Cleaning enbedded debris in vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinyldoneright, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal Thread Starter

Occasionally I come across a LP that has a piece of white debris embedded in it, even after cleaning it is still in there, what is the best way to remove it? I have popped it off with a fingernail but that cna leave marks.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's best to try and use "small moves" in trying to repair ugly contaminants on vinyl. I usually drop 1-2 drops of Isprophynol on it and see if it dissolved. A small piece of paper towel against a finger with slight pressure. Sometimes you can see/feel it working, sometimes you can't. When you can't, it's most likely damage is done. I've also used Goo Gone in experimentation.

3. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

Sometimes the white stuff is a pressing defect from non-virgin vinyl (like a chunk of label from a record that was melted down). Not much you can do about those -- it's "in" the vinyl. Sometimes it's just some scrap, like a chunk pf paper pulp that got embedded in the grooves. You can usually pop these out with a fingernail (gently) or wet it and get it moving with a discwasher or similar brush.

Personally, I care less about marks on the vinyl than I do about whether or not the defect makes a sound. But then, some folks think I'm crazy because I'll fix a skipping record with an exacto knife (don't laugh -- it works about 95% of the time).

4. Tone

Tone Senior Member

I've had good luck using a toothpick and magnifying glass. Wet the toothpick in alcohol or cleaning fluid and pick at it carefully. A toothpick is soft enough to work without scarring the record if you're careful. Works great to get some of those hidden skips out too.

Tone

Critter likes this.
  5. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Like bangsezmax said, if it is a small piece of paper melted in the vinyl, there is nothing you can do about it. I once tried to "fixed" my German Arista pressing of The Alan Parson's Project: Pyramid. I removed the "paper grooves" that had the scratchy noise and rendered the track totally unplayable - part of the grooves was gone.

You can loosen small dust-like debris stuck in the grooves by using isopropyl rubbing alcohol or deep record cleaners such as LAST Power Cleaner, Record Research Lab Super Deep Cleaner, and Buggtussel Vinyl-Zyme Gold. To apply them you can use a Q-tip, or even better, the LAST record brush.

After you remove the debris, remember to wet clean the LP.

6. I use a Q-Tip cotton swab, and dip it into 70% alcohol, and rub it off. If that doesn't do the trick, nothing will.

sound chaser likes this.
  7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Here, here, the best method, even better if you have a stereo zoom microscope, like I have been meaning to buy for the last three years. :sigh:

8. ChrisG

ChrisG New Member

I confess, I have done this.

9. Gugaz

Gugaz Forum Resident

Here is what I wrote yesterday on audiogon:

"You won't believe my newly found method of cleaning records! And you won't believe its results!
    Are you ready?
    The idea has been lurking in the back of my mind for a while, but somehow I have never actually tried it until yesterday and, oh boy, does it work indeed!
    Wood glue!
    That's right, wood glue! You apply it with a brush, wait for it to dry and then peel the thin membrane off the record and that's it. It comes off easily and the results are astonishing.
    I tried it with Keith Jarrett’s "Köln Concert" on ECM which accompanied me through long nights in College way back then, and the results were incredible. I couldn't keep myself from laughing! This record has a rich piano sound with a nice ambience and it was, for many years, my own personal test reference whenever I tried any component, but it has seen better days, and the sound was heavily distorted.
    I tried washing, pumping, carbon fibre brushing, hair drying... you name it, but, sadly, it was dead! Up until last night, that is. All of a sudden it was all back there again: the full sound around each note; the reverb; the harmonics; Keith's silly vocals; the audience...! I couldn't believe it!
    Now, I am no chemist and I don't know if there is any negative chemical reaction going on between vinyl and glue (and I would appreciate if you inform me about it), but my guess is that glue is chemically inert and it just settles on the grooves and, as it dries, it glues every piece of dirt from the groove's walls and bottom leaving no particles behind.
    So it is a "scientifically UNTESTED procedure". You do it at your own risk. Try it on a hopeless record first. You owe it to yourself.
    When I left home for work this morning I left about 15 glue covered records spreaded all over the place... This evening I’ll see the results...!
    Sorry for such a long post, but I had to share this with you."

10. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Well! You may have something there. I'm presuming you are talking about PVA, water based wood glue...I can see that may work. I'll give it a go on an old junker.....

:thumbsup:

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Please report back on your results.

12. AHSLong

AHSLong New Member

Whoo! Whoo! I'm going to try it too! I've worked with water-base acrylics and wonder if latex paint would also work?! I'm trying it now, will wait for it to dry, then report back after I try it on a "clunker". Many thanks!!

13. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

I recally that the "glue trick" was mentioned on these forums once before. No guarantees on its effectiveness from me. ;)

14. Are you talking Elmer's Glue here, or what brand did you actually use?

15. Gugaz

Gugaz Forum Resident

I don't know what Elmer's Glue is...
    I used that white water based glue you get to glue wood with.
    I have to say the results are really something.
    There's one thing 'though: when you apply the glue you have to be careful not to leave little bits of glue separated from the rest, because then it is much trouble to get them off and you might end touching the record with your fingers.

16. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

How about trying to remove 36-year-old baby urp from your dad's old Argo Ahmad Jamal LP? Not saying from whom the urp originated, but y'know......

17. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants New Member

:eek: explain the procedure ... its sounds insane enough it just might work

18. emkay

emkay Senior Member

The glue thing is friggin' genius -- remember how clean it made your hands when you were a kid?

I'm testing this right now on a not valuable record with some sentimental value. If it makes it play ANY better it will have been worth the 20 seconds it took to do.

Will report back!
    -mk

19. Are you using Elmers?

20. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Wow, that's pretty wacky, but if it works, that's cool....

Thinking along this line, I wonder if you could use that
    face mask stuff that your wife or girlfriend puts on their
    face and then peels off.

Hmmmmmm.

Looking forward to more info!

21. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal Thread Starter

Im gonna try this on a Frijid Pink LP I got today for a quarter, I am using Elmers Carpenter's Wood Glue

22. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Any suggestions on technique? How much should I apply?

I might not wait for an answer to try this myself, though :D

Chris

23. emkay

emkay Senior Member

Elmers Carpenters Wood Glue.

It has almost all dried clear at this point. Peeling time is coming soon:goodie:
    -mk

24. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Elmers Glue? You'd better peel it off completely. And don't put too much. :yikes:

25. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

I used Elmer's All Purpose Glue and I can't peel it off. :laugh: How do you get it started?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.