Gilmore Girls Season Seven Premiere Tonight!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by child of nature, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less Thread Starter

Are there any other Gilmore Girls fans eagerly awaiting the premiere tonight? This season should be interesting, with the departure of the Palladinos and the drama of last season...

(No spoliers, please!)

Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop seem to be pleased at having David Rosenthal at the helm. I've noticed that Alexis Bledel has been conspicuously absent from promotion for the show recently.

Any other fans?

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I'm a fan. Looking forward to seeing what the new regime brings, since I thought last year wasn't so great. The Palladinos should've left long ago, like most showrunners do. You create, you stick around a few years, you get a deal to do other shows, and you leave. Regarding Alexis, from what I've read over at Television Without Pity, she really wants the show to be over with, so maybe that explains her absence.

This thread reminded me that I wanted to change my avatar in honor of the season premiere. Lauren Graham... :love:

3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I'm a huge fan, I consider it to be one the best written programs in the history of TV. Having said that, I thought last season was the weakest of the series, and now with a new team in charge I am waiting to see if it goes the way of The West Wing, which was another show I rated very highly. My DVR is set, and I will try to see the episode tonight.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've been a fan of GG, but I was disappointed in the last season, and very wary of the new one. While I think that the Palladinos were driving the series off the cliff with stupid plot twists (Luke's daughter, for one) I truly doubt that the show can possibly improve without them at the helm. I got the impression that the end of the last season was a sort of cram-all-you-can-in-because-there-might-not-be-a-next-season, and that made it all very tedious. I expect a lot more drama and a lot less humor and a TON less warmth this season.

A possibly related observation: I like to buy TV on DVD and watch one after another, but I've noticed that GG doesn't stand up to this practice as well as other series. The near-hysteria of the verbal conflicts on this show make it hard to watch more than about 2 eps in a row. I never noticed it in first-run broadcast, but this show will give you a headache if taken in large doses!

5. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Not a fan of Gilmore Girls, but I'm a big fan of Lauren Graham!

:love: :love: :love: :love:

6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wow. I loved last season. 22 episodes and almost nothing happened. (No, I'm not being sarcastic. The show does better with the small things than with major plot twists.) Well, except that Lane had two weddings and Lorelei didn't have any. Which, between the two of them averaged out nicely.

All I ask is that they give us more Rory/Paris interaction this year.

7. dkmonroe

That was another aspect of last season I just loathed. They've turned Paris and her boyfriend (can't remember his name) into absolute caricatures. They're like sitcom or cartoon characters. This show worked well when the characters has some believability to them, but Paris is beyond nuts. It's painful to watch.

8. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of the show, but I do like the Liza Weil character, Paris.

9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I watched all of the first two seasons, then dropped out sometime in season 4. I found the way they all riff off each other to be beyond frustrating, and ultimately distracting. I liked the Paris character in the beginning. And I haven't looked at Lauren Graham the same since Bad Santa.

10. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I assumed that about Alexis...I believe she and Lauren have this deal that if either one of them wants out, the show will be over. :( I sincerely hope this season goes well and that GG will be back.

I, too, think it is probably the smartest, funniest show in the history of television. Some things about the last season was not up to par, imho, but overall I thought it was still very well written and engaging. I am wishing for more Paris in the show, too--she's hilarious, and actually someone I wouldn't mind knowing. (What does that say about me?? :laugh: )

I've found that I can watch several episodes in a row; in fact, I started into the show late, and I watched 18 episodes of the first season over the course of 4 days! GG is highly addictive. :love:

11. dkmonroe

I think TV actors in general need to seriously consider the less-than-stellar-careers of past and recent TV actors before they start planning to kill the golden goose.

On the other hand, I understand that working a TV series year after year is excruciatingly tiring, and if you cram a feature film in your year as well, it makes for a very draining lifestyle. But Ms. Bledel is young enough to handle it, I reckon.

12. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure I read that she's not planning on being an actor long-term. I think she fell into acting and the Gilmore Girls role somewhat by accident.

13. dkmonroe

Now, why can't I ever have that kind of accident? My accidents are all spilling-beer-on-the-remote kind of crap.

Seriously though, that's interesting, and I don't doubt that it's true.

14. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Why? I never saw the movie, BTW. She doesn't do any nude scenes--that much I do know. :D

I became a LG fan after her great four-episode guest stint as an efficiency expert on NewsRadio back in 1997.

15. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The story is probably in here somewhere, if you're curious enough to wade through all the pages.

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Riding Billy Bob Thornton whilst (and at the same time) enthusiastically shouting out "F- me Santa! F- me Santa! F- me Santa! F- me Santa!" is both funny and memorable. Even if she did remain fully clothed.

I bet I'm not the only guy to wonder if Luke ever asks Lorelai to call him Santa in the sack. :D

17. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Yep, thats the one :righton:

18. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I thought the premiere was pretty good. Not the best thing they've ever done, but things will take time to gel after the change in command. Not real pleased with the previews for next week, but if the CW is anything like the WB was, the promo will turn out to be very misleading.

BTW, it looked like Liza Weil (Paris) lost some weight. I liked her with a couple extra pounds.

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

We still have 13 minutes to go north of the border.

10PM seems awfully late for this kind of show. I can understand 'Queer As Folk' or 'The Sopranos' or 'Six Feet Under' being on late, but why this? Unless there's a whole of of unexpected nudity and swearing, I would think 8 or 9 would be just fine.

20. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I've only season 2 episodes of GG. The first was about a year ago. It was okay. I checked out the repeat of the finale last week and LG has never been more endearing in that episode...who wouldn't want to marry her (character)?! I missed tonight's premire episode though.

Like others in this thread, I've seen LG in other shows ("The Townies," "News Radio," and "Caroline in The City," but after the movie "Bad Santa," um, wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.