Renaissance: Novella CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Carney, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid) Thread Starter

Was comparing three versions of this one today. Interestingly, the Wounded Bird CD sounds almost identical to the Japanese mini lp in HDCD. Almost as if the tape or CD they were sent was from that very mastering!

Here are three versions:

Sire/Warner Germany CD:

http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1T878Q96X9FMV1D41GIH2O1UCV

Wounded Bird:

http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=26E6X8MM5IAVJ09DUP6V4Q6TS1

Warner Japan HDCD Mini Lp:

http://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0F5RV70UA3ACW1EUT3N9KRKW0D

Any opinions? I think the Sire/Warner is nice, but the high end sounds a bit compressed to me. It's amazing that the Wounded Bird can be had for about 8-10 bucks and the Japanese Mini lp CD on Warner Japan goes for $50 or so as it's long oop. They sound about the same to me!

2. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

The Wounded Bird is a (Stealth-mode) HDCD too....
    probably the exact same mastering this time.

3. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I've got a Sire/Warner Japan pressing of Novella that sounds very nice. Not quite as crisp on the highs, though, similar to your German pressing. But a nice, warm sounding disc compared to the HDCD.

4. Jeff Carney

I kind of like the HDCD on this one. It was done by Isao Kikuchi, but I think he left the bass as is and worked on the treble on this one. The bass is already very loud on the Sire/Warner Germany issue, so maybe his classic EQ setting wasn't used? Interesting... maybe there is more to Kikuchi's style than previously thought?

Anyway, Wounded Bird must have used that same mastering.

5. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I have that mini-lp version of "Novella" too. From all the pressings I've heard it's the best one I know. It even beats the japanese vinyl edition which was my favourite before the HDCD-remaster showed up.
    "A song for all seasons" and "Azure d'or" from this series sound nice to me too but "Novella" is the best.
    How do the Wounded Birds issues of "Turn of the cards", "Carnegie Hall" and "Scheherazade" compare to those not much appreciated Arcangelo ones ?
    Achim
    HAPPY NEW YEAR BY THE WAY :edthumbs:

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I like this album a lot.

I've got the German CD, which sounds pretty good, but the soundstage is flattened and the sound doesn't really have much sparkle. I've also got two versions of the American LP. One's the standard issue, and it's pretty good too. The other is a DJ pressing that's a different mastering, and it sounds fantastic.

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Not sure about Wounded Bird, but the Repertoire "Carnegie Hall" sounds very good to my ears.

8. Jeff Carney

Hi Achim,

Was just listening to the Wounded Bird _Song For All Seasons_ today vs. the Warner-Japan mini lp HDCD. The Wounded Bird walks all over it, IMO. No EQ that I can detect, very natural and really shines at louder volumes. The HDCD is poor mastering, IMO. The bass is goosed *ridiculously* and the treble gets a bit of an increase as well. No midrange, sounds a bit distorted on the title track, for example. Wounded Bird all the way on this one for me. I will compare Azue D' Or next.

Wounded Bird never issued Turn Of The Cards, Carnegie Hall or Scheherazade. But the Repertoire versions of all of these are superb. They really need zero upgrade, IMO.

9. Jeff Carney

:agree:

And there is no Wounded Bird issue of Carnegie Hall. Doesn't need to be and other issue of this one, afaic. The Repertoire is essentially perfect.

10. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame

I really like the Sire/Warner. Sounds more relaxed than the Wounded Bird. The guitar rings out nice and clear.

The Wounded bird and the Japan mini sound similar to me. A little too loud and boosted for my tastes and the guitar sounds veiled and buried in the mix.

Thanks for taking the time to put these clips together Jeff. I've been trying to decide which versions of the Renaissance CD's to buy. :cool:

11. Jeff Carney

Just fyi: The Wounded Bird of _Song For All Seasons_ does not use the HDCD mastering, as discussed above. Not sure how they ended up using that mastering for _Novella_ but it might be an isolated case.

12. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

For the price, I'm willing to give the WB SFAS a shot.

13. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

While we are on the topic of Renaissance CD's, I have a Scheherazade CD on TRC Records. Released 1994 -TRC 043-Made in Germany, with the credit "Special thanks to Juergen Crasser for that brilliant remastering."
    Is this considered a good pressing? I never see it in the shops anymore.

14. Jeff Carney

I've never heard it, but TRC were not a legit label. Their Renaissance CDs were pirates.

15. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

DOH!
    I had no idea....that's why I never see it anywhere.

16. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

...because they're long out of print. I happened to see "Turn of the cards" and "Scheherazade" from the TRC label (remastered by Juergen Crasser) in a record store in 1994 when there were in fact no cd-versions of these albums available. Lucky me ! I had waited so long for finally getting two of my favourite records ever on cd. They sounded fine then but I only had the vinyl albums to compare them to and a less sophisticated stereo-system than today. Now I haven't heard them for ages since I got the mini-lps.
    Achim

17. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Great post, guys!

Jeff (or anyone): Have you heard "AZURE D'OR"? I was considering the Wounded Bird release.

Thanks!

- Greg

18. Jeff Carney

The Wounded Bird is great.

19. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Jeff.

I take it the Wounded Bird release of 'Azure D'Or' does not use the same mastering as the HDCD Mini?

I too noticed right away that the Wounded Bird release of 'Novella' uses the same mastering as the HDCD. Wonder how they got their hands on that one?

Thanks

Scott B

20. Jeff Carney

Scott,

No, the Wounded Bird of Azure D' Or doesn't use that jacked up HDCD mastering. It's great.

21. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Jeff,

Great and thanks for the quick reply.

Scott B

22. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Thanks Jeff. Here are the Renaissance titles, I recently ordered, and the labels.. (none have arrived yet)

Azure D'or Wounded Bird Records
    A Song For All Seasons Wounded Bird Records
    Prologue Repertoire
    Novella Wea/Warner
    Scheherazade & other stories Repertoire
    Ashes are Burning Repertoire
    Turn of the cards Repertoire

Some recent Ebay sales helped this cause immensely! :righton: The King Biscuit set is fun that I have enjoyed the past few years. But; the Tales of 1001 Nights Vol 1 & Vol 2 aren't so good. :shake: Nice to be able to get these on CD! Carnegie Hall, I hope to buy real soon. I remember always really enjoying the LPs. :agree:

- Greg

23. Jeff Carney

Those are all fantastic. Good move!

24. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Thanks! casacaiman on Ebay has been loving me the past week!! Ha! I have ordered 17 CDs from them. :D

25. Jeff Carney

They are damn good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.