The CHURCH remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serj, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serj

serj Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know that EMI Australia re-released some of the Church albums in remastered 2 CD version. Has anyone tested the new remasters? I want to buy 'Starfish' remaster but have some doubts:)

2. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

I have seen these on line but never in a store. And unfortunately none of the reviews I've read talk specifically about the 2CD version w/bonus tracks. I am very tempted to buy one. I would actually like to check out the booklet and listen to the disc before buying though because sometimes these 2CD reissues are just a poorly done marketing gimic. I have many of the Church CDs, some of which are out of print. I was delightfully surprised with the G0-Betweens 2CD reissues. If these are in any way like those, I would go for it. Starfish was such a good CD it may be worth taking the chance.

3. serj

After writing my first letter i went to the shop & buy "Starfish". Thanks God, it's sounds good. The sound is warm, open, volumetric, detailed, but not sterile & disturbingly digital. I had original USA edition of 'Starfish' CD & prefer remaster. I have not enough time to listen the bonus CD, but the main album is Ok:)

4. art

art Senior Member

I have those. They vary: 'Starfish' is pretty good, for example, but 'Heyday' is too bright and Blurred Crusade is in the middle of the two ...

5. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I've got them all. Some day I may find time to play them...

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley Active Member

Just finished listinening to the original Starfish pressing, and after reading your reviews I will pick up the remaster.

7. serj

I think that this is a right decision:) Additionally the bonus CD is very interesting.

8. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

Hmmmm.....do a search here. If i'm not mistaken, many members preffered the originals discs for sound quality over the remasters in past threads :sigh:

9. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

well, the same could be said for virtually every remaster issued. the fact remains that these remasters are must-haves for Church fans just for the bonus material available on each CD.

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Bingo:righton: I have the remasters of most and they are essential for the bonus material alone. Mastering on the titles is by Don Bartley who also did the Hoodoo Gurus reissues. Some are definitely on the bright side but I am very glad I bought them while the price was right.

The Inglot/Perry mastered discs on Arista are a better option for those who cringe at the word "remaster".

One to avoid - Ravens "Almost Yesterday 1981 - 1990" - Sounds loke a blanket is over the speakers:eek:

11. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

the remasters of the first five albums (Skins/Heart - Heyday) are maximized within an inch of their life. The sound is just a big, flat wash of guitar/bass/drums/vocals with no dynamics and no room to breathe. The late 80's Arista CDs (mastered by Bill Inglot and Ken Perry) sound much better.

The Starfish and onwards remasters are also big-n-brite. On a positive note, I think the bonus tracks on Starfish/Gold Afternoon Fix sound much better than they did on A Quick Smoke at Spot's. It's almost like they slipped undetected past the deadly maximizing rays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.