If this instrument could talk...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dprokopy, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member Thread Starter

So in this thread, we discover that the piano that Paul McCartney played on "Hey Jude" is the same one Elton John played on "Your Song" and the same one Freddie Mercury played on "Bohemian Rhapsody." And that got people to thinking, what other musical instruements have had such a diverse history in rock? Any suggestions?

I'll start us off:

- A (left-handed) guitar once owned by Kurt Cobain was later donated by Courtney Love to R.E.M. Mike Mills later flipped it, re-strung it and used it on their tribute to Cobain, "Let Me In."

- One of Hank Williams' guitars later found its way into Neil Young's hands, and he's used it pretty regularly over the years. It's all over Prairie Wind (and the subsequent film, Heart of Gold), and in fact the song "This Old Guitar" was written about it. (I believe it might be the same guitar he used on Harvest and Harvest Moon, as well?)

2. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Didn't George Michael purchase one of John Lennon's pianos?

3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member Thread Starter

I think Paul McCartney used one of Bill Black's upright basses on "Free As a Bird."

4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

George Harrison's "Lucy" Les Paul was owned by John Sebastian of the Lovin' Spoonful, then Rick Derringer (who was in The McCoys at the time) who had the guitar refinished in cherry red. After refinishing it, he didn't like the sound anymore and traded it in at a music store in New York. Eric Clapton bought it from that shop and gave it to George, the rest is history :D

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I didn't know that. He used Bill Black's double bass on his "The Song We Were Singing" from "Flaming Pie". I also am certain that years ago I had heard that he also used it on one of the songs on "Venus And Mars" but I can't seem to find the information now to verify that. :shrug: I do know that Linda had purchased it for him in 1974.

6. shane

shane Active Member

Derek trucks owns Bukka White's National dobro.

Shane

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Real Love

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Gary Moore managed to 'buy' Peter Green's Gibson for a few bucks.

9. reverber

reverber Senior Member

The piano used on the Flaming Lips track "Love Yer Brain" tried to talk...
    :)
    Cody

10. posieflump

posieflump New Member

The double bass played by Charles Mingus on many of his mid-1950s sides apparently previously belonged to prolific jazz bassist John Kirby, who made his first record with it circa 1930.

11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

12. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Todd Rundgren had (maybe still has) Clapton's psychadelic Gibson SG. I read that he offered to give it back to Clapton as a gift when Cream was inducted into the Hall of Fame. Clapton refused it because the guitar had too much bad karma or something.

13. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

He did - a white upright used during the 'Imagine' sessions. George used it on his 'Patience' album (don't all rush out and buy it at once :laugh:) then donated it to a Beatles museum in Liverpool.

Carl Palmer's massive etched stainless steel drum kit is now owned by Ringo.

14. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

I actually have that album. What song(s) can the piano be heard? It's a beautiful sounding piano, at least on the "Imagine" album. :)

15. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

Rundgren had the guitar sold at auction a few years back.

16. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I sold that album a couple of years ago but I'm sure it was mentioned in the sleeve notes.

17. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor owns John Lennon's mellotron
    you can hear it on the atmospheric song metal

18. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Well, nice of him to give it to Todd then...

19. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Tony Rice is the owner of the D-18.

20. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Thanks Lownotes!

It was Hank's D-45 that Marty has (accoring to my link). I can't think of a better player than Tony Rice to ge that D-18.

Note to self: why don't I have any Tony Rice CDs?

Jim in Houston

21. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Not exactly.........I think the story goes that the guitar was first given to (Apple artist) Jackie Lomax who in turn either gave it or sold it to Todd. I'm pretty sure that's the way Todd got it. Too bad Clapton felt that way about it. I know many folks were somewhat disappointed that Clapton stuck to using his Strat for the Cream reunion. A nice SG or 335 Gibson would have been nice, oh well.........
    ----- Chris

22. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Syd Barrett's old Telecaster (with the glued-on mirrors).
    Also played (at least once) by Dave Gilmour, Jimmy Page,
    Jeff Beck, and David O'List...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.