Decware Zbox

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tubeman, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I saw this and was wondering if anybody had every tried one? Maybe between the CD player and preamp.

Model ZBOX / Stand-Alone Tube Output Stage for any source.

Add a low impedance single ended tubed output stage to your existing CD player or DAC! Make it sound better... lots better! In fact you can use this with any line level source! Comes complete with 12AX7 tube, variable output control, high quality Gold/Teflon RCA jacks and a removable power cord.

The tube located in the front never gets hot and can be easily replaced. High quality ceramic socket with gold pins combined with point-to-point construction using no circuit boards justifies our lifetime warranty!

Magic Black Boxes still exist! This goes such a long way to fixing the broken sound of the output stage in cheap CD players and budget DACs that when I use it with one I loose my motivation to go out and actually buy a good one! When I put the ZBox on a good one things are already happening to the point where I have even less motivation to spend high dollars on a reference source!

I've found a way for you to cheat that really does work!
    -Steve Deckert

MAKE YOUR
    DAC, CD PLAYER, DVD PLAYER, TUNER, VCR, COMPUTER, IPOD, TAPE DECK, MIXING CONSOLE, PREAMP, DVD RECORDER, PHONO STAGE or ANY LINE LEVEL SIGNAL
    SOUND BETTER!

INTRODUCTION

It fixes the otherwise "broken" sound of most stock output stages by removing the "stress" they add to the music! This tube buffer stage creates a better impedance match between the source and preamp or amplifier. By doing so it restores the tone, body and weight to the music. You hear any dryness that was there gone including the grain and edginess that keeps you from enjoying certain recordings. It opens things up and relaxes the music while at the same time adds control and enhances dynamics. The midrange is most noticeably improved along with imaging and over all depth. The Zbox restores an amazing liquidity that is rare to hear even in rather expensive DACs.

It comes highly recommended for all stock CD players, modified CD players and DACS. Already have a player or DAC with a tube output stage? The ZBox can still be used to kick the fidelity up a notch! You can find out more about how it does that in the Design Notes.

DESCRIPTION

Stand Alone stereo tube output stage with adjustable output level. Becomes a cathode follower when added to any line level source. Low impedance output will drive any amplifier or preamp even when long cable lengths are used. Uses a dual triode (12AX7) wired single ended with no negative feedback.

FEATURES

ALPS variable output level control

Removable power cord

Low output impedance will drive even the most stubborn amps and preamps while maintaining the correct frequency balance.

Powder coated steel chassis is sealed with no vents to let in dust, smoke, or other contaminants including stray RF. Stays new looking inside even after 20 years!

In the Zen tradition, top grade internal parts are all hand point-to-point wired with parts leads and no hookup wire in the signal path and of course NO CIRCUIT BOARDS.

Tube compliment is made up of your choice of 12AU7,12AT7,12AX7. Circuit is self-biasing and maintenance free and creates no heat - even the tube stays cool enough to touch.

Ceramic tube socket with gold pins ensure top performance with the tube mounted through the front making it look like another volume knob. The tube is easy to remove making tube rolling fun rather then tedious.

The ZBOX can be used connected directly to any line level source. No preamp is needed. ZBOX can also be used as a simple preamp with near unity gain.

HAND MADE IN THE USA

SPECIFICATIONS

Size
    6"W x 11"D x 2.5" H

Weight
    7 lbs

Chassis
    Steel with black powder coat finish

Consumption
    17 watts

Input jacks
    Gold/Teflon RCA

Output jack
    Gold/Teflon RCA

Factory Stock Tube
    12AX7

Input impedance
    100,000 ohms

Output impedance
    < 1000 ohms (aprox 300 ohms)

Frequency Response +/- 0.5dB
    20Hz ~ 20kHz

Frequency Response +/- 1 dB
    5Hz ~ 70kHz

Operating Voltage USA model
    100~125 VAC 50/60 cycles

Warranty
    Lifetime to original owner

MODEL ZBOX
    complete with premium selected tube
    suggested list price
    $649 INTRODUCTORY FACTORY DIRECT PRICE $399.00

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

2. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

I don't have the Decware unit, but I have something similar called the "Audio Signal Enhancer." RCA inputs and outputs, with a 12AX7 tube inside...very favorable review in "Positive Feedback" a few years ago. The Decware looks to be a bit higher in quality, though the ASE sold for only $200...

I like the sound of it, although I no longer keep it on the output of the CD player all the time...it works best to tame the harsh discs. I also like it on the output of the phono preamp...

3. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply, I think I'll try it.

4. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Speaking of Decware: I was always fascinated by that beautiful corner horn they have on their web site. Did anybody hear this actually? I think it looks fantastic and seems to be a very "un-obstructive" piece of furniture, compared to that HUGE Klipschorn...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.