Is The Ringo on Drums Version of "Love Me Do" on Past Masters at the right speed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Side, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member Thread Starter

I was listening to the Ringo on drums version of "Love Me Do" from Past Masters today, and I was surprised by how fast it sounded. For a while now I had only been listening to the Dr. Ebbetts needle drop, which is noticeably slower. Does someone who has the actual single know which one is at the proper speed is?

"Love Me Do" with Ringo on drums

2. Another Side

Anybody? :)

3. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Amazing that you posted this now. Just yesterday, I was comparing the PM version to Ebbetts' needle-drop, and the PM is definitely faster. As for which is correct, the Ebbetts plays at the same pitch as the Andy White version on the CD EP box, and also the Andy White version on my needle-drop of Die Beatles. They weren't diddling with playback speed back then, so I would assume the Ebbetts version is more accurate. Yet another thing that makes the PM needle-drop unacceptable.

4. Another Side

Mmm....that's interesting. The Ebbetts needle drop sounds more natural to me, but there does seem to be a huge difference in pitch between the two, which gives me pause.

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

How do these compare to the earlier Capitol US Rarities needle drop version?

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

If this helps, my original Parlophone 45 with Ringo on drums matches exactly the key of the re-recorded version; they are both in the same key and should match pitch.

Attached Files:

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

That's just it. Even without comparing to anything else, the Ebbetts just sounds right. I've never heard any complaints about speed problems on his needle-drops, so barring any reliable information we might hear from here on, I think we can rest easy that he did this track right.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

mmmm....shiny :love:

9. Another Side

I just had a thought. Presumably John used the same harmonica on both the Andy White version and the Ringo version, so at least the harmonica's fixed pitch should match on both.

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The Ebbetts stuff is spot on. His cart is slightly bright but they are among the best needle drops I've heard.

11. Another Side

In case my first post wasn't too clear, this link has clips of the PM version and the Dr. Ebbetts's version.

12. Steve, you just couldn't resist showing it off again, could you? :D

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I got that copy from Gort Joel Cairo. Such a pretty label design; can't understand why they ever changed it. In fact, all the EMI labels became generic in 1963 I guess (HMV, Columbia, etc.) A shame.

Back to the thread..

14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The harmonica was in fact what I used to compare the pitch. :)

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Just for clarification, which DESS needle drop are we talking about here? He does so many different ones, duplicating the same songs several times on different albums.

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I'm referring to the one on the Ebbetts UK Singles Collection.

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Thanks. I suppose we can assume he used different sources when working with, for example, his version of Past Masters and the US version of Rarities.

18. Another Side

I just compared the CD EP of the Andy White version to the needle drop. The harmonica is not quite at the same pitch, but it's pretty close. The Andy White version is taken at a faster tempo, so maybe that's why they speeded up the needle drop on PM.

19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I don't have either of those DEs, but he supposedly used the US vinyl of the respective albums for those titles. The LMD on his UK Singles Collection is supposed to be sourced from a first-issue Parlophone 45.

20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I think the pitch match is close enough that we can assume the Ebbetts is at the right speed. You have to account for the fact that they're different performances all together and that John's harmonica isn't always pitch-perfect at any point in either version. :) Also, the fact that Paul's bass is out of tune on the "Ringo on drums" version doesn't make comparing any easier.

21. Another Side

I tend to agree. BTW, I added the first 15 seconds of the Andy White version for comparison.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have the original 45 and PM, but I haven't listened to the PM version in a long time. I will try to remember to compare the original 45 to the PM version tonight.

23. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

But your link on that page points to the DE version...

Derek

24. Another Side

Thanks for catching that, Derek. I fixed it.

25. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Just curious...Which version do you guys prefer, Ringo's or Andy White's? I have to go with Andy's...not that the drumming is any better or worse. The Beatles performance is just more solid all around IMO. Plus Ringo is on there on tambourine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.