"Penny Lane" - US Promo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chip TRG, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member Thread Starter

I've had a copy of the Capitol promo copy for years, and it's in pretty good shape. I'm pretty good on telling fake records, but this one looks pretty good. Can anyone tell me the signs to look for on these 45's, ala matrix notations, cutter initials, etc.?

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I can't dig mine out right now to look at the dead wax but the fake ones I've seen seem very thin and brittle.

mud-:D

Attached Files:

3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

The matrix in the dead wax should read as follows......

45-45871 F1 on the Penny Lane side and the same on the Strawberry Fields side with the exception of the number being 45870. You should also be able to see a little 'star' somewhere in the wax indicating that it was pressed at Capitol in Los Angeles. The 'star' could be faint but it should be there. Bootleggers didn't go through the trouble to replicate any of that.

4. Chip TRG

hand written or stamped numbers?

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Hand written.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Should also be the Bach trumpet ending..... yes?

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Yes!

Bob- :)

8. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Right-O, and the star is a six-point icon about 1/3 of the way around to the right from the matrix number. As for the trumpet ending, here it is from a somewhat worn original mono promo Capitol 45: Penny Lane

GM

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Gary,

Ah, takes me back to the days of KRLA. I've never been able to hear this song in the "official" version without cringing at the end.

THIS is the way it should have been immortalized. Too bad!

10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Another difference between genuine and counterfeits of this promo: At that time, Capitol promos used Pantone 395 - a kind of lemonish yellow with a smattering of lime - printed on super-glossy "Kromecote" stock. On fake copies, the label paper is a bit duller in comparison, and it's slightly dark yellowish. This, plus all the other attributes cited by others.

11. Chip TRG

Well, that pretty much answers the question that mine is indeed real. I was always a little skeptical because mine has absolutely NO markings on the label whatsoever. It was probably taken from a radio station before it ever got added to rotation, or they got multiple copies. Either way, mine checks out.....star, glossy, etc. NICE!

A pretty decent mono mix of Strawberry Fields on the flip, too! Was this mix the same one that was issued on the stocks?

There are some WABC airchecks floating around with Penny Lane as a current, and yes indeed, there's the trumpet!

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yes.

13. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

The usa rarities lp tacks on the horn ending to a stereo mix of penny lane.

14. I actually tried to recreate the 45 by editing this on to the mix from my mono MMT LP. It works, but I can't help but wonder if there aren't other slight mix differences in that original promo.

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I couldn't believe what a ham-handed edit the "Rarities" thing was. It definitely was not in time...it was obvious to me upon first hearing that the trumpet came in a few milliseconds later than it should have.

I've got two copies of the "Penny Lane" promo taken directly from radio station stock in the early 70s. I'm not all that into "collecting" music (as opposed to just listening to it), but they are among my prized possessions.

16. If you read the Beatles Recording Sessions (which I do not have in front of me) they name which unique remix was sent to the USA for this single. The UK mono is a later mix if memory serves.

17. EditDave

EditDave New Member

Which raises the question: Why'd they cut the trumpet from the ending for the official release? I can clearly remember hearing it on the radio back in early '67, and then wondering why it was dropped once the single came out.

The Rarities "recreation" always annoyed me. Now, which version is on the Beatles Anthology? Is it a stereo recreation (don't have the CD).

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

So an edit that's off by a "few milliseconds" should be considered "ham-handed"? :confused:

19. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

20. posieflump

posieflump New Member

The Anthology mix was a whole new stereo version made by taking the various multitracks used in the making of the song and synchronising them digitally. The deliberate mix differences include a single-tracked lead vocal and a cor anglais and trombone solo in place of the familiar piccolo trumpet. It does contain the seven trumpet notes at the end, but among other sounds not on the promo mix. However, the trumpet does come in at the right time, on the first beat of the bar.

Hope this helps,

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

:agree: I liked that "swingin' sixties" interlude with the cor anglais in the Anthology version even better! They should have combined 'em in the mix so you could hear both flourishes.

22. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Which Capitol created by copying a bootlegger's editing job - which just goes to prove they were listening to the boots...

Derek

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

It seems that it was Paul's idea.

Why I don't know or even if it's ever been documented why.

IMO he should have just left well enough alone.

24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Perhaps I chose the wrong measure. But let's just say by whatever measure, it was "off" enough to be plainly noticeable to those of us who remembered the original. So yes...it was ham-handed.

25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That was done at Capitol in Los Angeles with their own copies. Advisors on the project included Ron Furmanek.
    Capitol was strangely ignorant of most bootlegging of the Beatles. For several years they had allowed a weekend record swap in their parking lot in which a lot of bootlegs were sold and Capitol employees and executives were elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.