Beatles Complete UK Catalogue Remaster 2006??Pt 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by william shears, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william shears

william shears Senior Member Thread Starter

Noticed we had 500 replies on the original thread so I thought it might be easier to start a sequel, less pressure on the system. Is that OK Gorts? (If not close this one down and we'll continue with the original.. :thumbsup: )

2. ArchieBunker72

ArchieBunker72 New Member

I read a review on Amazon that someone spoke to the vice president of sales at Capitol, and one of the future plans is the entire Beatles catalog remastered with booklets of rare photos and 5.1 surround..

3. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

And locks of Beatle hair!

4. william shears

Last posted in the prequel thread yesterday...

It seems to be looking like this:
    June/July - PPM, WTB, HDN, BFS
    Oct/Nov - H, RS, R, SP. Help DVD.
    Feb/March -MMT, TB, AR, LIB. MMT DVD, LIB DVD
    all stereo/mono when applicable.
    As I've said throughout this thread I believe this is all really happening, the paperwork is out there and I suspect the stuff is being manufactured as we speak. But as also stated by some people here the record of Apple/EMI/Parlophone does not inspire confidence that such projects always go through to the conclusion expected. I'll REALLY believe this when I can physically check this stuff out in the record shop. Until then just giving heads up to what's on the agenda.

The amazon-Capitol-guy-on-the-phone thing. Is that for real?

5. ArchieBunker72

Who knows....there's a few "nuts" out there but it sounded like a legit posting.

Are these due in 2006 or 2007 ? Cant wait!!! :goodie:

6. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

No way, too much product in too quick a time span. Apple has a market roadmap that stretches out at least a few more years. This plan pretty much blows the whole wad in the next 12 months.

7. ArchieBunker72

Yea but isnt that how it was done in 1987 ? I remember getting the "first four" at Crazy Eddie's in March or April, and then the next 3 came out right after that...Then Sgt. Pepper was in June. The White Album was in November of that year.

8. ArchieBunker72

A nice idea would be to have Help, MMT, YS & Let It Be as either a "dual disc" with the movie on one side and the album on the other, or at least a 2 disc set for each. As far as I know Yellow Sub also went out of print on DVD recently.

9. Nah, that way they can sell as many as possible units before any new format comes out.

10. william shears

Heres what I said yesterday Veech:

"Sorry I don't know any specific details about re-mixes etc. I get the impression that the roll out for these may be so 'clumped' because the company is looking for a big cash injection in a short period of time. What I have noticed down here in NZ is that the racks in the record shop are bursting with the new vinyl editions of the '87 masters. This makes me believe that they may be purging wharehouses of old stock in preparation for the proposed remasters.
    As for the YS album/mono? I think that's done already via YSS and I don't think they are going the way of the US albums in presenting fold-downs, only the genuine mono mixes. One would presume that there will be some kind of compilations that tidy up the singles and ep's..just my guess here."

You may be right. It does seem to be a huge blast of product but it seems that maybe finally Apple is realising that they are falling behind in comparison with the other big reissue names (Elvis, Stones et al) who have better sounding, better packaged archive work out there.
    I still think from what I've been told and seen that the first four are all set for June/July. As for the rest?
    Who knows, as I said in the post above I'll REALLY believe this when I've got the damm things in my hands

:)

11. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

Until then... I've got... The Early Beatles... and ANNA !!!... in STEREO...
    I feel like it's 1963... and I'm... 13 again !!!
    Oh... Yeah Yeah Yeah !!!

I am diggin' it....................

12. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

"If" EMI paid attention...., the demand is there. Mirror, Dr.E are not starving.

13. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

I don't quite agree (I don't like dualdiscs, myself--they won't play in any of my CD players, or in my PC), but that's not why I'm posting. I think, but am not sure, that the space limitations on dualdisc wouldn't allow for a full-length feature film to be on one side of the disc. I've been told that the audio side can only fit maybe 63 minutes' worth of music, FWIW--I don't know if that's strictly true, though.

Of course, I do agree a combo pack of CD + DVD movie would be pretty cool. :righton: Didn't Rhino do that a few times, when they had the license to release those "Classic Albums" shows on DVD? I seem to remember that in one of their catalogs, they were advertising a combo pack with the Eddie Kramer/Experience Hendrix "Electric Ladyland" CD and the EL Classic Albums DVD.

As long as the sound isn't totally NR-ed to death (I'm sure they'll still use it, or overuse it, anyway), I'll still be happy with plain old mono-stereo. Especially if they manage to do it for "Pepper" and the White Album (woudn't that end up a box set, though?).

14. ArchieBunker72

I kind of agree myself...I cant really picture the Beatles on dualdisc anyways...I personally would be happy with plain-old stereo & mono 24bit remasters as they're doing with the Capitol albums. I like the mono versions of everything from Help through the White Album...I believe that stuff would sell quite well. A remake of the unreleased Yellow Submarine EP with the actual mono versions this time might be nice too. That would include the "full length" version of "It's All Too Much".

Who knows...maybe they're going to market this stuff like the Capitol albums...box sets of four at a time(?).

15. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

Anything's possible with Apple. I never saw the YS Songtrack or LIB Naked coming. The Capitol Albums weren't as hard to guess about, given all the Dr. Es, Beat Records, and etc. putting them out.

I'd like to see the actual YS mono mixes used, too. Since the mono song masters seem to have been remastered for the YS DVD's mono track, they have to know where the tapes are. A full-length "It's All Too Much" would be nice (it's actually my favorite new song from the soundtrack, that and "Hey Bulldog"), but I still wonder if they might hold that back for a rarities or box set project of some kind.

Of all the Beatles mono I've heard, my favorites are probably MMT and Revolver. I'd like to hear the "wrong" mix of "Tomorrow Never Knows" that got yanked from UK pressings on the first day--one of my "rarities" CDs supposedly has it, but it doesn't match Brennan's description and sounds like the same mix from the US mono LP. The mono mix of "I'm Only Sleeping" on Yesterday & Today is also pretty trippy... but I'm drifting wildly off subject. Sorry. :)

Yeah, I may have a few EQ quibbles about Beatles VI in the new set, but generally I think the mastering approach they've used on the Capitol Albums would work out well with the UK versions. I hope it shows EMI and Apple that you don't really need to use NR at all. If they use it at all, hopefully they won't use it to the extent they did on 1. That disc sounds awful in places, especially on "Ticket To Ride" and "Penny Lane."

16. ArchieBunker72

I would like to see these released:

PPM - stereo/mono
    WTB - stereo/mono
    AHDN - stereo/mono
    BFS - stereo/mono
    HELP - stereo/mono
    RS - stereo/mono
    REVOLVER - stereo/mono (with original mono Tomorrow Never Knows)
    COLLECTION OF OLDIES - stereo/mono (would have stereo From Me To You)
    Sgt. Pepper - stereo/mono
    White Album - stereo/mono (4cd's)
    YS - stereo/mono (with original mono versions)
    AR - stereo
    LIB - stereo (with original book included)

17. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Does anyone know if this is certain? Also, when I originally bought Yellow Sub, it was on VHS & came in a yellow box. I later bought the DVD, but it was in a standard black box. Did the DVD ever come in a yellow case?

Dexter

18. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Yes, I have the DVD in a yellow case

19. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Damn! I will need to find one! Taking this out of print baffles me...they're not Disney!

Dexter

20. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley Active Member

A few months ago on another similar thread Steve said something like "What are they going to use for surround? Echo perhaps". :shake:

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

As big a surround fan I am, I'd only want from maybe Rubber Soul on. The early stuff is just to sparse.

22. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Oddly, according to my preferred online shop, it hasn't actually been deleted (they're very precise about that sort of thing) but it's only unavailable. Obviously, the distinction means something to someone in Apple. :D

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Hasn't any one actually LISTENED to the 5.1 mixes on the Anthology DVDs? They DO the earlier stuff & it sounds PHENOMENAL in 5.1, even the WTB tracks, but especially Rubber Soul. Nowhere Man in surround is a religious experience.

24. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Veech
    No way, too much product in too quick a time span. Apple has a market roadmap that stretches out at least a few more years. This plan pretty much blows the whole wad in the next 12 months.
    I remember being disappointed with the large time gaps between the Anthology releases. It made no sense, either. While Vol.2 came relatively soon after the first (even with Macca's paranoia pushing it back by at least a couple of weeks), the third one took forever in comparison. Maybe they were closer to releasing a final "new" Threetles track then they let on?

25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

oooo... most of the earlier stuff sounds great in 5.1. The only albums that wouldn't work in 5.1 are PPM and WTB, the rest could attain at least a 3-point mix. "Things We Said Today" is absolutely gorgeous in 5.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.