New York City Record Stores - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zardozislove, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello All,

Future Wife and I are going to Tarrytown, NY for our Honeymoon in October and she has told me that we can spend a day record shopping in New York City. I have never been there and I am looking for suggestions so I don't waste any time. The primary goal here is albums and 45's, 1960's on up. If there are any stores up in the Tarrytown area, that would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

Keith

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

If you don't want to fart around, stick to the L-line tour and go to Academy's two LP-oriented locations first:

1. W. 10th btw 3rd and 4th Aves, East Village, Manhattan (there's another store across the street from this one that may be worthy of investigation too.)
    2. North 6th Street btw Berry and Wythe, Williamsburg, Brooklyn

After that, I'd recommend checking out EAT Records in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.
    124 Meserole Ave. between Leonard and Eckford. If you walk from North 6th, which will take about 15 minutes, you can check out a new shop that's on Bedford Ave - I forget the name, but it's at North 11th or North 12th.

Thereafter, these are the various choices, none of which are nearly as important/productive, and all of which are at least a little bit further away from the L.
    1. Bleecker Records, Bleecker St. just west of 6th Avenue/Carmine
    2. Generation Records, Thompson St. between Bleecker and W. 3rd
    3. Subterrenean Records, Cornelia St. between Bleecker and W. 4th
    4. Future Legend, 9th Ave in the low 50s, Hell's Kitchen (very small selection)
    5. Good Records, E. 3rd St. between Avenues A and B
    6. Rockit Scientist, St. Marks between 2nd and 3rd Aves (also plenty of CD stores on this block)
    7. Academy's CD location, if you care about them, is on W. 18th between 5th and 6th.
    8. Some would suggest Finyl Vinyl, but I'm not sure I've ever been. Above all, don't go to Bleecker Bob's or House of Oldies (the former because they are terrible, the latter because they price things absurdly).

Other Brooklyn:
    1. Somethin' Else, 5th Ave between 1st and 2nd Streets, Park Slope, Brooklyn
    2. unnamed record shop, 5th Ave and 9th Street, Park Slope, Brooklyn (they never know what they have, dig around)
    3. Rocks in Your Head (just moved to Brooklyn, but I don't know where, and their stock was getting pretty rough when they closed up shop in SoHo)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.