Steve's update RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Amazing sounding analog masters for LP confirmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

UPDATE ON THE LP SET OF "STADIUM ARCADIUM":

We started mastering the vinyl at AcousTech today and all I can say is: WOW!

We have 28 master song reels and let me tell you, the mixes are all powerful, very dynamic, tuneful, exciting and quite high fidelity sounding. All I hoped for AND MORE.

I give you my personal guarantee: YOU WILL NOT ONLY LOVE THIS ALBUM BUT YOU WILL LOVE THE WAY IT SOUNDS ON THE TWO VINYL VERSIONS.

Do not miss this one. We were all (including the WB executive who was at the studio) blown away by the power of these original "unmastered" analog mixes. My palms started sweating listening to the first notes of the first song. AMAZING DYNAMIC RANGE! When later we cued up the title track and played it full tilt, when it was over and I looked around, to my surprise the studio was crammed with people, all jaws hanging open. I had not even noticed them come in; I was totally lost in the music (always a good sign). I can't wait to hear it again (a better sign!)

Seems like I'm gushing and I guess I am. The songs are so intense and powerful and the emotion of the music is really translating well to the vinyl medium. It's just like being there. This is a must have for you Chili Peppers fans or anyone who likes music. This is a band on an inspirational roll, revitalized and immediate.

Do you get the idea? :) This is your chance to hear these 28 songs in "master tape quality" for the one and only time. Don't miss this on LP; spread out over eight sides for maximum dynamic range, mastered, plated and pressed at Record Tech, Inc. (RTI).

As I've mentioned, the vinyl versions will be mastered by HOFFMAN/GRAY at AcousTech from the 30 ips analog mixes and will be issued TWICE on vinyl from Warner Bros. Records: First on 4 LP's in regular 150 gram vinyl (possibly a neat translucent "Chili Pepper Red" vinyl) and a special 180 gram 4 LP version in deluxe slipcase with special giant booklet.

ALL ANALOG RECORDING, MIXING AND MASTERING FOR RECORDS!

DON'T MISS THIS ONE (and this ain't hype); this is Steve's Album Of The Year for sure.

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

3. mikedean

mikedean New Member

Oh dear, if they are going to possibly release a coloured vinyl as well I may have to buy both releases!

4. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

5. chaz

chaz Senior Member

oooh boy, I better dust my turntable off! :D

6. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

:goodie: :D
    Excellent!!, im seriously looking forward to this now.

I told my mate, who is a huge RHCP fan that you were mastering and it was definitely gonna be pretty great, kept my fingers crossed that the mix wasn't a dud. Thanks for confirming it's all good.

I'll definitely be buying this set now no question, and my mate will be gettin a needle drop to convert him into a Hoffmanite! ;)

JJ

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Count me in!

Oh wait, this isn't one of those forum raffles! ;)

I must have missed the post where you announced that you were mastering it.

Steve, you got me all excited about this and I'm not even a big Chili Peppers fan. I like their stuff, but if this is a major awakening for them and it sounds great on vinyl, then I'll pick this up when it's released. What a difference from the reports here regarding the CD quality!
    This is definitely good news for analog fans and the war against the loudness trend. Music can be loud without being LOUD!

8. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Be great to hear a bit more about the mastering as it progresses Steve?

JJ

9. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I just jizzed myself.:yikes: :yikes:

Can't wait for this!

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That sounds great Steve!!! I will be picking up a copy of the new album/ You need to get them to let you and Kevin remaster "Californication". The right way this time!

11. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Steve, this is what I wanted to hear. After hearing the poor sound quality of the CD, this really gets me back into the Chili Peppers.

Can't wait to hear it!

12. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

strange thought, but would this open up a consumer class action against WB and the CD mastering engineer for defective product ?

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I heard this record already (not Steve's copy) and it IS a great record.

You can keep listening and want more..... It holds your interest effortlessly.

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Time to send my table over to the Turntable Factory for a tune-up. :agree:

15. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

So it all looks as if the messed-up sound on the CD was a result of the mastering, not of the recording itself.

How about having Hoffman/Gray also do a 96/24 DVD-Audio stereo version for those of us who do not have vinyl equipment? Life can't be that unfair that this cannot be made to happen.

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Fair? You can pick up a decent turntable for under $200. I found an older 80's linear turntable in a thrift for $10 for a backup, upstairs somewhere in CT. Sounds great!

And all the cheap vinyl you can eat at most thrifts, used record stores and yard sales.

Expand yer mind. Digital should not be your only diet of music.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I spent $30 on vinyl today... half of that was one record, but with the other $15 I bought seven more records. :thumbsup:

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

With Steve and Kevin's and Stan Ricker's initials starting to appear in several new LP's, it's starting to shape up as an exciting time in new music on vinyl. Great news.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I have to figure out a way to get the turntable downstairs to the main system....I have no place to put it. :shake:

If the price is right, I might just have to get this.

20. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Sckott, admit it, you're the 'vinyl monster' (vinyl version of the cookie monster). :D

Nah, I have an old turntable (not great, though) stored somewhere and still have some 100+ vinyl LPs mostly from the 70s on a shelf here at home, but I do not listen to them because my current amp has no preamp and I just can't get myself to inves on one.

Yet, I have recently been enjoying old needle drops I made a long time ago unto cassette, which I have recently copied to digital and recorded to CD on my car. :)

21. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

The vinyl resurgence continues. Whowuddathunkit. :goodie:

22. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

:goodie: :goodie: :goodie::goodie:

I hope Steve and Kevin get to master the new Paul Simon for LP. :thumbsup: :D

23. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

Hotd@mn it's going to be Christmas in July! :righton:

24. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Awesome news. :righton: Go Steve! Go Kevin!

Imagine if this 2-LP set sells very well.....would other RHCP titles be possible? Hopefully, the money will talk!

Dan

25. Sarchi

Sarchi New Member

Sssssssssmokin'!!!!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.