Does a good video transfer of the 1964 TAMI show exist?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by johnny33, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny33

johnny33 New Member Thread Starter

I really think this is one of the coolest shows ever ( if not the greatest pop show ever).

Can we get it on video? and, if so , what is the best transfer of it?

if this belongs in the visual threads please feel free to move it :)

thanks! johnny

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

If there is one, I'm not aware of it. When it was released on video back in the mid 80's it wasn't issued in it's entirety. Parts of the TAMI Show from '64 and the TNT Show from '65 were cut together with introductions by Chuck Berry and released under the title "That Was Rock:The TAMI/TNT Show". It doesn't have the complete performances from either film and my biggest beef with it is the sound. They took the original mono soundtrack and did a horrible re-channelled stereo track. Fortunately I can change the setting on my VCR so it'll play in mono. I'm not sure who owns the rights to the two films but it would be great if both were released in their complete original form. Two of the greatest rock films of all time IMHO.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have that 80s version of this on my hard drive as I write this. My plan is to edit out all of the Chuck Berry introductions that they added, and keep everything else, and burn my own DVD.

Love that early Stones footage, they really rock out.

4. johnny33

Is "That Was Rock:The TAMI/TNT Show" available on DVD also?

5. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

The movie's never been on any legitimate DVD in any form. I corresponded with Steve Binder (the director) about this very thing about eight years ago, and at the time he was in search of the TAMI negative -- or even an excellent print -- for a DVD release. At that time, the film's most recent appearances were in the butchered That Was Rock VHS in 1985 and an edited version on USA Network's Night Flight series in 1981. He was growing frustrated then, because neither USA or the maker of the video (Delilah, I think) could help him.

My copy is from a 16mm print that was syndicated to TV stations; watchable, but not the best. I sure hope this great movie gets the treatment it deserves someday.

7. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I would guess the video madter is long gone? This flick was basically a kinescope, right?

8. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

1.I THINK Dick Clark now owns it...
    2.I have a 'pretty good' copy.The Beach Boys' segment was spliced in from elsewhere...
    3.On a related note they showed the complete TNT Show on AMC a few years back.Good print...

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Capitol released the entire Beach Boys segment on a bonus DVD packaged with the Sounds Of Summer compilation a couple of years ago.

I have a tape of that AMC broadcast of The Big TNT Show, in a few ways, that's actually a better movie than TAMI. Byrds, Lovin' Spoonful, Ray Charles, Ike and Tina...nice follow up.

10. Cheepnik

Not really. It was videotaped at the Santa Monica Civic and then transferred to celluloid for theatrical release via a process the filmmakers called Electronovision....whatever that is. It did end up looking like a kinescope, though.

Now, if the original videotape was around somewhere, well, that would be something.

11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Probably in the same place as Zappa's video masters to "200 Motels" :(

12. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

So what was Electronovision? I didn't know either, but here the director talks a bit about it...

http://www.nealalpert.com/binder1.html

Derek

13. xios

xios Senior Member

In simple terms, Electronovision involves shooting a program with multiple video cameras, having a director mix the video onto one monitor, and filming directly off the monitor with 16mm or 35mm film. I know a couple of Twilight Zone episodes were done that way, and one of the versions of "Harlow". It was a popular process for a couple of months in 1964-65.

14. Cheepnik

So I guess according to xios's explanation, Ordway, you were right -- it was a kinescope in all but name.

15. Drawer L

Which were ERASED...:(

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Really?... that is so unlike Zappa to let any materials to be let out of his grasp.

17. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

You missed the important technical piece from the Director's interview - the resolution was nearly double 525 lines somehow! I wonder how they did it?

Derek

18. johnny33

Is there a DVD of The Big TNT Show ? OR was it just VHS?

if so where might I get it?

19. Drawer L

Sure.Did you ever see the Making Of...(Or was it true story of...)200 Motels???--That's the only thing FZ ever put out that he had NO control over...

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Neither. No official release, just clips from the film included in the That Was Rock:The TAMI/TNT Show VHS. The entire film has never been legitimately released on home video in any form. It was shown at about 4 in the morning on American Movie Classics around 2001 or so, the last time I'm aware of it being widely shown.

21. johnny33

Did you see it? If so, how did it look?

22. Alan

Alan New Member

I saw the TAMI Show twice when it first came out. We mostly went to see James Brown and the Stones. While we were big fans of James Brown and the Stones my buddy Rich(from Copperpenny) and I had arguements about who was going to close the show and who would kick whose ***. Well they were both great...

23. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

Yes, but James was just so Super Bad - Mick was no slouch, but Soul Brother #1 is a tough act for anyone to follow - especially in 1964. They were equally great on their own levels. Gotta find the DVD version with the Beach Boys spliced in. I bought a VHS version on E-Bay several years back, and it's very dark and skips in several spots (from a worn 16mm print?).

24. johnny33

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.