they? and the only people who would put $ down on remasters are going to care a lot about the record in the first place SQ and otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.