Seattle Record Shops

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mrwolk, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting! Thread Starter

Going to Seattle from Vancouver BC on Thursday...any Record Shop (used vinyl)suggestions..any info much appreciated. Ed

2. withnail

withnail Forum Resident

Bop Street Records in the Ballard neighborhood has the most vinyl I've seen in a long time. Also try Easy Street in Queen Anne, decent selection of vinyl and cd's. EM Music in Capitol Hill has tons of cd's and a fair amount of vinyl. Jive Time in Capitol Hill specializes in vinyl and they have a good selection as well. There's also a Jive Time in Fremont, and next to that one there's a Sonic Boom that recently opened a new basement store that strictly has vinyl.

3. mrwolk

Withnail...many thanks!!Ed

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Jive Time is great. There's a thrift shop across the street from them that has more GOOD dollar records, turntables, nick nacks.

5. mrwolk

The thrift shop across from which Jive Time..Capitol Hill or in Fremont??

Thanks for the tip.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The Jive Time in Fremont is 'kitty-corner' from the Fremont Antique Mall, which you have to get to by going down stairs from the sidewalk. Jive Time puts a bunch of stuff down there.

There is also Golden Oldies on 45th, just a few blocks west of I-5 and between Fremont and the University District. The U-district has a new shop with a lot of rare stuff on 45th, right below or under the well known Neptune theater. Then on the 'Ave' itself - once block east - are three good shops. All within walking distance of each other. And I might mention there are two good Half Price Books - one on Capitol Hill and one in the U-district only 3-4 blocks from the Ave. I find good stuff at those all the time.

7. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

The U District is good - Tower, Cellophane, and three other smaller shops. I used to find more at Cellophane in the past when I visit Seattle, but it's still worth a visit. One of the stores is new and is a street over (near the IHop) and down some stairs.

Everyday Music has a good used CD selection. Sonic Boom isn't bad. Easy Street has great selection.

This is a decent article http://www.thefalcononline.com/story/5354

8. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I visited Zion's Gate for the first time, they are on Pike, you can check their website here:
    http://www.zionsgate.com

I was looking for reggae 45's so I didn't go into everything, but they had a diverse selection of everything from country and soul to rock and punk. There are a number of other record stores within a close proximity, be it by foot or car.

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Everyday Music - Lots of bargains if you look in the "scuffed" bins, plus they have a nice overstock section. The rest can be overpriced at $8.50.

Tower University - OK used section. Sometimes I find good things here.

Tower Queen Anne - Only if you're in the area.

Half Price Books University seems to have lots of nice classical. The other stores are usually hit-or-miss. They have been known to put out a MFSL or Audio Fidelity for $5.99 occasionally ...

10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

EM deals in bulk so 8.50 means almost anything. I've found MFSL's and even a few DCCs in there.

A $1.99 too!

11. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

I would suggest Landing Discs, located at 6317 Roosevelt Way NE. Great store and the owners are very nice.

Helio

12. withnail

withnail Forum Resident

Ed. Let us know where you went and what you scored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.