New Iggy & The Stooges Album This Year....Steve Albini Producing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stateless, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

2. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The Stooges were amazing at Little Steven's Garage Rock festival in the summer of '04. The most visceral rock and roll experience on the planet. I felt almost the same way when I saw them in the summer of 1970, but the reunion show was more together and energetic. Incredibly so.

3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Albini, the most overrated producer/engineer on the planet.

I'm ok with a reunion, but get someone else to produce, they're gonna need more cowbell fellas.

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i saw The Stooges first reunion gig at Coachella 2003. amazing. i'm looking forward to this set. i like Albini.

5. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

I like Steve Albini, but i really hope Jack White has no involvement.

6. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Hopefully Albini's involvement will mean at least one thing: beautifully-recorded analog sound.

I remain skeptical that they'll write any songs of note, though.

7. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

I have my share of Big Black records, just hate his work on In utero, Rid of Me, Jesus Urge Superstar & anything else he produces. I'll bet you his work with the stooges sounds a lot more like Raw Power (production wise) than Funhouse.

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

You mean, like it was mixed on a malfunctioning Trident console at hyperspeed by two guys who had a stash of cocaine and hadn't slept in three or four days?

I kind of doubt it.

9. Stateless

I like Albini's productions, especially the Breeders POD album. I have the Stooges live DVD from a couple of years ago and they sounded great, especially Iggy's voice. I couldn't believe the energy he still had. He's going to be 59 this year. :eek: I wonder if he still will be able to deliver.

10. cdice

cdice New Member

I was also at Coachella when the reunited Stooges played. Awesome. As far as Steve A. producing: bring it on! I saw Big Black perform live on the second floor of a Salvation Army Store (I'm serious) in Columbus, Ohio. Think I still have my ticket stub somewhere. There couldn't have been twenty people. It was so cool. Santigo and Albini sat up this reel-to-reel on a metal, fold-out chair and just screamed and played along. Very original way-back-when. Yeah, I think Steve A. will be a nice compliment to the Igmeister. Looking forward to it big time. I'm assuming Mike (from firehose/Minutemen) will still be handling the bass guitar responsibilities?

11. oblique_parallax

oblique_parallax Forum Resident

I heard that Jack White was playing bass. I certainly hope not!

12. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

I have no problem with Albini, either.

Who do you think should produce it?

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

oy vey. nothing against Jack, but Mike Watt was the perfect replacement. i hope you're wrong. :)

14. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

I was at that show, it was great. In addition to the energy that comes with playing for the hometown folks, Iggy jacked the energy up because the show had been delayed a week due to the big power outage that hit the east coast and midwest.

Looking forward to the new album, it might not match Fun House or their debut, but I'll bet it will be a fun disc.

15. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Thurston Moore or Lee Renaldo, too bad Guy Stevens is gone, I'd even give Henry Rollins a shot. Someone who'll give it a warm sound, I'm confident the Stooges will provide the energy.

What Albini produced records sound so great? (and I know my avatar was 'produced' by Spot, I like it in spite of the production).

16. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

All IMO, YMMV, etc. but I think these are some great albums that benefit from Albini's sound:
    Slint Tweez
    Ut Griller
    The Pixies Surfer Rosa
    Zeni Geva Desire for Agony
    Brise-Glace When in Vanitas
    Tony Conrad Slapping Pythagoras
    The Ruins Graviyaunosch
    Palace Music Arise, Therefore & Viva Last Blues
    Melt-Banana Scratch or Stitch
    The Ex Starters/Alternators
    Danielson Famile Fetch the Compass Kids

IMO, Steve Albini the Producer and Engineer is without peer and I'm really looking forward to this Stooges release. Steve Albini the Outspoken Critic can be loudmouthed and grating, but as long as he's behind the boards it doesn't matter.

17. Stateless

I totally agree. Watt is great. So are the Minutemen. :agree:

18. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I saw them at the start of this year, and they were incredible...

It was very embarrasing though as they played at a festival and there were hundreds of people singing "Now I wanna be a STAR" along to I wanna be your dog..

I will definately give this a look.. :)

19. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

20. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

If you don't like the mix, there'll be a complete remix released in 2031.

I saw the Stooges do all of Funhouse, then half of the debut album as an encore last year. It was amazing.

21. Eric

Eric Member

22. reverber

reverber Senior Member

Re: Good-sounding Albini productions.
    I was always fond of The Wedding Present album "Seamonsters." Especially the drum sound and dynamics.

Cody

23. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I think Steve Albini is great, in no way overrated, and most certainly the man for the job. Maybe you feel he is overrated because when you listen to an album he produced, you don't really hear a "producer's touch" like you would with say Eno; it seems like Albini doesn't do anything. But that's precisely what I like about him, and I think that's what would work for the Stooges.
    Two albums produced by Albini, both released in 1995, and that I hold in high esteem in terms of sound, production choices and good taste are Pacer by The Amps and Viva Last Blues by Palace.

24. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Nah, he's not even 20 yet in Iggy Years. :agree:

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

For a studio project, it's entirely possible that Ron Asheton would play both the bass and the guitars. He played some bass on a every Stooges album except for "Funhouse", including all of the reunion tracks on "Skull Ring".

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.