Bonnie Raitt's "Too Long At the Fair"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whoompley, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know why "Too Long At the Fair" on Bonnie Raitt's Give It Up lp changed versions? I got to know the lp in the 1979 and the song was as you hear it on the original CD and (if I can believe Dell's CD Jukebox) the remastered CD. I found a green label pressing which has a completely different mix of the song. The backing track is the same, but the intro is on 12-string and the vocal take is completely different. There's way more reverb on the whole song, too. Did they remix and replace it when they put it out as a single? Anybody know?

2. whoompley

3. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

Are you saying that a later pressing of the LP has a different version, or is it that the original green label LP and the CD is different? If you've heard a different version on LP, can you please provide label info or other distinguishing features of the later LP?

Thanks!

Fred

4. whoompley

Hey Fred,
    I had two copies of the lp before I got this green label copy. The two copies I had before were late seventies issues, with Burbank labels, matte finish. I don't have them anymore to compare, sorry. They both had the same take, the one that's on the early CD and (I think) the remaster (Dry 6 string on the intro). The version on the green label has a very wet 12-string in the intro. I've never heard this version on a CD.

5. fldveloce

Thanks for the info Wes. That is a mystery. I love that album and especially that cut so I've got to go get a copy of the alternate version (never heard it). Perhaps if we keep chatting eventually someone will see the thread and have an answer.. Could be that there was a tape problem with the original version and they had to find an alternate. Could be that someone thought they'd sneak through a gift for the fans.

Which version do you like better?

Fred

6. BRush

BRush Senior Member

"Too Long at the Fair" was issued as a single for the LP. Maybe its a re-record. I have a White Label copy of the LP. I'll check it out.

7. whoompley

If I had to choose I'd go with the 12-string version. I like the vocal a little better on that one.

8. BRush

BRush Senior Member

The 12 String Version is the one on my White Label Promo. They credits list Bonnie as playing the 12 string. My guess is that WB Records remade the record. They were having a hard time trying to break her. I have a copy of the 45 Promo, it came in a cardboard package, with a book. I guess they wanted something a little slicker to get radio airtime. Michael Cuscuna, from Mosaic Records, produced the LP, "Give it Up". It's a pretty funky record, love all the horns. Bonnie plays a lot of different instruments. I prefer this over her slick MOR stuff.

9. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

So is the 12-string version the remake and the 6-string version the original?

10. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Just to keep this thread moving this was the song that really got me into Bonnie Raitt. WHFS used to play this song all the time and it remains one of my favorites
    Peace-
    Norm

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Same here. The good old days of WHFS :thumbsup:

12. whoompley

I'm not sure, but since every lp and CD shows a 12-string in the credits for the song, whether it has a 12 or a 6-string, I'm inclined to think the 12-string version is the original and the 6-string version is the substitution. Besides, I've never heard a later pressing with the 12-string, only this green label copy.

13. fldveloce

OK, I've just played the 3 copies of this LP that I have:

1. WLP (side 1: BS 2634-A 40246-2 (RE) -1G, side 2: BS 2643 40247-B-1E) -- STERLING 3 LH on both sides

2. green label (side 1: BS 2643 40246-2-1L, side 2: BS 2643 40247-1-1C) -- STERLING 3 LH on both sides

3. Burbank street / Palm tree label (side 1: BS-2643 40246-3, side 2: BS 4643 40247-1) -- STERLING 2 LH only on side 2

And they all play the same version of the cut. From the dead wax markings, it looks like my Burbank label is using an early mastering of side 2 which could explain why it plays what we think is the original version. Strange that my WLP has "(RE)" on side 1 and neither of the others do -- it otherwise certainly looks like an original..

Can anyone please post the dead wax inscription for a side 2 that plays the second version?

Also, BRush, were you saying that your 45 promo played the second version?

Thanks again --

Fred

14. whoompley

Hey Fred,
    My copy has BS 2643 40246-2 Sterling 2/LH on side 1
    BS2643 40247-1 Sterling 2/LH on side 2

If I find a copy that has the dry 6-string version I'll post the deadwax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.