ZZ Top vinyl questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by metalbob, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

Curious to find out what some of the better pressings are of ZZ Top vinyl. The first 6 of course. For example, I have Tres Hombres with the blue London label and a copy of Fandango I have has a pic on it with the London logo, but not the classic London label. Not sure which are original pressings and how to tell.

2. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

My London pressing of Tres Hombres is very peculiar. There's a mastering defect on side one that sounds exactly like what Todd Rundgren describes as "records that were mastered lousy" (on Something/Anything)--hissy, low volume, phasey. Side two is fine. I wonder if an entire pressing got out this way.

3. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The original London LPs sound good but noisy. The original pressing of Fandango is the London picture label.

Joe

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

London Lp vinyl was once considered almost of audiophile quality given that, going into the mid-60s, they were still pressing them in England; as time went on, they became progressively more unreliable in terms of sound quality, especiallly by the '70s; record club pressings seemed to me cleaner overall. The WB CD reissues, though, came off pretty good, I thought; better to go there for some of the regular releases.

ED:cool:

5. robertk

robertk Forum Resident

German pressings from Amiga are pretty good compared to other pressings. A little better is all.

I'd still go with their 12" singles, UK imports as the best sounding. And the interesting thing is they'd throw a song like LaGrange on the B side. I like that long version of Velcro Fly as weel & is a good one to dig out from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.