KISS Question/Theory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROG U.K., Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile Thread Starter

Listening recently to the track "A World Without Heroes" by Kiss from the Music from "The Elder" album.

It is no secret that Kiss utilized "ghost musicians" over the years. Does anyone know who played the lead guitar solo on this track (legend has it that Ace Frehley was upset with the band's decision to record a concept album and he did not actively participate in the album's creation. He literally "mailed in" his only contributions, the songs "Escape From The Island" and "Dark Light."

So I go back to the original question and pose my own theory. Since this was basically a mostly Bob Ezrin production, could it be possible that the solo was performed by none other than...................................

David Gilmour?

The more I listen to the solo it has all of his trademark sounds. Just a theory, stranger things have happened. If I am crazy please tell me.

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Re: I have a KISS question/theory

I've never heard that song (or album) but I like the theory. I've heard that David Gilmour would play with practically anybody after the unpleasant experience of recording The Wall.

3. bumper

bumper Forum Resident

Re: I have a KISS question/theory

Does Ezrin himself play guitar? I seem to recall reading an article that said he played some guitar parts on Destroyer. (Tho this may be faulty wiring in my memory.)

4. WizardGlik

WizardGlik New Member

I know Ezrin plays bass at least - saw a photo of him playing one for Pink Floyd during the making of The Division Bell around 1993.

Even when Kiss was together (1973-1980), rarely did each member appear on the studio records (except the first 3 albums tops), but considering this period of Kiss, I'd say it was Paul Stanley. Knowing Kiss, they would advertise for all the world that Gilmour played on their record.

5. PROG U.K.

Interesting information, but if Kiss wanted to maintain their mystique and Gilmour couldn't be credited due to contractual reasons...it just sounds too much like David Gilmour. Then again, Paul Stanley is a very melodic player as well.

6. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

7. cosmosis

cosmosis New Member

Heheh, I can't imagine Gilmour playing with Kiss, but it surely sounds like him!

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Can you imagine Lou Reed writing lyrics to KISS? He wrote this one! What about Frank Zappa and Bob Dylan? They co-wrote some tunes on Gene's latest CD!:agree:

9. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

I found this at http://www.kissfaq.com/reference/song_who.html

MUSIC FROM "THE ELDER" (1981)
    The Oath - Paul Stanley on lead guitar
    A World Without Heroes - Paul Stanley on lead guitar
    Dark Light - Bob Ezrin on bass
    Escape From The Island - Bob Ezrin on bass
    I - Allan Schwartzberg on drums
    Odyssey - Tony Powers on keyboards
    Only You - Gene Simmons on rhythm guitar

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul Stanley absolutely played lead guitar on this song. No question. There are interviews and obviously the video itself to prove that. Paul issurprisingly a pretty good lead guitarist when he wants to be.

11. PROG U.K.

Well, I have a new found respect for Paul Stanley and his Gilmouresque guitar work on this track.

12. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It's a beautiful solo for sure!:righton: And it comes from a great song as well!

13. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Yup, definitely Stanley on lead, definitely a beautifully haunting solo.

14. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Definitely Stanley on lead guitar - a beautifully constructed solo. I once ran into him at a record store in LA and complimented him on this exact solo. He seemed genuinely surprised and appreciative. Super nice guy!

MY theory was always that Paul modeled his solo on Gilmour's style. Also, "The Elder" might have been the first project Ezrin worked on after he finished producing "The Wall" (an album this track was obviously influenced by).

Non-Kiss fans: Check out the track "Under The Rose" (another track from THe Elder). The best Moody Blues track the Moodies never did!

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Elder as a whole seems like a perfect record for 70's classic rock and even prog fans who don't like KISS.

16. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

This probably KISS' most under-appreciated album; I wonder if it's because it doesn't really seem like a KISS record? ( I like what Gene Simmons once said about it: he likened it to a "bad Genesis record.")

Still, of all the KISS records, it seems like Bob Ezrin came the closest to capturing the whole "Knights In Satan's Service (K.I.S.S.)" imagery that was flying around a lot in their heyday. IMHO, on any given day, I'd probably choose "Elder" over "Destroyer." Except that "Elder" had the better drummer.:D

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Second that. It's far from being a bad Genesis record. The only reason Gene bashes it is because it flopped saleswise. Wonder why nobody bashes equaly pretensious and overproduced yet inferior musicaly but highly succesful Destroyer?

18. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

I saw the DVD of "Alive IV: Symphonic KISS," and liked the acoustic part, where the crowd was asking for "A World without Heroes," and Paul looks out and says something like, "No, we're not doing anything from THE ELDER." The crowd voices mild disapproval and Paul says something like, "Come on; how many of actually own THE ELDER?" The crowd gives quite an ovation, and Paul looks genuinely surprised!

19. bluemt

bluemt Forum Resident

truly awful

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

21. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

When I was 15 or so all my friends liked Kiss. I liked Aerosmith, The New York Dolls, B O C, etc... But I have to admit after hearing remastered Dressed To Kill (third album from 75), that is a fun rock album from the old high school days.

22. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Yes, your post was awful. Got anything to contribute?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.