Statement from Capitol Records on THE BEATLES "The Capitol Albums Vol. 2" set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wollensack, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac Thread Starter

Continued from here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=1703222#post1703222

Today Capitol Records issued the following statement regarding the manufacturing of "The Beatles: The Capitol Albums Vol. 2," specifically in reference to the stereo to mono mixdowns for two of the albums, "Beatles VI" and "Rubber Soul":

Some of the mono tracks from the initial manufacturing run of "The Beatles: The Capitol Albums Vol. 2" were not the original mono masters that were intended to be included on this historic re-release. The third party mastering facility incorrectly sent step down masters instead of the mono masters ordered by the label to the manufacturing plant. As soon as Capitol Records became aware of this, the correct masters were sent and the adjustment was made in another manufacturing run. Although there is no discernible difference in the sound quality in the initial run, Capitol made the adjustment for historical accuracy. Information for any consumers who wish to obtain a replacement copy (with proof of purchase) will be issued shortly.

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thanks, Wollensack.

mud-:D

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for saving me from reading the other lengthy thread!

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

5. Maybe Capitol was listening to us. They're doing the right thing. Good news.

Thank you Wollensack for following up on this.

PS I wonder if the "bad disks" will have to be returned to get the new ones, or just provide the proof of purchase?

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This is good news. The one question I have then, are all the initial sets that are making it to retail level on April 11 in the U.S. going to have the incorrect mono mixes? If not how will anyone be able to tell other than opening the set and listening, or waiting a considerable amount of time to ensure they get the correct pressing (assuming the initial pressing sells out)?

7. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

I am shocked and stunned! They actually got it right this time!

8. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

This still makes me wonder about the first two discs. :sigh:

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This post sums up the absurdity of the entire Beatles Capitol Album project - people here have their heads explode because new fold-downs are used instead of "authentic" fold-downs? What's the difference? What's the point? Why would anyone want to listen to a fold-down to begin with, when the original Parlophone masters are sitting on a shelf deteriorating every year?

As someone posted above:

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Thanks for the info Wollensack :thumbsup:.

However, I am a bit concerned that Capitol are unaware of the full extent of the error - ie that it affects all 4 discs.

Also, it's not clear whether customers outside the US will get replacements......

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

John, relax. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

12. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I'll hold off for a bit and, get them later. Until then, I can watch the carnage here...

Bob :wave:

13. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

Thank you so much for all the information you've provided, Wollensack! :righton:

14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The point of the "Capitol Albums" re-issues is not to present the best available Beatles masters! The point is to present the original US masters used by Capitol in the 60s.

Yes, a modern fold-down could sound very similar to a 1965 fold-down but it will not sound exactly the same by any means.

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Me too... :shh:

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Wollensack.

I find this part particularly interesting :

That sounds like a nice way to try and smooth things over a bit, to trivialize the difference between the real mono mixes and collapsing the new mastering of the stereo mixes. Maybe they even said that in the hopes some people with sets containing the "bad" discs won't bother with getting a replacement. Of course, many people buying this set know better.

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Why? They're not going to sound the same on CD anyway. If one were really serious about making these albums "just like" the original Capitol LPs, this would be a vinyl box set.

The Beave likes this.
  18. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley Active Member

I never heard the monos, but I will be getting the set and want the correct versions. If they are not correct, maybe we can make the people in charge of this project dance on hot coals to the rap group 2 LIVE CREW doing rap versions of songs by artists like, Micheal Bolton, Wham!, Culture Club and Nirvana!! :sigh:

19. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Thanks Wollensack!

Yes, the million dollar question Mike! Wollensack's statement, from Capitol Records, mentions obtaining a replacement copy, so at least *SOME* of the box sets will contain the wrong mixes.

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:righton:

Not one, but several threads before we put it to bed and its safe to buy. :D

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I can't wait to watch the mass delusion as Beatles collectors scramble to obtain copies of the "rare" 2006 fold-downs. It's the Butcher Cover all over again . . .

22. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Which is why I haven't nor plan to buy either set. :agree:

23. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I'm gonna give you and Hunter some cheese to go with that whine. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Well, this is subject that deserves a thread all it's own!

An LP and a CD mastered from the same tape should sound very similar. Of course, if the vinyl is cut using tube amplification that may "enhance" the sound somewhat but essentially the vinyl should represent the masters used as should the CD. It is the masters we are trying to hear in all this - not the surface noise......

:)

25. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:biglaugh: I :love: red whine. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.