Beatles & Rolling Stones MFSL CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Dec 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

This is probably a FAQ, but plowing through the posts using the keywords "MFSL" and "Beatles" is proving too laborious . . .

I have read discussion of the MFSL/London Rolling Stones CDs, which were referenced as the best-sounding until the recent Abkco hybrids (and some still insisted that the older discs were still better, at least on some tracks). I see these pop up on eBay frequently, usually sourced from Argentina. Are these legitimate releases?

When scanning the MFSL listings there always seems to be Japanese-style mini-LP MFSL Beatles CDs. Reading the item descriptions, these are sourced from the tapes MFSL used to create LPs, not master tapes. The scans look like professionally-done issues, and much is made of their superior sonics. So are these legitimate releases, or very well-done boots?

The prices are about in line with what I would expect for South American and Japanese CDs, so that doesn't help. The Beatles auction I looked at was "private," with no bidders listed, often an indication of a gray market item.

2. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Don't know about the CDs form Argentina, but the MFSL Beatles are bootleg.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Indeed, all the MFSL Beatles knockoffs are boots; some sound really good, others obviously NR'd to death. The Stones' MFSL masters have been used unofficially on SOME Abkco redbook and SACD discs; but not all, I suspect, by any means. We may know more when Luke and David post their updated Stones FAQ.

ED:cool:

4. JWB

JWB New Member

These are reportdly FAKE, pirate copies that contain the OLD ABCKO mixes - a total rip off!

These are bootlegs.

You might want to do some more research before investing money in these. There are several different "series" of remastered Beatles albums and they all different. They are usually sourced from original, unplayed vinyl or an unplayed MFSL LP.

Which brings my question -

What do the "Beatles remaster" people use for the stereo Magical Mystery Tour? Wasn't that never released entirely in true stereo on vinyl?

Have any of them patched together a Mono/Stereo Past Masters 1&2 from the various sources?

I would love for someone with what they feel are the "best" remasters of every album in mono/stereo to get in touch with me! I hate my Apple CD's!

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I believe the MoFi transfers were used on the original set of CDs put out by London. CDs that were released in Japan only *probably* don't use the MoFi transfers, but who knows. Some of the original ABKCO CDs may have some MoFi transfers, but most *don't*. And I don't believe any of the SACDs used any MoFi transfers.

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Re: Re: Beatles & Rolling Stones MFSL CDs?

It was eventually released in true stereo, except for the end of I Am the Walrus, which doesn't count.

First it was issued in the U.K. as a double-EP set only, containing the songs on what became Side One of the LP. The EP set was issued in both mono and stereo, and had the familiar cover/book, only smaller and without the surround that's on the front of the album.

The U.S. market wasn't ripe for EPs in those days so it was made into an LP for (by?) Capitol, who used fake stereo on a couple of the tracks. The LP was being imported and sold in Britain in sufficient quantities to convince EMI to put out a domestic LP, but oddly enough they used the Capitol master, complete with fake stereo. This master is also what MoFi used on their LP.

When the Germans released it on LP they did it in full stereo, using at least one new mix (Baby You're a Rich Man) made specially for that album. I understand a different mix of Strawberry Fields Forever is used on the German LP too, which does *not* have the standard MMT cover/book.

Then of course the DMM digital remaster, made from the CD master, is in full stereo too.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

All of the MFSL LP Beatles CD's are needle drops.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The Beatle cds are a scam. Ebay should be ashamed for allowing such theivry to exist on their site.

9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

It's amazing how long eBay has allowed bootlegging to go on. And not just Beatles' titles.

Also, there is a music store near me that sells numerous bootlegs that's been in business for many years. I don't understand why they haven't been closed down.:confused:

10. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I agree. It seems they do infact sell. The sadest point is that they could be traded for, some people just don't know any better.

11. JWB

JWB New Member

Re: Re: Re: Beatles & Rolling Stones MFSL CDs?

I thought the Germans used the true stereo master for the cassette only, while the vinyl was just like the American?

12. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Probably because no one feels like narcing on them, because bootlegging hurts nobody but the insanely gullible.

-D

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beatles & Rolling Stones MFSL CDs?

You're thinking of MoFi, who used a copy of the US master for their LPs, and the German master (or copy thereof) for their cassettes.

14. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beatles & Rolling Stones MFSL CDs?

The German MMT LP was always true stereo, all the way through.

You are thinking of the MFSL lp's - which used the crappy US "mono re-channeled for stereo" master on Penny Lane, Baby Your A Rich Man and All You Need is Love. MFSL did use true stereo for THEIR cassette.

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Germans had FOUR songs mixed especially for their LP..."Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane", "Baby", and "All You Need Is Love". "Strawberry" had been mixed for stereo earlier, but this mix was not used for their LP(though it was used for the American MMT LP).

The German LP is the ultimate edition, IMO.

16. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Matrix Man is right except that All You Need Is love Had previously been mixed for stereo earlier than the other songs (Oct. 29,1968) for inclusion on the Yellow Submarine soundtrack LP.

Penny Lane's first stereo mix wasn't until Sept. 30, 1971

Baby You're A Rich Man on Oct. 22, 1971

Strawberry Fields Forever (new stereo remix) on Oct. 26, 1971

The above 3 stereo remixes were done specifically for EMI Electrola Germany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.