CEA Study on the Demand for Sound Quality...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Can you say uphill battle? ;)

CEA Studies Consumer Demand For Sound Quality

By Amy Gilroy -- TWICE, 2/23/2006 7:10:00 AM

New York — With the sales volume in portable audio now overshadowing sales in home audio separates and systems, the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) sought to determine the new role of sound quality in the consumer’s audio purchase process.

According to CEA, portable audio sales are now hitting $10 billion annually, almost twice that of audio separates and systems, said Sean Wargo, CEA industry analysis director.

CEA surveyed 3,798 adults between Oct. 14 and Nov. 9 to attempt to gain a better understanding of how consumers view sound quality and the importance of sound quality in their purchases.

The study found that while 91 percent of consumers rated sound quality as important, only 30 percent of those who had bought an audio product, received a demonstration.

The study also found that of past electronics buyers, many did not understand typical audio specifications. Only 25 percent said that “sound pressure level” was a familiar term. Only 36 percent were familiar with the term “frequency response,” and 38 percent were familiar with “signal to noise ratio.” The greatest number of consumers ranked “surround sound listening modes” as the most important specification (73 percent of past buyers) followed by “watts of power” (65 percent).

Most respondents said they purchased their audio product at a general electronics store. Thirty-five percent of past HTiB purchasers said they bought the product from a general electronics store, as did 56 percent of A/V receiver purchasers and 41 percent of speaker purchasers. Fewer than 7 percent went to a local electronics store or a specialty electronics store.

Price was the main reason for the shoppers’ choice of store said 72 percent of past buyers, followed by selection (46 percent) and knowledgeable sales staff (28 percent).

Another finding of the CEA study was that many shoppers had not heard a “great” sounding system as a basis for comparison before shopping. Fifty-six percent of past audio buyers said they had heard a great sound system. Forty-six percent of people who planned to purchase audio equipment said they had heard a great sound system.

2. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

"The greatest number of consumers ranked “surround sound listening modes” as the most important specification..." Comes to show that 'Joe Public' buys whatever he is 'fed' by the media.

And, to me, highlights the lousy marketing communication that has been used to sell HiRez.

3. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I think when they say that 91% of consumers rate sound quality as important, that just means as long as they can hear bass and treble.

4. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Sean, for a moment there I thought you had written, "as long as they can hear bass and tremble". :D

5. Sean Keane

I also think that consumers are enamored with back-lit menus that offer a million useless things. Like, "Hey, how could it not do something as basic as sound great if it does all this other nifty sh**?"

6. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

Yep that's them in a nutshell. :p

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Quality = loud. :(

8. I suppose this is a thread where we can poke fun at "Joe Public" and feel superior?

I'm not shocked by this study, we are a very small percentage of the population. Why should we expect the general public to care about the things that we do? Do I care about the things that stamp collectors do? Or rare quilt collectors? To each their own, if my neighbor wants to listen to the latest compressed remaster on his shelf system that he got at Walmart for $119 than I say more power to him.

9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

...and LOTS of bass and treble...midrange is evil. :help:

10. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

But remember, 91% rated sound quality as important. What does that tell you? I think it means they are absolutely clueless, rather than that they don't care.

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

You beat me to it. :thumbsup:

The disparaging "Joe Public" and "Joe Sixpack" stuff really bugs me too. Let me tell you, I know a lot of fine hard working people who love their families, pay taxes, rescue lost dogs, help friends build fences, etc. who also happen to own crappy H/T equipment at home. Some have great college educations and could debate me into dust, and they own a $150 glorified boom box for music.

So the friggin' what. It's their hard earned money, let them spend it their way. And if they come over and dig my stereo and like my vinyl records and marvel at the mysterious SACDs, then that's great too.

This whole audiophile snob stuff ain't gonna win any converts! :realmad:

dan c

12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Why is this "an uphill battle" ? What exactly is being fought for? If someone buys a crappy system, but is perfectly happy with it, why should that bother me or anyone else? I think most of us here at this forum are in the distinct minority, which I don't mind in the least, but at the same time I don't feel like I need to "convert" anyone.
    If the general public's attitudes about audio have a direct impact on my ability to obtain and listen to music at a certain level of quality, then I will certainly fight that battle, but I just don't see the connection. If anything my choices in artists and quality of sound are greater now than at any time in my life. How can I complain? Live and let listen...

13. Sean Keane

Dan, I'm pretty sure I'm not a guy you'd meet and think was a snob. To my mind, that 91% is made up, in large part, of people with quite a bit of cash, who may just be technology snobs themselves.

14. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, it just goes to prove that fine educated patriotic people that love their families and dogs aren't perfect. :D

15. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I think that is the frustrating part. The distinct possibility that these people are the ones determining how the mainstream music companies want their engineers to make the product sound. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't miss for a second having to track down expensive SACD or out of print DCC gold discs. I still do it anyway, but only out of necessity...

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, that's really it. The greater public will determine, by their indifference or ignorance, what will be available to you and me. I'm sure that happens with a lot of products, but since music and audio reproduction quality are dear to your heart, this instance is particularly upsetting.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Especially when you consider this:

:(

18. I have a coworker named Kent who gets a kick out of me bringing in different pieces of stereo equipment for a "new sound" or an "incremental upgrade". He noticed immediately that the feet changed the sound of my Vienna speakers, for example - I ran them for a short time without the spike feet, held up by plastic shims. Nevertheless, he has a 5.1 system at home with the little Polk speakers (I do not know if they are 1 or 2 cone sats) and a powered sub, and to him they sound just great. He says it's the best audio rig he's ever had, and he may be right in that regard.

19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The survey industry is usually mock-science anyway, and renders the conclusions commerce finds most convenient.

But I hate the idea that I can't find many things I like because the conventional wisdom deems them worthless, unmarketable, etc.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Loud and go boom...I like!

21. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I agree wholeheartedly. One reason more people aren't "like us" is that many of us are fanatics and are condescending to those who aren't or "don't get it".

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well, there's also "levels" of snobiness. The esoteric system users look down on us "mid fi" :sigh: owners of stuff like Onkyo and Pioneer.

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I think audiophiles have a responsibility to educate neighbors and friends in a friendly way about what is possible on any type of budget. Even low budgets can put together a great stereo if they buy good value pieces. And it works for video also.

I was reading in The Perfect Vision last night about a $40 DVD player from Rat Shack that surprised the writer with its good performance.

24. But if they are happy with what they have, what's the use? Would you like your neighbor to try and educate you about something you don't care about? I wouldn't.

25. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I've found this to be an exercise in futility, for the most part. But maybe I'm just not a terribly influential person... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.