Can Someone Tell Me How to Spot a Canadian Rubber Soul CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Side, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw a Canadian Rubber Soul CD today. My very foggy memory says that it could be the disc with the original mix, but I can’t quite remember. And since the search function is disabled, I can’t look up all the great scans of the inserts and the disc itself. Can someone jog my memory about this?

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

1. Catalogue # C2 0777 7 46440 2 0 or C2 46440 2 0.

2. Back cover has the Apple logo (green Granny Smith) and the Parlophone box with GBP symbol logo.

There is a blurb, "Parlophone is a registrated trademark of EMI Records Limited. EMI is a registered trademark of Thorn EMI plc. Made in Canada. distributed by EMI Music, 3109 American drive, Mississauga, Ontario, L4V 1B2. Registered User. Unauthored coping of thsi recording in any form is strictly forbidden."

The latter pressings of the George Martin digital remix has a trademark declaration stating, "Beatles, Apple and Apple logos are trademarks of Apple Corps Ltd." I believe this is printed vertically on the back cover, along the right hand side. The original mix pressings do NOT have this declaration.

3. The disc has a Parlophone logo on the left and a Capitol trademark declaration on the right - no mention of Apple on the actual CD.

Most importantly, along the inner rim of the CD, it states, "Made by/ fabrique par Disque Amerique Canada." The later pressings of the Martin remix are pressed by EMI, itself.

3. Another Side

Thanks, Jack. The CD I saw must be the remix. It has the blurb running up the side of the back cover. :shake:

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Mine had a different number from the one stated above.

If it is manufactured by Disque Americ or Cinram it is probably the Canadian one you are looking for. :)

5. Another Side

Does yours have the blurb running up the side of the back cover?

6. Another Side

The CD I saw looked exactly like this except for the inner ring. I don’t recall what it said, but it did not say “Disque Americ”.

[​IMG]

IIRC, the back looked exactly like this:

[​IMG]

7. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I don't have it anymore, so I can't check (I don't think it had an Apple logo). Go by the disc and not the packaging.

8. moptop

moptop Forum Resident

How to Spot a Canadian Rubber Soul CD?

I have been trying to collate all that has be written on this subject, difficult when you can't go to the mall and pick up the variations.

But what I have so far is available here:

DA - Rubber Soul

If any one would like to drop me a private mail with missing info., corrections or better still images feel free to do so.

I will create a cinram page or add details as and when I can locate teh data.

All The Best Moptop

9. moptop

moptop Forum Resident

Canadian Help!

Help!

Can any one provide the images for a similar page to my Canadian - Rubber Soul web Page?

10. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Don't worry about the covers, just check the cd itself...covers can be swapped, it's the disc that matters.

If the inner ring says CINRAM or DISQUE AMERIC (not positive on the spelling but there's only one with AMERIQUE or AMERIC on it) then you have the original mix, rare Canadian cd.

I've been looking for months now, and only found one...there can't be many of them.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I mispelled 'Americ' as 'Amerique' in my post. 'Disque Americ' is the correct spelling. Sorry for any confusion.

12. Re: How to Spot a Canadian Rubber Soul CD?

Nice job :righton:

Now if I can only find one of these CDs!

13. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

I concur. Can't go by the packaging. Gotta read the inner ring.

A couple months ago, I was in a shop and saw a couple of sealed copies of Help! with the same tray liner as my Disque Americ CD.

After all these years, I didn't think it could possibly be a Disque Americ or Cinram pressing. Still, with copies trading at several hundred dollars on eBay, it was worth taking a flyer on it.

I rushed home, broke the seal, checked the inner ring, and saw ... EMI.

Oh, well.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Have you seen a lot of "manufactured by EMI" CDs out there as you've been looking?

15. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

McCartney sings "Baby, you can drive my car -- eh?"

Past Masters likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.