Walgreens/Rhino 'Soda Fountain' comp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Just in case there are those here who go in for this sort of thing, Walgreens drug stores here in the States have a exclusive 10 song comp released in conjunction with Rhino Special Products and Rock River Communications called Songs From The Soda Fountain. It's a nice little comp with a nice picture of an old Walgreens on the front and a soda fountain manned by a couple of 'soda jerks' on the back. The same Walgreens store on the front of the booklet also graces the cd label. The booklet inside contains the recipe for the original Walgreens Chocolate Malted Milk!! Very cool. It 's only about $6 or $7. For that price, I went for it.

The tracks:

1) What'd I Say-Ray Charles

2) Great Balls Of Fire-Jerry Lee Lewis

3) La Bamba-Ritchie Valens

4) Blue Suede Shoes-Carl Perkins

5) Yakety Yak-The Coasters

6) The Loco-Motion- Little Eva

7) Blue Moon-The Marcels

8) Do You Wanna Dance-Bobby Freeman

9) Barbara Anne-The Regents

10) Save The Last Dance For Me-The Drifters

Those interested in knowing...What'd I Say, Yakety Yak and Blue Moon are in stereo. All the others are mono.

Attached Files:

2. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

Reminds me of the old days of Rhino, before they were spending so much of their time and energy on the likes of America and Deep Purple...

3. Hawkman

It's actually a nice little compilation. Some great music on here and music that I generally don't purchase. I went for it this time and it's great.

4. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Clapping

Can you tell me if the hand claps are present under the lyrics
    You gotta swing your hips now
    Come on baby
    Jump up, jump back
    Well I think you got the knack

and during the later saxophone break?

My original 45 has the hand claps, but none of my reissues do.

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Not to threadcrap, but WHY do all stores today either have "WAL" or "MART" in their names?

Thanks Hawkman for the heads up on a fine looking comp! I agree that this is the sort of disc that RHINO used to release, on a regular basis. Could be a sign of better days again at Rhino! Well at least until EMI gets their hands on them and gives them the Ted Jensen treatment, they'll never know what hit 'em!

Chris C

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

[OPINION]Rhino is still releasing some well executed box sets. [\OPINION] Has Rhino released many compilations made exclusively for a retailer?

thanks for the notice, Hawkman. Does the disc indicate who mastered this CD?

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have a 1993 Rhino comp that was designed exclusively for the U.S. Post Office, that featured a "Rock 'n Roll Stamp book and a CD with 20 tracks including 3 songs by Elvis!

I'm getting ready to sell this set here soon, in the classifieds...VERY rare!

Chris C

8. Hawkman

Hi guys,

I am at work now which is a little after 12 noon Eastern. I'll be home in about an hour and answer your questions about hand claps on The Loco-Motion and mastering. I honestly don't recall and credits for mastering but I will look.

I just remember for some reason that The Loco-Motion sounded very bright and loud to me.

9. Hawkman

This is the first time that I have seen the "Rhino Special Products" imprint. This was done in conjunction with Rock River Communications which, according to their web site, has a history of doing cd comps like this for various stores like The Gap and Pottery Barn.

10. Hawkman

Questions answered!

Manos,

There ARE indeed handclaps on this recording at the points you mentioned a few others.

Stereoptic,

There is no mention anywhere on the cd of who mastered it. The only clues are that it was manufactured by Rhino Special Products and produced for Walgreens by Rock River Communications. That's it for credits outside of song credits.

In addition, Forum friend, and I'm proud to say personal friend, Stu Phillips who produced The Marcels' Blue Moon had this to say when I asked him in an email about Blue Moon being in stereo.....

Thanks for the info. The stereo 1/4 " tape was just a back-up to the monaural master. "Blue Moon" was recorded as a mono session. If I remember correctly, the stereo had the band on one track and the vocals on the other. Interesting that whoever put this together managed to find the stereo after 44 years. Even the EMI release last summer of almost all of the Marcels' recordings doesn't claim to be in stereo.

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I have yet to see the Mono mix on CD. All of the CD's in my collection with this track have the Stereo mix. This includes discs released many years ago...

Bob :confused:

12. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

[​IMG] Founded in 1901

13. Hawkman

Hmm. Could be! This is the only version that I have at all, much less on cd so I wouldn't know. Evidently the EMI release last year has the mono?? I don't have it so I don't know.

In addition, Steve had this to say about the Blue Moon sessions in another thread:

In this case, Stu remembers incorrectly. BLUE MOON was recorded on 1/2" three-track tape on an Ampex 300-3. The mono version was recorded on an Ampex 351-1. Big studios almost ALWAYS did this after around 1958 no matter what they were recording.

14. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

In this case, it's because Charles Walgreen opened the first store.

15. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Charles Walgreen, Jr. is still alive...born in 1904.
    I'm on my way out the door to go pick this one up. There's a Walgreen's about a mile from here.

-Bud

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sounds cool! I'm gonna check my local 24 hour Walgreens...
    thanks!

17. Hawkman

If any of you guys actually try the malted milk recipe in the booklet, let me know. :D

This IS a nice little comp. And at $5.99, it's the right price.

18. CaptainOzone

To these ears "Blue Moon" sounds like the 1986 remix from the 3 track work parts done by the late Bob Hyde. A nice job, if a bit dry.
    "Save the Last Dance for Me" is in mono (good).

-Bud

19. Hawkman

Since Rhino had a hand in this, does the mix you speak of appear on any of their cds??

20. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Thanks for the 'heads up!'

21. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

I think Mr. Jensen does fine mastering. :confused:

22. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I will have to check this disc out. On a related note, anyone familiar with a store called World Market? They to have a CD for them put together by Warner Special Products as well.

23. CaptainOzone

Re: Blue Moon
    I ripped both the Walgreen's track and the track from Billboard Top Rock 'n' Roll Hits (of) 1961, Rhino R2 70622, and compared them using Cool Edit 2000 + Studio. They are both from exactly the same digital source as they stay in sync perfectly.
    Please don't take my comment above to mean I don't like this track, it's STEREO and a top notch job. You'll just never match the old Bell Sound mono mix unless you have a time machine.

-Bud

24. Hawkman

Thanks!! As I said, this is the only version of the song that I have at all. I'm glad that, but for two other tracks, the rest of the cd is in mono. It just seems 'right' that way. :)

Anyone know about the 'hand clap' issue in The Loco-Motion that Manos was talking about earlier in the thread?

25. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

The version sans handclaps was the "hit" version in the UK. Here, the "hit" version has one more "bounce" with the handclaps. This probably goes back to 1962 and the tape dub that was supplied to the UK. See this thread from 2003 in the archive:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14194&highlight=Loco-motion+Eva

Bob :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.