Lighthouse - One Fine Morning LP Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I've seen it listed on many different websites that Roger Dean designed the artwork for the Lighthouse LP, One Fine Morning, and this is the cover that is shown. The LP that I have has the cover shown at the bottom - was there a different UK version of this album?

Attached Files:

2. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Paul, the lp you have is the domestic version AFAIK. At least, that's the one I had at the time. There is a Greatest Hits album released from 1974 that looks to be a slight variaton of your Dean import cover.

Attached Files:

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

the original US pressing sounds incredible, thanks to Gil Kong's mastering. what a smoker!

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Their guitar player is my good friend and neighbour and he and I agree: this needs to be released on cd!!! (True North, do it now!!!)

5. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm guessing the lower one is a Canadian pressing.It was Evolution here.
    While we're at it,what's up with the mix of "OFM" on Have A Nice Day Volume-4(?).Quad mix??-It ain't the one from the stereo LP or the 45....

6. audiodrome

Thanks for the info! :) I would like to see this released on CD also. The only CD versions of "One Fine Morning" that I have heard are on the Varese compilation, Dick Bartley's Collector's Essentials/The '70's and Rhino's Super Hits Of the '70s - unfortunately both versions make it sound like a poor quality recording.

7. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:sigh: On CD? YES please

.:thumbsup: Original Canadian vinyl

8. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Say hi to Ralph for me Johnny! ;)

9. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

The Varese version of OFM is a stereo edit to match the 45 version,but the original 45 on Evolution was mono. I went back and listened to my 45 of it and it was a mono version. All the CD versions of the long version of OFM are remixes taken from the "Sunny Days-Best Of" compilation CD. Ya gotta have the LP for the original mix. I prefer the original mix.

JF

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i'd welcome it on disc as long as it's not remixed like the Best of Lighthouse CD from 1999.

11. peter

peter Senior Member

I have this CDN. LP. Unbelievable sound, just unbelievable.

12. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I have this on cd. It's on the German Repertoire label. I think it also have 3 bonus tracks. Released in 1993. As far as I remember it also sounds great. I dont't know if it's remixed though, this is the only version I have heard. It has the Vertigo sleeve.

13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

How come some of these LPs are released on cd in Europe, and not in Canada? :(

14. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Will do! He's a terrific guy, still plays (I can hear him practice!) and he has some great tales from the road! He's a pleasure to have as a neighbour and friend and I was thrilled to find out who he was as I loved Lighthouse when I was 13 (when One Fine Morning came out). They were a great band!

15. audiodrome

I remember when my sister and I were younger, listening to Lighthouse Live and feeling really cool hearing the swear words in between songs! :p

16. luckyman

luckyman Forum Resident

I will have to pull out my Lighthouse Live lp tonight and give it a spin. Great album!

17. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I've been hoping and suggesting for quite some time that someone re-release another Evolution records release: Beast's "Higher...&...Higher" from 1970, also mastered by Gilbert Kong. It is just an amazing sounding record, not just for the folky/jazzy vibe, but the recording (by Norman Petty) and Kong's mastering.

It sure warrants an audiophile treatment.

Dale

Attached Files:

18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Absolutely correct!
    I found this vinyl album a month ago during a flea market in town. The album and cover are in excellent condition and show little wear. The sound quality really amazed me. Too bad everything doesn't sound this good!

19. peter

peter Senior Member

Thanks. This was ONE of THE LP's that "helped" me change my mind about CDN. vinyl.

20. audiodrome

The album does sound good - why does the CD version of "One Fine Morning" sound SO bad?

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Which CD version are you speaking of? The one on Sunny Days Again is a remix and the only other I have heard is on the Rhino Have a Nice Day series and it does not sound much better ...or are you speaking of the Euro CD version of the entire LP

Their catalogue does need a CD release. Please??

22. audiodrome

The one I'm listening to right now is from the Varese compilation, Dick Bartley's Collector's Essentials - The '70s.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Never heard that one - The Have A Nice Day version IIRC is done by Bill Inglot and is the original mix. I assume the Bartley version is also the original mix.

Glad this thread started. Listening to Sunny Days Again and although I do not like the remixes much, I love the songs.

24. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Paul,the version on the Varese collection is an edit in stereo made to match the original 45 edit(see my post above). It sounds like a needle drop to me. That's probably why it sounds so crappy. The original mix from the LP and the LP overall had very good sound. The Have A Nice Day version is the remix not the original mix. If the LP was issued on CD by Repetoire I would assume it has the original mix.

JF

25. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

That One Fine Morning LP was recorded in Canada, but mixed in the US.

As for the US Evolution issues, be advised that many copies of that LP were pressed by Capitol Records (at its Jacksonville, IL plant) and sold through the Longines-owned Capitol Record Club. (Longines also distributed the Evolution label itself at the time.) The Capitol-pressed copies did not use the Gilbert Kong mastering - but instead Capitol's New York studio did the mastering (with typical Capitol compression/limiter settings of the time) on the Capitol-pressed copies. (And, of course, Capitol used a dub of the LP master tape.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.