Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Is the 2003 remaster the one to get of this album?

2. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the Gavin Lurssen remaster from a few years ago. A lot of folks here will also recommend the Deluxe Edition because it contains the unique Detroit mix of the album.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't really hear a whole lot of difference between most CD masterings, but I like the Deluxe Edition the best, for sound and content.

The worst mastering, IMO, is the 80s two-fer on Motown.

4. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The big difference is the title track. On Kevin Reeves' remaster from 2002, the title track is notably brighter and a bit shrill, and loses much of its full, smooth sound. That's why I prefer the 1993 and the 1998 (Gavin Lurssen) remasters. For the other tracks, the differences were only subtle, except for different indexing. My favorite version remains the 1993 remaster (Motown 530 022-2), but the Lurssen remaster is very similar (despite being a bit louder).

Shiver likes this.
  5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I also prefer the 1993 remaster for sound quality (sounds a little warmer and more natural to me), but I wouldn't want to give up the Deluxe Edition because of all of the bonuses it offers, especially the "Detroit mix" of the album.

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

My copy has a slip-cover and a CD size booklet;
    Mastered by Gavin Lurssen, 1994 listed everywhere (booklet, disc, and cover).
    31453-0022-2

Is this the same as the 1993 Andreas and Jeff are talking about in this thread?

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

i didn't look at the date before I posted. Yes, that's the one I prefer (the one with the black slipcover) from 1994.

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:thumbsup: Thanks

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The '93 was done by Bill Inglot. Was that actually issued in the US? I thought it was a UK issue.

10. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Please tell us about the Detroit Mix of this album. Does it sound less commercial in a good way?

12. Grant

Hell yeah!

But, better than trying to go by what we tell you, just BUY it! You won't be sorry! Also, the sound quality is FANTASTIC! It's VERY detailed and clean. You will amazing nuance!

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Cool. Since the tapes had just been sitting unplayed, and now mastered, the sound should be really great!

That's the thing about the CD era to me. Some may know I am no fan of digital or CDs. But the CD era, and now the era of the empowered music consumer, has made it necessary for the labels to seriously consider what the buyer may want. And dig into their vaults and bring out those missing lost masters like the Marvin Gaye album in a finished early mix. Or the Bob Marley Catch a Fire in that earlier Jamaican mix. Deluxe Editions and lower priced box sets have been becoming more common. I had almost forgot about the alt. What's Going On.

I should start another thread about the appearance of so much great (vintage) material that has come out since the beginning of the CD era.

But now I need to hear this one!

14. Grant

Seriously, go out right now and buy it! You won't be sorry! If the mixes don't blow you away (And they will! Marvin duets with himself, using stereo technology to the max!), the sound will. The tapes hadn't been touched sinse they were first mixed down. You can hear just how good the board and all sounded. It's also surprising to realize how quickly they recorded and mixed it the forst time! The released hit version will never sound quite the same to you again, soundwise!

Start your thread! It sounds like a good idea! :agree: But do it when you get back! :agree:

15. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Deluxe edition is essential listening! Yourmusic has it for $11.98--no excuse not to get it!

16. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Thanks to you (and Grant too), I'll be picking this up.

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

On my 1993 remaster, the song "Holy Holy" starts with the piano segue. On my Lurssen and Reeves remasters, that piano segue is part of the preceding song.

Also, Gavin Lurssen is not credited anywhere on my 1993 CD.

18. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Well, my 1993 CD has no mastering credit. Wouldn't Bill inglot have been mentionned somewhere in the booklet?

19. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

hi - just to drag this up - i have a copy of this that is labelled - The Motown 20-Bit Remaster - does anyone know which version this is??

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What's the catalog #? What year(s) are noted on the artwork? Does it have a mastering credit? Is it a US issue?

21. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

no, when i say i have a copy - it is a cd-r given to me by a friend, thats why i am trying to find out which version it is....

22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It is from 1998 and remastered by Gavin Lurssen. Catalog no. is 314-530883-2.

23. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

The Detroit version is a great listen and the Deluxe Edition of What's Going On would be my particular purchase recommendation. However, it needs to be said that if you are seeking audiophile material, the Detroit mix has some annoyances in the form of electric static that mars a couple passages. The liners mention the static, and it does occur on a couple tracks. I am only bringing this up as I originally thought I had a defective copy, until I read the liners and received a message from H. Weinger about the static.

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

For sound quality, I prefer the 1994 edition with slipcase (Gavin Lurssen mastering).

Of course you need the DE for the Detroit Mix and the concert. I didn't much care for the Detroit mix upon the first few listens, but it's growing on me. In my opinion, nothing can touch the mix they released originally - it's one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard.

If you're interested in reading about this album, I highly recommend finding the Mojo Heroes book "What's Going On", written by Ben Edmonds.

25. Grant

It's most likely the DE version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.