Audiophile Bargain -- 3 CDs $14.99

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

The following three-CD set is available from towerrecords.com (and presumably elsewhere on the 'net) for the ridiculously low price of $14.99:

Beethoven - LES 10 SONATES POUR VIOLIN ET PIANO, performed by Petr Messiereur and Stanislav Bogunia (1994-5/Calliope FR)

This cycle features the most natural, best-recorded violin sound I've heard. While relaxed and solid, you can really hear the differences in the bow pressure the violinist applies to the strings. At some points the bow seems to be almost resting on the strings, while at other times a firm, solid pressure causes the violin sound to open and bloom outward. (Sorry, I lack what I assume is a terminology for these things.)

Anyway, a friend of mine bought it after a rave review of the performance in American Record Guide -- and if you think lukpac was picky about the Rolling Stones remasters, try sneaking a mediocre Beethoven cycle past the guys at ARG -- and was pleasantly surprised by the demo-quality sonics. He used these discs to select speakers, cable, and a digital processor. Even a classical neophyte like myself found this music extremely revealing of what components were doing to the sound.

If you have an inkling you'd like the music on this set, order now. The label, a small French independent dedicated to good sound and performances, is using the set to promote their more recent offerings, advertised in the booklet that comes with the discs. A real bargain.

2. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

I've got a CD with the last three sonatas (8-10) from this set and I agree that it's an excellent performance--energetic but not overdriven. And yes, the sound is very good.

3. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Thanks for the post Ron I just ordered a set

4. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Thanks Ron, I think I'll go order a set now. :)

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

Catalog Number

I forgot to list the catalog number of the set, which can help when sorting through an internet vendor's search results:

Calliope 3251.3

I hope everyone likes the music. It really is beautifully performed and recorded.

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Re: Catalog Number

No need to worry Ron, I already found it and ordered it without much trouble at all. I'm pretty good at finding things at the online retailers, maybe because I've been at it for so long, about 7 years or so now. :)

7. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Thanks for the info. I will give it a listen and see what i think.

8. A+B Sound main location has a copy for $19.99 Canadian. Nice price! I live 10 minutes from the store. I'm off now. Thanks for the heads up Ron. :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.