iPod/iTunes prematurely cutting off the ends of MP3s

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by semidetached, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist Thread Starter

Searching here didn't turn up anything so I'll give it a shot...

I encoded a TON of live shows using LAME. I never noticed this before, but when I listened back, the files (all over an hour) cut off the last 30 seconds or so. And I'm annoyed.

I've seen a few posts on other forums about this, but haven't found a fix - and I updated my iTunes/iPod software yesterday with the updated firmware. Anyone else have this problem and found a solution to it?

2. comfycan

comfycan New Member

I haven't fooled with I-Tunes 7 yet although I know it is supposed to be gapless. I stick with Rockbox on my primary DAP (IRiver H140), which is definitely gapless. If you can't get I-Tunes to play nice, you can alway install Rockbox.

30 seconds is a big chop though; have you tried just playing one of the LAME files in another player to make sure all of the data is there?

3. semidetached

Not yet - I play them FROM my iPod here at work, I have the actual files at home. I am told (from what I've read) that it's an issue with iTunes playing VBR LAME files. Even though it plays gapless, it has a problem with the total time of the track, and the track is longer than it says it is... so when it hits zero time remaining it stops playing even though the track isn't done.

It also does this on smaller files, but usually a smaller fraction, and thus unnoticable until you play a very long file.

Checking out Rockbox now - thanks for the suggestion.

4. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

This is a known issue with iTunes, due to the archaic way in which iTunes handles VBR files. Here is a page describing the problem and offering a fix, although I must caution that I have never tried it (I use constant bit rate AAC, myself).

5. semidetached

I had my doubts - when I reloaded the files they came up with the same playback time - but they all went beyond the negative mark and played the whole track. Fabulous, and thanks!

I also tried the Rockbox firmware but I did something wrong because it didn't change my Pod at all. Will look into this more though, seems interesting.

6. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

Yea, this has been around awhile. I'm surprised Apple hasn't addressed it by now.

The problem is only with VBR MP3 files, not fixed bit or AAC files (even VBR).

Annoying though when it happens!

7. comfycan

comfycan New Member

It's definitely "feature rich." I've never installed Rockbox on an IPod, but I know it can be done. As I understand it, you can actually keep both the apple firmware and rockbox on the IPod, and switch back and forth between the two as may suit your fancy.

I prefer Rockbox because it supports Flac, which is how I store all my music files on my computer and the Iriver. Also, I never could stand the way ITunes renames all of your music files; I like good ole' drag and drop albums, tagged, gapless, and in order. Rockbox also offers many nice DPS functions, although I haven't dabbled with them much, since I usually use my Iriver with an external DAC via the optical out.

Good luck; I can dig out some links that may help if you need them.

8. semidetached

I had an iRiver before I bought the Pod (I hated Pods until the video one came around). I loved the iRiver, but the USB connectors went out on me, and I never bothered getting them fixed. I loved the drag and drop way of doing it though, even though I've gotten quite comfortable with the iTunes interface.

Going to try installing Rockbox tomorrow from the home comp where I can concentrate. Maybe it was because I was doing it at work... :eek:

9. semidetached

Wow.

I have installed Rockbox on my iPod and so far I recommend it. It moves a bit slower, but when it started playing my FLAC files that I had backed up there, I was sold. Beautiful.

10. comfycan

comfycan New Member

Cool!
    Glad it worked out for you. One of these days I'm going to read the manual and play around with more of its functions. It's a looong manual though.

11. semidetached

It is. I printed out a copy to play around with at work and the control you have over the skins, fonts, settings, playback options... fun to explore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.