Queen's "A Night at the Opera". The XXXth Anniversary release has a tough challenge*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

... beating the DCC.

I listened to it today, after years of Hollywood Records torture. Although I believe the album is in no way an audiophile staple, Steve's job really brings out the best that there is. I simply love the piano in the "Death on Two Legs" intro... and Bohemian Rhapsody sounds as clean as I ever expect it to be.

But - the new disc will have cleaned up surround remixes and is mastered by Bob Ludwig...

Bottom line - I have to buy it. I'll love to compare both versions...

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This is not intended as a thread-crap, but remember that this 30th anniversary set only offers DTS. The DVD-Audio disc is great, in my opinion. :)

3. fjhuerta

Not at all a threadcrap - I was talking about the CD disc, mastered by Bob Ludwig.

I wonder if it'll be no-noised to death, or if they could put out a version to compete with the DCC.

As for the DTS disc... I don't have a DVD-Audio, and apparently, they cleaned up the MC mixes, so I'll be very pleased. :wave:

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

DTS for dummies (Me). I'm new to DVD-A and SACD. Do the DTS discs have a 2ch hi-rez layer? I don't have a 5.1 surround or DTS. Will I be able to play any DTS discs on my DVD-A/SACD player, 2ch non-DTS system??

Is the new 30th Anniversary edition hi-rez, too? I see it comes with a DVD. . .

5. DTS CD's all note that you must have a DTS capable decoder in order to play DTS.

6. Whole heartedly agree. :agree:

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I love the DTS version that came out a few years ago. Absolutely fun surround mix.

Steve's DCC version though is still the definitive stereo version.

Not sure if I'll buy this album once again.

8. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Actually, the Queen discs issued on the DTS label are DVD-Audio discs with a 96/24 LPCM stereo track that's compatible with all DVD players and 5.1 surround tracks in both 96/24 PPCM (for DVD-Audio players) and DTS (for DTS-capable equipment).

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I thought the new DTS disks have dvd-audio on them also. Is this one different? To answer the question here, I don't know of any 2-channel dts, and downmixing 5.1 dts to 2-channel sounds really awful usually, and dts is not high resolution.

10. macready

macready New Member

DTS 24/96 and DTS-HD are high resolution.

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

This release has a DVD-V DTS only and no DVD-A hi rez.
    Is it a DTS release or a Hollywood release?

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Clean what? Scheiner did it! What's there to clean?

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

hmmmmm.......so is it a new mix? And by whom?

14. Bill Sherbon

Bill Sherbon Forum Resident

As far as DTS96/24 I disagree since it uses *lossy* compression (just like a mp3 is lossy compressed). IMO to be high resolution any compression used should be *lossless*.

15. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

MLP = hi-rez. The original DVD-A was MLP. So if this is pure DTS, no hi-rez.

Unless this is like $10, I'll pass.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Agreed. The DVD-A mixes were exceptionally great. What's there to fix? I can only assume they recalled Elliot's mixes and tweaked them from there.

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I wish they would have worked on A Day At The Races instead.

18. Yeah, you would think that "ANATO" was the only album Queen ever did. I love their first album, I think "Sheer Heart Attack" is brilliant, "ADATR" is no less a classic as "ANATO", and even "News" would sound great in hi-rez.

Paul_T likes this.
  19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Agreed, DTS 24/96 is not high resolution, but it is pretty darn good. But it is still compressed.

20. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

On the Brian May website they were saying that they would look at how the A Night At The Opera set sells and that they may then do the same for A Day At The Races. I have to say that Id certainly be out there buying myself a 30th Anniversary DVD-A mix of A Day At The Races!! :D
    Cheers

Steve

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The Anniversary Edition sounds good (IMO)..... very, very close to DCC's Gold remaster.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm sorry, I meant to say that 24/96 is still lossy.

23. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Claus,

Does it say in the credits who remastered the CD from this set? On Brian May's website they had the info all wrong and listed disc one as a CD with both stereo and 5.1 mixes on it and the same for the DVD. I know Bob Ludwig did the DVD but I'm curious if he also did the CD or if they used the 2001 remaster done at Abbey Road by Peter Mew.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott B

24. fjhuerta

I'm pretty glad they are still working on anything at all... wasn't DTS supposed to release lots of Queen DVD-A's???

Besides... Bob Ludwig... Queen... "A Night at the Opera"... I pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk already! Life is great! :D

25. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I always thought A Day At The Races was a very disappointing follow-up to ANATO. Has two or three strong tracks, but the rest of it just doesn't measure up. I don't think Queen got fully back on track until Jazz, which is an underrated album in my opinion and would be worthy of its own 5.1 mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.