Led Zeppelin I - channel reversal question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Does somebody have an old vinyl copy of Led Zeppelin I? I am trying to find out where the acoustic guitar at the beginning of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" is supposed to be.

I have the followng CD versions confirmed:

non-remastered Atlantic (Germany): right channel
    4-CD-Boxed set remastered: right channel
    10-CD-Boxed set remastered: left channel

Not sure where the guitar is with the regular single remastered CD, but I would assume it is the same as with the 10-CD-Boxed set.

Do you have any CD versions which differ (e.g. non-remastered with the guitar in the left channel).

Thanks.

Roland

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

A ton of those original atlantic led zep discs have channel reversals...

3. rjstauber

I heard about the channel reversal thing with the non-remastered CD's. I do have LZ IV with channels reversed. One song on the non-remastered Physical Graffiti also has the channels reversed.

But now we have channels reversed between two different remastered versions, and this is new to me. And I still haven't figured out what the vinyl was like with LZ I (possibly also vinyl with channels reversed?).

Roland

4. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Right Channel

Japan Mini LP: Left Channel

Non remastered Atlantic "Gold" (Germany): right channel

Anyone with a regular US Remaster not part of a set?

5. rjstauber

Russ, thank you very much.

Did I understand your post correctly, that on your vinyl copy, the guitar is in the right channel? Is this a relatively old vinyl pressing, or in other terms, is the right channel the correct one?

Roland

6. KN65

KN65 Well-Known Member

I have the single remaster of Zep 1 and the guitar is on the left in the aforementioned intro. I have always thought this was the correct configuration, because I first noticed the channel switch about 15 years ago, when I compared my old Lp with the first unremastered cd issue. I remember the two being different, and I can't tell you where the guitar was on that particular intro, since I don't have either of them now.

7. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. It's a US first press. Here is some more info for ya:

Early days Latter Days comp US: Left Channel
    Remasters 2CD Australia: Right Channel
    Non remastered US: Right Channel

I also have the Led Zeppelin I Test Pressing. The difference with the test press and the regular first release is that Jimmy went overboard on the equalization and whole bunch of echo. Glyn Johns eventually convinced Page that it was not needed and they went with what was originally released. Anyway, the guitar is on the right channel for the test press.

Here's a clip of the test press. It's encoded @320 CBR and it's a fair representation of what I hear.

http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2E51P737KNOUH1M8BS8CO7N254

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I kinda like the test pressing. That was right off the vinyl, right?

9. rjstauber

Thank you all for the infos and posts.

My interpretation is (due to test pressing and original U.S. vinyl) that the "right" version is with the acoustic guitar in the right channel, thus the original non-remastered CD is correct and some of the remastered CD's are reversed.

There also seems to be some vinyl with the guitar in the left channel, so basically both versions are widely available. I guess it doesn't really make that much of a difference, the music sounds great both ways.

Roland

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

That's right, I mean which is correct?

From another thread early IV CD's have the channels reversed (I'm looking at 19129-2 which is going back).

I thought the only problem with PG was the intro of one song was chopped off in early pressing?

I want unfutzed with LZ on cee dee, is that to much to ask???

11. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Think it was the coughs at the end of "In My Time of Dying"

12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thank you, Glyn Johns!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.