LiveFeed Video Imaging and the Kingston Trio... coming this summer!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

...and believe me, I couldn't be happier. :D

For those who may be keeping score, the upcoming PBS pledge drive documentary on the Kingston Trio titled "Wherever We May Go" will be the public debut of my kinescope restoration system, LiveFeed Video Imaging. I was fortunate enough to have been contacted earlier this year by the fine folks at Research Video to try my hand at processing a couple of clips that they wished to use in the show, and not only did the LiveFeed cuts pass muster, there's also a very small "before & after" promo piece that we've put together which will appear on the DVD version that will be offered through local PBS stations.

Broadcasts of the special will vary from city to city, depending on your local PBS station's telethon schedule, so please (as they say) check your local listings for the time and date in your area. At this point, I'm told it should be around July or August.

And, though I cannot release **any** other information now, I can also say that another LiveFeed Video Imaging project will be released later this year, in connection with a major classic television archive. Sorry to be a tease, but understandably, the production company wants to strategically announce the title and release information, so I will, of course defer to their wishes. With whatever shred of modesty I may still possess, however, let me say that it should be a highly anticipated project, and we're all mighty pleased with the way it turned out.

Well, that's it really... I certainly don't want to SPAM the board, but I did want to let everyone know so they can catch the Kingston Trio program-- and support public television!! :)

Enjoy the show!

-Kevin

2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Joel,

Do you have a link that describes your kine restoration system itself? Sounds pretty interesting.

Does this actually take a filmed kine and make it look "video-ish" again? Do tell....

3. Joel Cairo

That's the ideal... we want the kinescope film to once again look like the original broadcast signal (the "live feed", you see :) ). And, given the proper source material, LiveFeed actually accomplishes that goal quite nicely.

No web page up yet, but that should hopefully be coming soon. The biggest difficulty is that the effectiveness of LiveFeed can't be shown with still images on a web page, or with the greatly reduced resolution of a streaming video clip. It's really best demonstrated on an actual television, and to that end, I've created a **lot** of demo DVDs for our clients.

But the important thing is that this has now permanently raised the bar with regard to the release of classic live television broadcasts. With a proven system now in place, there is no excuse for anyone to continue to issuing programs that simply look like old movies, nor should fans of those programs have to settle for that. Because that's not what Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Jackie Gleason or a thousand other performers looked like when their shows were first aired... their shows were **live**, with all of the immediacy, fluid movement and image depth of a modern live broadcast-- and I assure you, once you see one that way, it dramatically changes the way you look at **all** of those shows.

And of course, the content providers love the new copyright status that the process gives their material (to paraphrase R.E.M., "It's the end of PD as we know it..."), so everybody wins.

Anyway, that's a quick overview of what we're doing around here... as I said, I hope everyone enjoys the show, and I promise to keep everyone updated on the other project that I alluded to above, as I'm allowed to release details.

-Kevin

4. Joel Cairo

Well, I'm now informed that the first scheduled PBS showing appears to be on Georgia Public Broadcasting, on 8/3/06 (the first **confirmed** showing, anyway... everyone else-- please check your local listings).

And by the way, here's a link to Shout Factory's page for the DVD, which will be available on 8/29/06, and which should contain a short DVD extra explaining LiveFeed, and demonstrating a little bit of the restoration that we did for the program:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/selecti..._may_go,dfef9f5a670b6044f4b77238daaa68e2.html

Hope everyone enjoys the show!

-Kevin

5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Sounds really cool, Kevin. Finally, we'll get to see I Married Joan just as it was broadcast. :biglaugh:

Seriously, though, this is exciting news. I won't say what I suspect the next project is, just to save you a "I can neither confirm nor deny" comment. :D

Jason

6. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I hope for the best...but remember...this is from archival 16mm film off an ancient cathode tube. Got any Buddy Bolden CD'S ? :hide:

7. Joel Cairo

Actually in some cases, it's 35mm film off a rather sharp and well-calibrated kinescoping set-up. (Though not often enough, I will admit...)

And like our host, I've got a few tricks up **my** sleeve, as well. You may be surprised. :)

-Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.