Ray Charles - was "Some Day Baby" recorded for Atlantic?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

In 1961 Atlantic released an album of blues recordings by Ray Charles. The LP was called "The Genius Sings The Blues":

[​IMG]

I was familiar with all the tracks except "Some Day Baby" which I had never heard before getting this re-issue.

My question is - where does this fantastic track originate from? It isn't on "The Birth Of Soul" which supposedly collects all the R&B recordings Ray made at Atlantic. It isn't even on the recent box set "Pure Genius: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1952-1959)"!

It sounds very clean - not like the heavily compressed Tom Dowd Atlantic sound at all. Is this track actually from his time at ABC/Paramount - seeing as the LP came out in 1961, after Ray had already moved to ABC/Paramount from Atlantic, is it possible the track was given to Atlantic as part of some kind of deal?!

Please, put me out of misery - where does this amazing track come from?!

:)

2. Mal

bump :)

3. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

The Rhino comp Blues + Jazz lists the song as "Worried Life Blues" and gives the session as a rehearsal date (5/17/53). That would put it in the Atlantic era. Hope this helps!

4. Mal

I had ruled out this track as being from his pre-Atlantic days based on sound quality alone. The recording is superb - just Ray and a piano in all its glory. I think the pre-Atlantic recordings only exist on disc (and dubs off those discs) - were they even recorded onto tape in the first place?

Still, I found a sample of the track you refer to on Amazon (see here) just to check and sure enough it is a completely different song/recording.

Strangely, the lyrics you quoted are from the track I'm talking about!!

Actually, while writing this post I have discovered the answer to my question! From what I gathered using google, "Some Day Baby" was Ray Charles' version of a Big Maceo track called "Worried Life Blues". I just looked through the tracklist for "Pure Genius: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1952-1959)" again and lo and behold a track called "Worried Life Blues" is on disc 7!!

Looks like I will have to shell out for that box set anyway - you can't have too much Atlantic era Ray Charles :cool:.

5. Mal

Looks like we both figured this one out at the same time :thumbsup:

Thanks for the session date - it's a really great sound for such an early Atlantic session. I wonder if Tom Dowd wasn't the engineer for this one?......

Not that I don't like the Tom Dowd sound! I love it - but it is great to hear early 50's Ray like he is in the room with you for a change.

:)

6. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Hey Mal,
    Sorry, I edited my post into oblivion. I had a brain flatulence and was thinking of the Swing Time cut "Someday", but when I got the disc down I remembered that the cut I was thinking of was "Worried Life Blues", so I edited my post to reflect that. Looks like you saw both versions of my post. Confusing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.