Do you guys/gals get "mental print thru" when you listen to an album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I generally listen to an album straight through from beginning to end. Whenever one song ends, I usually get a "mental print thru" for what song is coming up next. I don't even have to look at the track listing. It's almost like ESP.

Is it just me?

2. Chris Federico

Chris Federico New Member

No, it's not just you. To the brain, the beginning of the next song is still part of the current song; it's just a sequence-of-notes-and-words thing.

Interesting term you've coined for it, though. :)

3. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

So if I store my mind "tails out", I won't have this problem?:)

Dan

4. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

HA HA!!

I had a really weird experience of this when I bought a Sherri Lewis record for my girlfriend's daughter a few years back. I hadn't heard the thing since I was five, but I kept knowing what was about to happen, one second before it happened, and no further. It was an intensely uncanny deja vu-ish feeling. I played the record a ton three decades earlier, when my brain was very different.

5. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

I guess the big question is "how many" listens to an album (all the way through from beginning to end) does it take before you get the "mental print through". For me it's at least 4-5 times. And sometimes that tough if it's not an exceptionally strong album from beginning to end.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Yes, this still happens to me when I play With The Beatles, or Beatles For Sale or any other UK Beatles album. I always expect to hear "Nowhere Man" after "I'm Only Sleeping", or "You Like Me Too Much" after "Eight Days A Week", etc...

7. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

When the Led Zeppelin catalog was initially remastered it came out in a 4 CD box set and the tracks were jumbled around. I found it hard to listen to it because I had such strong feelings for each of the albums and their song sequences. When the box set of individual albums came out I bought that and sold the 4 CD set.

8. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Glad to know I am not the only one afflicted with this "condition" :D

9. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Happens to me - odd when I hear CD-R mixes with a song I've heard for years on the real album followed by a the WRONG song...

Just happened the other night.

Jeff

10. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

This happened to me with a recent spin of PAST MASTERS, a disc I have played through beginning to end only a couple of times. It was really weird...
    I knew the first notes of every song before it started playing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.