Brian Wilson to tour "Pet Sounds" with Al Jardine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

I haven't been able to find a tour date listing, but the Keswick Theater just outside Philly sent out e-mails today advertising Brian Wilson's performance there on November 19th, playing Pet Sounds, with special guest Al Jardine.

BRIAN WILSON
    SUN., NOV. 19 @ 7:30 PM
    $59 (with limited VIP seating also available)

Legendary Beach Boy founder/composer/producer BRIAN WILSON, with the 40th Anniversary Tour of the landmark album PET SOUNDS, presented by him in its entirety for the last time ever!
    Buy Your Tickets Now!

https://secure.keswicktheatre.com/Wt4/wc.dll?webtix~ShowTheDates~BRIAN WILSON

2. JWB

JWB New Member

I saw the Smile Tour at the Keswick and it was fabulous performance and a fabulous venue. I'm tempted to go to this one.

3. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Finally, we get to see Al perform "Let's Go Away For A While"!!

Seriously, I wonder if he'll be on stage for the entire album. Could be interesting.

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Too bad they left Mike off the tour. Bet he sues!

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

05????

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Too bad they left out Glen Campbell.

7. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I think it says something that since Brian "left" The Beach Boys he has worked/Performed with all of them except Mike. Mike has never been invited to any of brian's projects. Bruce and now AL but...No Mike...Hmmmmm?
    Aomm Bop Ditty!!!!

8. olsen

olsen Senior Member

It means they can do Wouldn't It Be Nice in the original key!

9. reechie

Provided Al can still sing it in that key! ;)

10. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Al was, able up to the last few times I saw them. Near the end, that lead switched over to Carl for some reason. Al's voice has stayed remarkably consistant through the years. He's not a Carl Wilson, but it works.

11. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

12. reechie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060919/music_nm/beachboys_dc

Wilson drafts Jardine for "Pet Sounds" gigs
    By Jonathan Cohen Tue Sep 19, 1:22 AM ET

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Brian Wilson will be joined by ex-Beach Boys bandmate Al Jardine for four complete performances of the group's landmark "Pet Sounds" album later this fall. The gigs are set for November 17 in Boston, November 18 in Washington, D.C., November 19 in Glenside, Pa., and November 21 in New York.

At deadline, there were no plans for Jardine to perform at two other "Pet Sounds" performances on November 1 in Los Angeles and November 12 in London, the latter of which is being billed as the final show of its type in the United Kingdom.

Wilson previously made complete "Pet Sounds" performances the centerpiece of his live shows in 2000. In recent years, he has also played the newly finished "Smile" album in its entirety.

Wilson's pairing with Jardine, their first in decades, comes a week after a California judge dismissed portions of a lawsuit against the latter by former Beach Boys bandmate Mike Love. Love had sued Jardine claiming he was the only person legally allowed to perform under the name "Beach Boys" but Jardine had toured anyway with "knockoff bands" using names such as "Beach Boys Family & Friends."

Here are Brian Wilson's tour dates:

November 1: Los Angeles (Royce Hall)

November 12: London (Adelphi Theater)

November 17: Boston (Orpheum Theater)

November 18: Washington, D.C. (TBA)

November 19: Glenside, Pa. (Keswick Theater)

November 21: New York (Beacon Theater)

Reuters/Billboard

13. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

But.... when Al came out with that horrendous BEACH BOYS (AND GIRLS) group (that included WOMEN in the line up), BRIAN sided with Mike, when Mike sued. Brian agreed with Mike - who prevailed in preventing Al from using the BB name- that the BB are a male guiatar-based rock and roll group..

14. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I assume your talking about The Beach Boys Family and Friends. Which was later changed to Al Jardine Family and Friends. And those WOMEN happend to be Brians's daughters Carnie and Wendy along with good friend Owen Elliott (daughter of Mama Cass.)

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Looks like Brian favors the east coast.

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

And, if you had the relatively rare chance to catch that band (which originally was billed as "Beach Boys Family & Friends" and later did some shows as "Al Jardine Family & Friends Beach Band" or simply "Al Jardine Family & Friends"), you would have heard a band that blew the shorts off the band actually using the "Beach Boys" name at the same time, and a band that I feel gave Brian Wilson's live shows a run as well. Jardine's band had more energy and sharpness than the actual touring "Beach Boys" had had in the previous several years even when Al and Carl were still in it, which probably had something to do with the fact that Jardine had a huge hunk of touring band members that had played with the touring Beach boys in the 70's and 80's. 1999 was really the only year that you would have had anything approaching an easy time seeing the band, as since 2000 the bookings have been very sporadic.

Jardine still tours with basically the same band, just minus Carnie and Wendy. I think the name he uses now is "Al Jardine's Endless Summer Beach Band" or something like that. It's too bad he is unable to get more bookings. Over the last few years, he's only done a handfull of private/corporate shows and a handfull of public shows each year.

17. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Hey, thanks for the history there. I hadn't really heard the group.

I had heard THE BEACH BOYS were coming to the community theatre in TOPEKA, KS, several years ago. I was disappointed, naturally, to learn that it was a splinter group with women.

I wish those guys would patch up their differences and work together again.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yeah, that was a problem Jardine had, but it wasn't his fault. He never billed his band as "The Beach Boys", it was always others (perhaps promoters, the venues, etc.) incorrectly referring to his band as "The Beach Boys." That Topeka show from 1999 makes the rounds among collectors and had some neat material performed, including "You're So Good To Me", "Girl Don't Tell Me", "Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)", "Sail on Sailor", "You Still Believe In Me", and "Heroes and Villains."

Jardine's original plan with the band was to delve into the "rarities", the lesser known non-hit songs. His setlists from 1999 show some attempts to do this, but by 2000 he was unable to get very many bookings. So, both due to the bookings he got (which were often the typical sort of state fair type shows where the hits are expected and the shows are rarely longer than maybe 75 minutes or so), and the fact that he didn't have a regularly-touring band that was able to regularly play and have a full setlist rehearsed, he was and still is usually left playing the hits and sometimes is able to sneak a few rarities in from time to time. (He was able to sneak in "Wild Honey" at the end of 1999 and into 2000 for instance.)

I saw Al's band perform in 2000 in what I believe was one of only 2 or 3 non-private/corporate shows he did that year, and the band still included Carnie and Wendy. I still say that his band vocally was even better than Brian Wilson's touring band. Al's band in terms of musicianship didn't stick to the nuances of the original studio recordings as Brian's band does, but Al's band was reminiscent of some of the classic touring Beach Boys shows of the 70's, which makes sense since several of the band members toured with the Beach Boys in the 70's (and 80's).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.