DVD-Video-Players with 24/96 SPDIF-Out?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by YorkeS9, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking for DVD-Video-Players with SPDIF-OUT that deliver real 24/96 ( and no downsampling to 24/48). Does anybody know a reliable source for a list of all capable DVD-Video-Players. Thanks.

2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Pioneer, they give the option of downsampling or output the data as is, look no further.

3. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I don't think any do what you are asking. But there are some that do coax out and I think Pioneers will keep it 24/96. SPDIF is the term for the Sony/Philips Digital Interface and it is specific to the 16/44.1 CD standard.

Am I wrong?

4. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Pioneer it is. :)

5. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I have an old Sony DVD player that has the option of choosing 48 or 96kHz PCM output. Obviously, this data stream is sent out the SPDIF connection. SPDIF is, as the initials mention: Sony Philips Digital Interconnect Format, so it is not limited to CD, but it is limited as far as bandwidth goes. Hence the limitations in its use for HiRez.

Most DVD players nowadays should be able to deliver a 96/24 SPDIF option. In any case, check it out before buying just in case there is still a model out there that doesn't.

6. zenny

zenny New Member

Panasonic s47. Benchmark actually recommends this unit as a transport

OT, it's actually S/PDIF Sony/Philips Digital Interface.

7. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Pioneer Players are very popular here in the forum. So I looked at the manuals. All Players have a special setting for Linear PCM Out: Down Sample off or Down Sample on. So far so good. But it also says, that some (many?) DVDs will not allow 96kHz digital output. And DVD-Audio is another problem too. So what happens in the real world when I choose "down sample off". Do I get 96kHz digital out from commercial Video-DVDs and Audio-DVDs that have 24/96 music on the disc? Or are 90% of all discs "protected".

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Supposedly that player will even output 24/192 on the S/PDIF coaxial output if you have a DVD-A that is not encrypted (does happen apparently).

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That player will even output 24/192 on the S/PDIF coaxial output if you have a DVD-A with 24/192 stereo that is not encrypted (does happen apparently).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.