Monkees "HEAD" in Los Angeles September 8th, new 35mm print!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andrewsandoval, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member Thread Starter

Come see a brand new 35mm print of the Monkees' only movie, Head, at the Nuart in West Los Angeles - Friday, September 8th at Midnight!

You can win tickets for the show (plus the new Monkees CDs) from Chris Carter's Breakfast With The Beatles radio program this Sunday (September 3rd) between 10am and 1pm.

I will be there hopefully to give away some Monkees posters and have a quick chat before the screening.

Here's a link to the Nuart website:
    http://www.landmarktheatres.com/market/LosAngeles/NuartTheatre.htm

Hope to see some of you there!

Andrew Sandoval

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Re: Monkees Head in Los Angeles September 8th

Sounds like fun, gang!

3. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

I wish I still lived in LA! I'll tell my buddies about this...

4. Count me in!

5. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

That does sound like it will be a fun event. Unfortunetatly, I will be about 2,000 miles away here in the flatlands.

6. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I love this movie but have only seen it on DVD and on Cinemax way back when. Is this 35mm print a sign of a possible Deluxe Edition DVD?

Either way, it would be great to be able to see this on the big screen.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Wish I could make it, haven't seen Head on the big screen since a 1986 screening at the TLA in Philly. Even more trippy in a theater, don't miss it.

8. GeddyLeeFan

GeddyLeeFan Active Member

Count me in as well! Now, there's the small matter of getting there. Anyone interested in a car pool from Sweden? :sigh:

9. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I wish I could go see this. HEAD is one of my favorite movies.

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

"The Porpoise Song" - "I Am the Walrus" and "Echoes" got nuffink on this one, la.

11. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

New print :righton:

This movie is a lot of fun. See it if you can.

Next up a DVD???

12. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Since I am way far out in Florida, I can only hope that since a new print was stricken, it would be available for booking elsewhere... must contact arthouse theater!

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Hopefully the DVD will show up in the proper aspect ratio. Of course, the movie wasn't CinemaScope, but it was NOT 1:33, either. One needs only to look at the multiple-TV screen sequence during "Ditty Diego" to see the correct framing. IIRC, the Rhino VHS actually letterboxed that segment so as not to chop off the sides, but yet the rest of the film was formatted.

Check out the trailer on the Rhino VHS to see what I mean about the sides being chopped.

As for the print...I'm wondering how much restoration work, if any, was needed on the negs.

I wish it would make a trip out to the east coast. Suffern, perhaps? ;)

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

On IMDB it says the laserdisc and original DVD were pan & scan and mono. It doesn't give any techinical specs other than it is 35mm.

15. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Guys, do whatever you have to do to see this!! I was lucky enough to see it in the theater once years ago. It is totally amazing and so much better than seeing it on DVD. I'd never thought of the Monkees as a band that would blow anybody off the stage until I saw the "Circle Sky" sequence. Just unreal. Really, seriously, if anybody is even wavering in the slightest about this, run like hell to get tickets. Sell the kids, get a babysitter for the car, whatever!

Geoff

16. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I've never seen this movie...
    I've heard about it, but for some reason it never made it on my "must see" list. If it comes out on dvd I will give it look.

17. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

It's available on DVD now!

18. Beatlelennon65

Hmmm. Well, I dont really have an excuse then, do I?

19. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Err, if you could possibly pass through the UK it would be appreciated!

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

21. Beatlelennon65

I was hoping this link would show that it was OOP and around 100 bucks so I would have an excuse again! :D
    I think they have this at Blockbuster, I'll get it when I have a free rental.

22. Although I'm still planning on going, I drove by the Nuart today (on my way back from Record Surplus) and noticed that Head is only being shown at midnight. Not that a midnight showing doesn't fit this film, but I hope it doesn't keep any new viewers away.

23. andrewsandoval

The print was actually struck about 10 years ago and has remained wrapped in paper (never even mounted on reels). Rhino was excited to theatrically distribute this movie when we got the rights and had five prints made from the neg. Since that time, there has never been the need for more than one print of Head (as you might have guessed). I was given a private screening of a test print about ten years ago and it looked great. I dropped off the print already for the Nuart to check through in advance. Previous screenings have been from an older Columbia print we own that's in pretty good shape, but is starting to smell like vinegar.

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Andrew,

is the original Rhino DVD in the "correct" aspect ratio? That is, are me missing some of the intended image with the 1.33:1 presentation?

25. andrewsandoval

Everyone brings the aspect ratio up and often disputes that the DVD is correct. However, I sat for a week while they did the transfer and color correction and was told that was all that was on the neg (as far as info). Nothing was cropped in any direction. In one of the early scenes you can see the black mat slide up when Micky is falling (they were going to blow this up to take away the mat, but I told them to leave it as proof this was the full screen). As you can see in the Ditty Diego part, all the screens fit perfectly on the screen.

It is possible they lied to me, but there would be no reason why they should. People just seem hell bent on seeing everything with letter box bars. Like the Kids Are Alright where the new DVD has all the old TV stuff letterboxed that was never widescreen to begin with (such as Shindig!). What is the point? The people who did the restoration told me that to make it letterboxed they would have to cut off information to stretch it out. I just wanted it to be like the original. I can assure you it is not pan and scan. I can't speak about the Rhino VHS, which I had nothing to do with.

fatwad666 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.