Chili Peppers approve vinyl TP's. Red vinyl OK'd and "Stadium Arcadium" good to go

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Just got word that John Frusciante and the Peppers approved the test pressings of our mastering of "Stadium Arcadium". They raved about it according to WB. That's great news (for Kevin and I) and for you; it means you can hear the album in actual master tape quality.

So, the test pressings from RTI are approved and the band also loved our idea of using "Red Hot Chili Pepper Red Vinyl" for the regular weight albums. 180 gram versions will be nice thick black virgin vinyl.

Warner Bros. told me that Kevin Gray and I have delivered what will clearly be the definitive version of "Stadium Arcadium". Very flattering to us to be sure but best thing is that you the consumer get to hear this album in powerful dynamic sound.

Folks, this is a great sounding album; 28 songs; eight sides of rock & roll bliss. Wait until you hear the title track in glorious wide range sound! It will change your world (as Bill Inglot would say). If you still don't have a turntable, this is a damn good reason to get one.

Brownd likes this.
  2. Baz P

Baz P Active Member

Congratulations on what is obviously a fine piece of work :righton:

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Well that's certainly good news.

What's the release date?

4. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Congratulations Steve and Kevin! Maybe your work will stir things up (in a positive way) in the recording industry. People do still care about sound quality and are willing to pay for quality sound.

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Question....will the red vinyl be better or worse quality then the black vinyl....
    In otherwords...what is recommended?

thanx! Will be picking this up when it comes out for sure!

6. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Great news Steve! :goodie:

7. Wonderful, excellent, brilliant! Congratulations for being awarded this job in the first place, obviously your reputation speaks for itself.

It is good to know that a recent RHCP album will exist in a form where I can't complain about loving the music, but loathing the sound quality.

Great to hear the band loved your work.
    It's about time that some of my favourite music was presented in a form that resembles the master tapes...
    Any move a foot to create definitive versions of the other Warner RHCP albums? I've sent messages to the band (via the fan club) encouraging them to do so.
    Call me crazy, but I invested in an entry level turntable, mainly due to the prospects of this release. I've spent too many frustrated years being bitterly dissapointed with the CD quality of recent RHCP releases, so I felt I should put my money where my mouth was, and get out and support S.A. on vinyl.

8. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Very Cool, well done Steve and Kevin.

Now when can I buy, I'm just itchin' to hear this!

I'll be in LA, 9-12 June, will I be able to buy a set before flying home?

JJ

9. John

John Senior Member

Great news Steve! I hope other record companies will follow in WBs footsteps.

10. I hope Warner Bros. follow their own foot steps and re-issue their other RHCP albums in the same way... if only...

11. claypool

claypool New Member

This is great :edthumbs: . Can't wait to listen to this...

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Fantastic!​

Thank you WB!!!!!! :cheers:

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

14. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Will there be a Steve Hoffman forum discount? :laugh:

15. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

16. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I am not a vinyl expert either, so I would like to know the answer to if I can only buy one which version should I buy. Let's assume price is not the factor.

17. I guess the 180 gram (black vinyl) version, isn't that why they make the heavy pressings, because they are better on good turntables?

18. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Maybe. Heavy pressings might just be more profitable too. So are we saying the red vinyl pressing is just to be cool? :confused:

19. Aman

Aman Forum Resident

Well 180g vinyl doesn't warp as easly, right?

Steve, I really cannot wait to hear this! I've been waiting for a good RHCP release, and this is the one - but I thought that getting a good-sounding one would be impossible. As it appears, I was wrong. I'm highly anticipating this!

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Dudes, chill out (or chili out), :)

Both will sound great, both are virgin vinyl. One is the thickness of a regular LP and will be much less money, the other is the approved audiophile thickness and will come with a hard cover scrapbook... Take your pick, be happy.

Any more questions about this type of thing in general? Be happy to answer 'em but start a new thread! :)

21. I am wondering if you'd be willing to explain any special approaches you took when mastering the album? Was it a difficult album to do, or was it a "let's bypass the mastering console" job? :D

Was most of the album mastered the same, or did different songs require different mastering tactics?

Any photos from the mastering sessions would be great, if you are happy to share them of course.

22. mikedean

mikedean New Member

Congratulations and thank you! I will be buying both copies to show my appreciation, and because I love coloured vinyl!

Hopefully more RHCP mastering jobs are offered to you in the future!

23. Chili

Chili New Member

Very excited about this!!! :goodie:

About the weight/thickness...I wouldnt guess there would be an earthshattering difference between 180 and 150. 150 is a good weight.

24. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Great song and red vinyl???!!! :eek: I really do need to update my turntable.

25. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'm going to choose the 150G red vinyl as I don't have a VTA adjustment on my TT. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.