New/Old insight into ABKCO Stones RE-Issue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Sep 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Please don't flame me if this is common knowledge, but I just dug out an old XEROX copy of a magazine article that I kept concerning the original batch of Rolling Stone's CDs. I am not sure of the magazine - Stereo Review? High Fidelity? CD Review?

Anyway, the article is "Rolling Stones on CD: You Can Get What You Want" by Scott Isler. Referring to the difference in the ABKCO (1986) CDs and the British Decca Record Company CDs (with an ABKCO trademark), Allen Klein states "Those albums are not as good as ours. We're both starting with the same two-track masters. They're missing an in-between step" - that of equalizing the master tape to yield a powerful sound equivalent to the vinyl counterpart.

The article also explains how Andrew Loog Oldham worked with a "German engineer" to "narrow the extreme stereo separation (Mother's Little Helper"), raising the vocal ("19th Nervous Breakdown"), and how they "always mastered the singles bright" with a lot of compression for radio. Oldham is also attributed for the integrating the "awkward stereo separation of Aftermath and Between the Buttons into a more cohesive, forceful sound".

Donald

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've got that as well - I'm pretty sure it is Musician, April 1987.

Just a lot of PR BS, really. I love how they cite the stereo mix of Mother's Little Helper, but yet used the *fake* stereo mix for their CDs.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Donald,

Thank you very much for this post. Talk about an old recipe for bad soup. Someone back then should have had their ears sealed with wax (maybe that was the problem)...

Todd

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I transcribed this a while back. Here it is:

Flaming Torch and grx8 like this.
  5. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Thanks, Luke for sharing the article ... somethings never change. :)

I guess we should be thankful that the pre-CD London Rolling Stones music sounds as good as it does.

Has Oldham done any other "mastering"? ... I have a list of CDs to avoid.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Luke - thanks for the transcription - I didn't have the time for the optical scanning of my old creased copy, and then the subsequent correcting!

Donald

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This article absolutely freaked me out back then, & damned if it STLL doesn't freak me out now! These must be the biggest idiots in the entire recording industry (and there's LOTS of competition).

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Thanks, Luke! That was a fascinating read. Now I am considering hunting down a few of those awful, wide-stereo London discs. :)

9. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

What actually interests me is how spot-on the guy writing the article is at points. Heck, I had never noticed the missing intro on "See What Happens" until I read this.

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.