My review of the Dick's Picks series - Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

Warning - this is long! I thought I'd post my ratings of the 36 (so far) Grateful Dead Dick's Picks releases. I used a 5 star rating system, 5 being the best. I typed very brief descriptions of each volume, listing the what I thought were the main highlights. Some shows have more highlights than others. Refer to gdstore.com for complete song listings.

Enjoy and discuss!

DP 1 – 12/19/73 – 4.5 stars. Here Comes Sunshine, Playin In the Band, Truckin>Nobody’s Fault. Great kick-off to this series.

DP 2 – 10/31/71 – 4 stars – Dark Star>Sugar Mag>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA. KILLER Not Fade Away reprise. Whew!

DP 3 – 5/22/77 – 4.5 stars – Lovely jam on disc 2 – Estimated>Eyes>Wharf Rat>Terrapin>Morning Dew.

DP 4 – 2/13-2/14/70 - 4.5 stars – Primal Dead jam from 2/14/70 Me and My Uncle>NFA>Mason’s Children>Caution>Feedback. Dark Star>TIFTOO 2/13/70

DP 5 – 12/26/79 - 4.5 stars – 1st complete show release on Dick’s Picks. 2nd set opening sequence is one of my all-time favorites: UJB>Estimated>Jam>He’s Gone>The Other One. Loses steam somewhat after the that. Shakedown Street>UJB encore.

DP 6 – 10/14/83 – 4 stars – 1st set is not very good at all, to put it mildly. 2nd set makes up for it though - great from start to finish. 30 minute Scarlet>Fire. Post drums Spanish Jam>Other One>Stella Blue. Estimated>Eyes too!

DP 7 – 9/9-9/11/74 – 3.5 stars. Killer WRS on disc 2, one of my favorites. Nice Dark Star>Morning Dew. Very spacey Playin’ on disc 1. Nice to have, but there's much better from 1974.

DP 8 – 5/2/70 – 5 stars – one of the all-time greats. Dancin’ in the Streets, Viola Lee Blues, Morning Dew, The Other One, Good Lovin’, acoustic set to start the show

DP 9 – 9/16/90 – 3 stars – Rather (understandably) mournful post-Brent show from MSG: Great He's Gone, Standing On the Moon, Morning Dew

DP 10 – 12/29/77 – 3 stars – the return of China Cat>Rider. Spacey Playin’ jam. Good bonus material from 12/30.

DP 11 – 9/27/72 – 4.5 stars – great show in a year of all-time favorites. Dark Star>Cumberland! Bird Song! Attics!

DP 12 – 6/26-6/28/74 – 5 stars. One of my all-time favorites - Mind Left Body jam out of Let It Grow. Spacey China Cat intro from 6/26.

DP 13 -5/6/81 – 4 stars - Get this for the jam out of He’s Gone. Great hidden bonus material too (I won’t spoil it)

DP 14 – 11/30 and 12/2/73 – 4.5 stars – Dick’s last Pick before he moved on the great Tape Vault in the sky. Cool WRS>Dark Star Jam>Eyes from 11/30. Lovely Mind Left Body rises out of the ashes of a total Playin’ meltdown. Nothing else like this at all

DP 15 – 9/3/77 – 5 stars – Well played from start to finish. Killer Half-step and Music Never Stopped from set 1. Great Estimated>Eyes and a bone crushing NFA in set 2. The return of “Truckin”. Pretty Peggy-O too!

DP 16 – 11/8/69 – 2.5 stars – Popular show that doesn’t do much for me. 2nd set kind of bores me though things pick up around Caution. Best part for me is the Lovelight from 11/7/69. 1st set features a bunch of songs that could have used more rehearsal. I’m probably in the minority on this one but oh well… get it anyway!

DP 17 – 9/26/91 – 4 stars – Good Help>Slip>Frank opener. Great 2nd set opening sequence of Victim>Crazy Fingers>Playin>Terrapin>Jam. Even better is the bonus material - one of the best ever Eyes of the World performances, from 3/31/91.

DP 18 – 2/3 & 2/5/78 – 4.5 stars – one of my all-time favorite Scarlet>Fire performances, especially the transition jam. Killer Other One. Long and spacey Playin’>Wheel>Playin’.

DP 19 – 10/19/73 – 3 stars – Haven’t really taken to this show yet, though I’m going to give it another try in light of the recent Winterland 73 release. Main highlight here is Dark Star>Morning Dew, with a Mind Left Body jam in between.

DP 20 – 9/25 & 9/28/76 – 3.5 stars – Great Sugaree and Scarlet. Speedy Eyes out of Drums.

DP 21 – 11/1/85 – 2 stars – one of the few Picks that I can do without. Not much here that really moves me, even the bonus material from 1980 is underwhelming. YMMV.

DP 22 – 2/23 & 2/24/68 – 4 stars - Every show from early 1968 is a precious diamond in the rough that must be heard. Alligator>Caution, Viola Lee, The Other One>Caboose, early Dark Star>China Cat>Eleven… it’s all here. I wish there were more releases from this year.

DP 23 - 9/18/72 – 3 stars – the 2nd of three 9/72 shows in the DP series. 38 minute Other One is the centerpiece of the show though it’s a little too spacey for me. First set material is well-played, as usual. Great Bird Song and Playin’.

DP 24 – 3/23/74 – 3.5 stars – Main highlight is the Playin>UJB>Dew>UJB>Playin’ from set 2. Debut of Scarlet Begonias.

DP 25 -5/10 & 5/11/78 – 3 stars – Good setlists, but nothing really special jumps out at me. Pales in comparison to DP 18. I need to give this another chance.

DP 26 – 4/26-27/69 – 3 stars – Doesn’t quite scale the heights from the Fillmore West run two months earlier, but still two good shows from early 1969. 4/26 is also the show that gave us that 19 minute Viola Lee Blues on Fallout From the Phil Zone

DP 27 – 12/16/92 – 2 stars – One of the first shows after Jerry’s second health-related layoff. I can think of dozens of shows in the later years that would make a nice Dick’s Pick. This ain’t one of them, sorry.

DP 28 – 2/26 & 2/28/73 – 4 stars – Fantastic Dark Star>Eyes of the World from 2/26. Cool Truckin’>Other One>Eyes>Dew from 2/28.

DP 29 – 5/19 & 5/21/77 – 4.5 stars – 2nd set from 5/19 is one of the all-time greats. 5/21 features one of the best Scarlet>Fires of the year. Extra 1/2 star for the bonus material (unlisted).

DP 30 – 3/25-3/28/72 – 2 stars – Not much exciting here – these shows were sort of a warm up for the Europe tour. Europe 72 shows were MUCH better IMHO.

DP 31 – 8/4 and 8/6/74 – 5 stars – 8/6 is one of those shows where the 1st set beats the 2nd. Eyes of the World from 8/6 is the reason I give this 5 stars. It is probably my favorite ever. They then turn in a killer Playin>Scarlet>Playin’ to close that same set. Whew! The 8/4 material isn’t as intense but it's nice to have.

DP 32 – 8/7/82 – 3 stars –Good Music Never Stopped>Sugaree>Music to open the show. Good 2nd set. One of the better shows from 1982.

DP 33 – 10/9-10/76 – 5 stars – 10/9 is one of my all-time favorite shows, and has been since I first heard it broadcast on the Grateful Dead hour back in 1995 or so. 1st set has one of my favorite Scarlets and Sugarees ever. Set 2 features a long, relaxed Help>Slip>Frank, with drums and Samson thrown in the middle. 10/10 features a cool Playin’ and a wild Other One in the second set. The Dead shared the bill with The Who for these shows. What a weekend for music this must have been (if you were there)

DP 34 – 11/5/77 – 3.5 stars – Great Half-step in first set. Great Eyes to start set 2. Even better is the bonus material from 11/2 – ferocious Truckin’!

DP 35 – 8/6, 8/7 and 8/27/71 – 3.5 stars – the tapes for this show were just found last year among the Godchaux family’s possessions. Untouched for 35 years. Typical pre-Keith 1971 - not much here really stands out except for the material from 8/6/71, which is one the most heavily circulated audience recordings out there, for good reason.

DP 36 - 9/21/72 – 5 stars - This is THE ONE for me. From start to finish, the greatest show I’ve ever heard. I’d been hoping for this to be released ever since I heard the jam out of Dark Star back in 1995. Took them long enough but I’m glad it’s finally out. The centerpiece of the show is indeed the Dark Star>Morning Dew – it must be heard to be believed. So many other highlights – Bird Song and Playin’ in set 1, Truckin’ in set 2. The bonus material is also fantastic – He’s Gone>Other One from 9/3/72.

2. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

For out stand-out moment on on DP 25, check out the 'giddy' Dancin' ....
    the band is all tripped out and starts grunting, growling and laughing through the song.

Dominick and ianuaditis like this.
  3. jblock

jblock Senior Member

The only ratings I disagree with are DP11, which I give a 5, on the basis of Bird Song alone, and DP30, which I give a 4.5. There's some great music on DP30, particularly the versions of Playing in the Band, which are very intense.

Jonathan

Dovetail7 likes this.
  4. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Wow this is great thanks!!!

I have Vol.4....which is held in such high regard but I found it a bore. I have tried listening to it over the past 5-6 years but it just doesnt work for me. The Lovelight on there is painful (for me). Nice piece of history but thats it.

Only other Dead I have is One From the Vault Vol.1 (from 1975) and Hundred Year Hall.....and they get zero playing time in my house. With these 3 albums I gave up on the Dead.

:shake:

BUT, DP 36 looks like its worth looking into thanks to your review! Can you tell me more?

:righton:

5. jblock

jblock Senior Member

The September 1972 East Coast tour is one of my favorites, every DP from that month is worth it. Personally, out of the three my favorite is DP11. Superlative Bird Song, Playing in the Band, Black-Throated Wind and a neat Cumberland Blues out of Dark Star. And any show with both Brokedown Palace and Attics of My Life in the same show can't be missed. DP36 is close behind, with DP23 coming in third.

Jonathan

DocShipe and notesofachord like this.
  6. stever

stever Senior Member

I forgot about 36 -- is the Dead website still the best place to buy this?

7. jblock

jblock Senior Member

The only place.

Jonathan

8. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

wow...I guess I got lucky...

the only DP's I have bought are Vol. 15 and Vol. 31.....and you gave both of 'em 5 stars!

I have a great tape of Vol 36, which will eventually get replaced with the CDs. Whatta killer show indeed!

---Matt

9. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I have about 20 or so Dick Picks and volume 11 is actually one of my least favorites. First, Jerry is low in the mix for a portion of it and second, I don't remember the band being that "together".

10. Dumb questions:
    1) how's sound quality of these?
    2) what is the best recorded (sound quality-wise) set of good live Dead material...the only live Dead I own is Steal Your Face

11. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

DP's are all taken from two tracks so the quality is not quite as good as a multi-track recording. All the ones that I have heard still sound excellent though. Sometimes at the beginning the mix might be a little off on some of the earlier recordings but it is usually fixed pretty quickly. I actually prefer these "raw" sounding recordings over some multi-tracks. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Your second question is debatable but I like the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack and One From the Vault.

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Where is the best version of Terrapin Station located? Preferably from the '70's and with lotsa Prog flourishes!

13. MikeP5877

If you're looking for Prog flourishes, you probably want something from the 90's, when they incorporated MIDI technology in to their instruments. The version from the limited Terrapin Station 3 CD set (3/15/90) quickly comes to mind, as does the version found on the So Many Roads box. Truth be told, I prefer the studio version over any live versions I've heard.

As for the DP Series, Terrapin Station can be found on the following:

DP 3 (just the "Inspiration" section only, into "Morning Dew, fabulous!)
    DP 10
    DP 15
    DP 17
    DP 29

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  14. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I prefer the version on DP15, but all the live versions are truncated, and last between 8-10 minutes.

Jonathan

15. MikeP5877

That's right - the Dead only performed the extended version one time, on 3/18/77 (sans choir and strings, obviously).

16. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Thanks for the reviews, Mike. I have #1, #29, Steppin' Out, and the Closing of Winterland. I've also been downloading 3 or 4 SBDs a day. I'll definitely refer to this as a guide when buying more DPs in the future!

If you could recommend one show from the 80s, rather it be a DP or a SBD that is floating around out there, what would it be? I've stuck to strictly listening to 70s material, and I'm not sure why.

17. MikeP5877

I like set 2 of DP 6, from 10/14/83, though the first set is awful.

Others off the top of my head:

8/23/87
    10/16/89 (Nightfall of Diamonds CD)
    10/9/89
    6/14-16/85
    7/13/84
    5/12/80
    12/31/87 (Ticket to New Years video)
    11/2/84
    5/6/81 (DP 13)
    10/16/81

18. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I was just going to rec 7.13.84 too...
    I love the FOB Audience that circulates!

Grateful Dead
    Greek Theatre - University of California
    Berkeley, CA
    Date 7/13/84
    Set One:
    Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told ; Dire Wolf ; C C Rider ; Loser ; Cassidy ; Dupree's Diamond Blues ; Hell In A Bucket > Might As Well
    Set Two:
    Scarlet Begonias > Touch Of Grey > Fire On The Mountain > Man Smart (Woman Smarter) > Drums > Space > The Wheel > I Need A Miracle > Stella Blue > Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Dark Star

DocShipe likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Where can I buy this one?

20. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

How about 9/18/87 when Jerry busts out La Bamba out of good lovin'? I'm going on memory here, but it's a MSG show. I do believe there is a killer morning dew from this show also. Dead Set and Reckoning (studio albums) are both from 1980 if I'm not mistaken. I like '89 shows. The Warlock shows from '89 need to be heard. Let me get back to you on (1) show from the eighties that I would reccomend. I need to make sure I get my dates correct.

bzfgt likes this.
  21. GregY

GregY New Member

You can't and you shouldn't.

However, it does circulate in trading circles.

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Oh. I was hoping it was a Dick's Pick or something similar.

23. MikeP5877

In addition to the extended "Terrapin", 3/18/77 also marks the debut of "Fire On The Mountain", which was joined up to "Scarlet Begonias", rarely to be ever separated again.

I never heard the 2nd set from this show (with "Terrapin") I have the first set on cassette but it sounds horrible - tape hiss is definitely NOT our friend when it comes to Dead shows on cassette :D

24. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

As others have pointed out, the sound on these varies, but it's usually very good to excellent. Some of them sound just wonderful, if a little raw--but that's part of the charm. I have a bunch, and the only two that disappoint me just a bit, sound-wise are 10, which is a great, especially hard-rocking show show, but the recording is a bit below standard, and 8, although only on the electric set. The acoustic set sounds great (this volume is, in any case, not to be missed).

I'd say that all of the "vault series" releases of multitrack concert recordings sound different shades of great. The four disk set of England '72 shows sounds superb to me. I was pretty blown away by the quality of the mastering and remix of the recent Fillmore '69 set (I wish they had given "Live Dead" the same facelift). "One from the Vault" and "Two from the Vault," both also sound great, so does "Dozin' at the Knick."

L.

25. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

So the weathers getting warmer and my love of certain music really flowers. Especially Bob Marley!

The Dead have always sounded like eternal summer to me...and around this time I always want some more Dead, but I am afraid based on my other purchases!

So Im listening to DP 4, disc 3 and really digging the jam right after Masons Children. This is the Dead I dig!

Will DP 36 satisfy my heavy rocking dead?

Hows the SQ?

Holy Crap! I just saw that this is from Philly!!! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.