Hmmm...Did Abkco REALLY lower the list price of the Phil Spector 4CD box to $20?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

If you look at most retail sites on the internet, they're currently showing the LIST price of the Phil Spector 4CD box (Back to Mono) at $19.98, with their normal discount on top of that...

As you may recall, a couple of months ago Costco had these boxes for about $15. But at the time, they were the ONLY ones selling them at that price (everyone else had the box at about $60+), and they sold out relatively quickly.

I'm wondering what's going on here. Maybe they found another stash of them in the warehouse and they're just blowing them out? Surely they can't be manufacturing new boxes to sell at that price...Maybe everyone is quoting based on a single distributor who has a small number at that price?

Curious...

Kwad

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, ABKCO lowered the list price to $19.98.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Speculation is that ABKCO may be clearing them out cheap in preparation for a new Spector box set.

4. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Is this a box set worth picking up?

5. BradOlson

I don't have it, but it is a great chronicle of the Wall of Sound, in mono.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

ESSENTIAL

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The sound quality is tough on the ears.

8. BradOlson

The low price must indicate that it had not been selling as well as they hoped it would and yes, I just placed an order at my local Book World for this boxed set and it came up $19.99 list price.

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

For twenty bux, you can handle it. Essential material that could have been mastered better.

10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Remember its all glory mono, and some people have trouble listening to mono no matter what. Plus its the 'wall of sound' you are listening to. I dont think its that bad, but those sides can sound better indeed...

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

At least it isn't NR'd(I clearly hear tape hiss at the end of "River Deep Mountain High").....

A great deal for $20!!

Evan

12. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Perhaps ABKCO's licensing agreement with Spector is about to run out?

13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Whatever the reason, it's a good (even if unintended) marketing experiment for Abkco - price elasticity of demand.
    Maybe, The Cameo Parkway Box Set will be next.
    Product sitting in a warehouse vs. sales and revenue.
    We'll see.

14. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I just ordered it. My procrastination came in handy for a change.

15. jrice

jrice Senior Member

... the power of this forum! Amazon sold out since this thread was started. It went from "in stock" at $16.99 to being available from other suppliers only.

postscript: Geez, now it's back in stock again! Nevermind.

16. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Me too! For me, the procrastination has been since about 1995, when I saw the box set marked down to around $40 or $50 at a Hastings in Texas....

I went back a week later and it was gone ... I asked about it and the guy said that they'd shipped a bunch of clearance box sets back to the distributor because they weren't selling....

Now I just ordered it for $17 from Amazon.com! I guess it will be worth an eleven year wait?

Craig(VC).

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I know it won't matter in here but, do you think his murder trial and his weird appearances hurt the sales?

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I never understood the level of animosity to the sound of this box in other threads here.

As bluesbro22 says - this box is essential. I have had more joy out of it that practically anything else in my collection.

The only track I know for sure has NR is The Paris Sisters - I Love How You Love Me. But that is anlogue dynamic filtering not NoNoise. Still bad news but most other tracks are fine as far as I remember - it's been a while since I listened critically to every track!

Whatever Spector has been like in his personal life his work as a producer is unparalleled in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned he produced the best records ever made :cool:.

19. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Believe it or not, it retails here in Toronto for around []$100.00, and has ranged from around $80.00 to $100.00 for as long as I can remember!
    If ever there was a time for me to pull out the plastic, it's now. Glad you scored it too.

20. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

I posted a couple months ago re Costco having this for $15. I'm glad I got it and was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. One of the 2 Costcos in Miami still have it in stock as of this past weekend, so copies may still be floating around at other Costcos as well.

21. nowhere-man-in-e

nowhere-man-in-e Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered it from amazon.com for $16.99.

22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Well, the word hasn't reached Abkco yet.
    Their website for purchase clicks to J & R Music World, where it's on sale for $57.99 (List $70.99 less a generous $13.00 discount).

23. mono-o-mono

mono-o-mono Forum Resident

I havent seen it discounted on the west coast of Canada either. Good thing for ecommerce and plastic

24. macready

macready New Member

Amazon has lowered their price to $14.99.

25. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I have it on vinyl. That's good enough for me. Does it still come with the MONO button?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.