My Life in the Bush of Ghosts reissue finally on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member Thread Starter

An unofficial Talking Heads website (http://www.talking-heads.net/) is reporting that the reissue of Brian Eno and David Byrne's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts will be released in the US on March 7.

"The long-awaited re-issue of David Byrne and Brian Eno's "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" is scheduled for release in the US on march 7.

The CD contains remastered versions of the original album tracks (sans "Qu'ran", which was only available on the first issues of the album and removed for later pressings because of sampled parts from the Quran) plus previously unreleased bonus tracks:

1. America Is Waiting
    2. Mea Culpa
    3. Regiment
    4. Help Me Somebody
    5. The Jezebel Spirit
    6. Very, Very Hungry
    7. Moonlight in Glory
    8. The Carrier
    9. A Secret Life
    10. Come with Us
    11. Mountain of Needles

Bonus tracks:
    12. Pitch to Voltage
    13. Two Against Three
    14. Vocal Outtakes
    15. New Feet
    16. Defiant
    17. Number 8 Mix
    18. Solo Guitar with Tin Foil

When MLITBOG was originally released, a bootleg LP surfaced with some unreleased tracks (including the original version of "Jezebel Spirit" with Kathrin Kuhlman smaples) and alternative versions with weird titles. It's not sure if these tracks are featured on the new CD or if this is 'new' unreleased material."

It looks like Qu'ran is going to stay in the vaults, so hang on to your original editions. Do the other bonus tracks sound familiar to anyone here? Otherwise, this is pretty exciting news for those of us that have been looking for this.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Sigh. I just bought the old CD of this. This always happens to me! However, my CD does contain both "Qu'ran" and "Very Very Hungry." On the other hand, it's mastered at an extremely low level.

3. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I seem to remember "Very Very Hungry" was only available on a 12" single and not on the original lp... Too bad that "Qu'ran" is not on there, I always liked that one.

I always thought this album was kind of like a "part one" of "Remain In Light."

4. TheLoneliestMonk

TheLoneliestMonk Forum Resident

I'm glad I waited!

5. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

This is coming out on Nonesuch Records

6. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

I'm looking forward to the reissue-glad it's finally coming out!

7. glea

glea Forum Resident

I find it has held up better than the Talking Heads album. It's something that I'm more apt to listen to these days... but then Eno has been been hogging the stereo these days...

I dunno if anyone else has a UK 12" with a live version of Houses In Motion on the flip? This version was mixed by Eno. It's not from the double live set... Just goes to show what a huge mistake it was for the "other three" to elbow Eno out of their camp. This version is so much better than the lp version.

Looking forward to the remaster. I have a cassette of the "original version" which ain't too good sounding, but it shows the extra time they spent on the album made it even more interesting.

8. Uzmati

Uzmati New Member

I'll be happy to pick up a copy but I ain't letting go of my old one if "Qu'ran" isn't on it. That's one of my favorite cuts on the album.

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I thought I had one of the very first CD releases of this album, yet it doesn't have Qu'ran on it. My copy is on the EG label Marketed by Virgin records. EGCD 48. Mastered by Nimbus.

I can't remember where I purchased this, but I have to believe I picked it up right when it was released.

10. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I've got that but I haven't played it in about 100 years. I didn't know that Eno mixed that one, but I remember how much more intense it is compared to the lp version. Gotta pull that one out and listen again...

11. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I think the others thought that Talking Heads had become Brian Eno and David Byrne exclusively. From what I remember, Eno and David pretty much conceived most of Remain in Light by themselves. (TH experts please correct me if I am wrong!)

For an Eno-treated recording, I for one, think Remain in Light is a great album. One of my all time favorites!

latheofheaven likes this.
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

They only removed 'Qu'ran' in the UK. Until now, it's always been available on all US editions of the album. It was yanked in England before the CD came out; as far as I know, there is no UK CD that includes the track. Both the UK and US CDs include the 'Very, Very Hungry' track, which was originally one of the b-sides of the 'Jezebel Spirit' 12" single (the other b-side was an LP track).

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Makes sense. I do have a Sire records vinyl version of this album (in storage - will have to go get it) to remember what I might be missing with the song.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Also; the UK Virgin CD came out before the US Sire one did so; you're right - you do have the first CD incarnation of (most of) the album.

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

How does the 12" of The Jezebel Spirit differ from the album version? I probably heard it in the clubs years ago, I never picked up the vinyl though. This could have been a nice multi-channel release! I haven't listened to this one in a while (except for The Jezebel Spirit on Halloween), but to me the US released CD sounds pretty good. If the bonuses are just noodling out-takes, I may just pass up on this one, especially since it is missing ' Qu'ran' and not hi-rez.

16. Squealy

Would anyone even notice anymore if they put "Qu'ran" on the album? I doubt the Muslim world is thinking much about David Byrne right now.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  17. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Can't wait!

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I guess political correctness is even more important now. The "muslim world" is in the US too.

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It might well be on there as a hidden track (either at the end or before track 1) but, if it's not listed I doubt anyone potentially offended would notice.

It's just a mild remix, not significantly any longer and with a bit more bass. If you weren't paying close attention you might not even notice it wasn't the album version. Once I got 'Very, Very Hungry' on the CD, I didn't think it was worth keeping the 12".

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, that one is brilliant. What a pity. Was there some kind of copyright problem with the sampling on that?

21. live evil

live evil Senior Member

where is "music from the knee plays?"
    i see no reason why ecm has not reissued this one yet.

22. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Why would this be a problem? The Qu'ran is sung in Arabic-speaking countries. There are famous singers that can do the whole book. It's like a marathon music festival when one of them does it live.

23. Squealy

Good point. I just wonder whether anyone is even paying attention anymore. However, all of Byrne's world music adventures may have also made him more sensitive to offending people.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks!

25. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Why was the Qu'ran track omitted? I'm sure it's on my vinyl version but didn't appear on the UK CD I have. Glad it's remastered, the sound on the original CD isn't that great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.