The Who To Tour In 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crimsoncing, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member Thread Starter

What can I say!!!!! The heading says it all!!!!!!
    As I have posted before , I would not go see them unless they had new material to play. I have seen they several times since 1969 and if it is just a "Hits" show..well been there did that back before you could even call most of the songs "hits". The prospect of a new songs and even a whole new album makes my mouth water....

Here are the details such as they are......

The Who To Tour In 2006

December 28, 2005, 11:00 AM ET

With speculation rampant that the Who will return to the stage in 2006, the band's driving creative force took to his Web site to address the rumors. Under a Christmas Eve online diary post titled "I will go on tour...," Pete Townshend confirms the band will hit the road come summer in support of new material.

Although no dates are yet confirmed, Townshend's note reveals that the tour will launch following "a very, very cool" surprise announcement in June and that all of the shows may be viewable online.

"I have high hopes for the whole tour to be shared to a wide audience at home in a mixture of pay-per-view and free special Web casts," he writes. "Some of the proceeds will go to charity, of course."

Townshend had originally hoped to release the first Who studio album since 1982's "It's Hard" this year, but in March relayed news that it had fallen behind schedule due to the studio process and other projects. No new album and drummer Zak Starkey's commitment to touring with Oasis scotched thoughts of a tour in 2005.

"I have said many times... that I am reticent about committing to a tour without a completed new Who album under my belt," Townshend says. "As things stand I am still pushing to produce some more songs. So the announcement [of a 2006 tour] may seem premature. It is not."

While a traditional album is not expected, Townshend says new music will emerge, although it is unknown if it will be in a physical or digital format. "No, it is not an 'EP,'" he says. "It is a truly inspired idea."

"Who manager Bill Curbishley has come up with a great scheme," he says. "What his brilliant idea means is that if I don't have a full 30 tracks ready to go, we can settle on what I do have. So I can commit."

With his London office closed for the holiday season, Curbishley was unreachable by deadline for comment about the release of the new music or tour plans.

Townshend denies rumors that his girlfriend and sometime collaborator, Rachel Fuller, will open shows, instead suggesting that his brother Simon Townshend's band, Casbah Club, would be a better fit. "Who fans would love them."

Of his own new music, Townshend says, "I certainly don't give a flying f*** whether anything I write is a hit, or will get played on my beloved rock radio, or sell a million."

"What I care about is that Roger Daltrey feels comfortable with the songs I write so he can sing a few of them on stage -- while I lunge around looking gorgeous and playing show-off guitar like a kid in a music shop," he says. "After 45 years of this crap I've just started to enjoy it."

Can I just add...... :goodie: :thumbsup: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

2. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member Thread Starter

may I add that at peterTownshend.com they are streaming a nice who concert (with JOHN!!!!) Its a bit cut up but they sound in great form!!!!!!!

3. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

4. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve

Me too! In an instant.

5. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

I REALLY hope they bring the show to Australia again. They did three nights in Sydney but only managed one in Melbourne. The tickets were too expensive and that led to an uptight crowd ("SIT DOWN!" during BABA O'RILEY!). Lower ticket prices and come back, guys!! :D

6. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I'm sorry, but without Entwistle, there's no Who anymore. Moon too. I'm not old enough to have ever seen them with Keith Moon, but I have seen The Who many times since 1989. The last time I saw them was the summer that Entwistle died. I bought the tickets before he died, & by the time the date came up to see the show, Entwistle was dead. I remember being really sad & bummed out about that. We went to the show anyway, & to be honest, the replacement bass player did a commendable job, but it just wasn't the same. I swore to myself that I'd never see them again if they carried on without Entwistle, & I'm sticking to that. It's bad enough that they didn't call it quits after Moon died, but without Entwistle as well, I think it's a disgrace to keep using The Who name. Page & Plant had the common decency to not call themselves Led Zeppelin when they recorded & toured together, so why can't Townshend & Daltrey do the same? Because of the almighty dollar, that's why. If they didn't tour as The Who, not nearly as many people would come to the shows. Sadly, there are probably quite a few casual fans who will go to these upcoming shows who don't even know that Entwistle died. IMO, to call themselves The Who is to do themselves & their fans a major disservice, & diminish their credibility as a whole. I'll pass, thank you. Sorry about the threadcrap, but I just had to share my feelings with the group regarding this matter. :D

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I enjoyed them in 2002 in Hershey. Pete seemed re-energized, and even a bit angry about the death of Entwistle (it had been announced the day before that his passing was drug related), which lit a fire under the whole band that night. I don't know if the passing of time has dulled that, but new material might be interesting.

8. KAD

KAD Forum Resident

What can I say? WHO'S NEXT? Zeppelin?

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

one thing for sure, we will get another who compilation (with a couple of new songs) and/or a live album (maybe the couple new songs will be on it, so they don't have to go into the studio)

renny the cynical

10. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I always have to smile when people, even fans, complain about the prospect of "another greatest hits show." With the exception of Tommy in 1969-70, 1989, and Quadrophenia in 1996-1997, ALL of the Who's tours and gigs have been "greatest hits shows." In fact some of the best shows ever were done that way!

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I've seen The Who many many times now and always look forward to a visit by my friends anytime anywhere.

NYC loves The Who!

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Saw them on the Face Dances tour and 2 years ago. They were 1000 times better 2 years ago! Zak is amazing! Guess that's what happens when Uncle Keith taught you to play drums! :righton:

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

:righton:

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

One thing about The Who these days (Pete and Roger) is that they are as fiery as they've ever been in concert. You will not regret seeing them live.

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I've been on record saying it hardly seems like the Who without Entwistle, but having said that, I'll probably still go. They are still one of the great groups, even if it is only Pete and Roger and a supporting cast these days.

Zak Starkey's presence on drums makes a modern Who show still worthwhile to see.

Evan

16. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

It's Daltrey/Townshend and Friends, not The Who. I find it distasteful that they don't acknowledge it, but I guess I'm a bit of a purist. Show some class, Pete - don't be afraid to tour under a different name instead of milking the brand! :realmad:

It's one of the main reasons I respect Zeppelin much more than The Who, though musically I probably prefer The Who a bit more. Integrity means a lot, especially since it's so scarce these days.

17. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

During the last tour I went to see them and, while it was fun, its not the Who. I called it the Pete Townshend band with Roger Daltrey on vocals, and that is what it sounds like. Townshend has completely taken over musically. I don't think that its necessarily a bad thing, you just have to realize it.

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I have been sniffy about the notion of Townshend and Daltrey touring as the Who, but their performance at Live 8 changed my mind. Not really the Who, maybe, but clearly worth watching, particularly as I've never seen the Who in any incarnation.

19. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I agree! Zak Starkey would be the only reason I'd go. I say that because I've seen the original (all four) band years ago in Chicago!

20. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Like some others have said here, it just isn't the Who without Moon and Entwistle. It was OK when Kenny was drumming, but I was fortunate to see the original band twice in 1976. Saw them again on their "farewell" tour in the early 80's. Hearing some new material may be interesting, but the Who (as I remember them) no longer exists, in my humble opinion.

Greg

21. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

oh please, Yes are technically touring with less than half of their original members

22. The Kid

The Kid Active Member

Right.

So, when's the Beatles' tour?
    :rolleyes:

23. street legal

Yes (pun intended), & Yes is not the same band any more either, no difference at all, except that in The Who's case it might be even worse, because they went their entire recording career (with the exception of the last 2 albums) with NO lineup changes. Entwistle & Moon are probably 2 of the most irreplaceable musicians in the annals of rock music. They are sorely missed if you are a major Who fan, no question about it.

For all of those who feel differently, ask yourself this: Would it be right if Paul & Ringo decided to enlist 2 guitar players & record & tour under the name, The Beatles? I didn't think so.

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes have had a gazillion different members; it's not really the same situation.

25. street legal

Exactly! :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.