Sam Cooke - "Portrait" SACD - how to tell?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zurge, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zurge

zurge Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently purchased the "Portrait of a Legend" SACD through deepdiscountcd.com. The CD arrived today in the mail, but I have a question. I haven't opened it yet, but the CD itself does not indicate that it is an SACD. It came in a standard CD case, with the front promotional sticker just having a "30 Greatest Hits" blurb on it, and the back just has the abkco, DSD, Stereo, and Direct SBM logos. No SACD symbol is on it. For those that have the actual SACD, did I get a copy of a redbook only? I haven't opened it yet, because I want to return it to get the SACD if I have just the redbook.

Thank you! :help:

2. Gordon

Gordon New Member

If it's not in a digipak, then it's probably a DSD remaster. I know because mine came in a digipak.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the SACD playing surface should have a brassy tinge to it, a cd would look silver.

Does your player indicate what kind of disc is in the tray? Only asking cuz my universal player does.

4. zurge

SACD versus CD

Hi Dave.

I didn't open it yet. I figured it would be easier to return that way. I was hoping that the nice people on this forum would guide me if I bought the redbook-only version. I knew that the Stones SACDs were in digipak only - it looks like that happened with Sam Cooke, too?

Thanks again!

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The SACD is in a cardboard digipack. The DSD remastered CD is in a plastic jewel case.

6. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

It is NOT the SACD. I had the same thing happen to me. The SACD's are in a digipac and there should be a sticker on the package.

I had the guy at the CD store open the digipac for "Live At The Harlem Club" that did NOT have the sticker on the package. I couldn't find any information inside the packaging that said it was an SACD, so I didn't buy it.

Does anyone know if there is SACD information (even a logo) on the INSIDE of the Abkco SACD releases? Do all of the SACD's come with the sticker on the cover?

EDIT: The "Harlem Club" which is not an SACD release. Here is a link to "Live At The Copa" and you can see the sticker in the bottom right corner. http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p28245078?sourceid=13

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I don't believe that either 'Live at the Copa' or 'Harlem Club' have been released as a SACD. Harlem Club was recently re-released as a remastered CD but not a SACD.

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

As I stated before, get this SACD before it's gone!

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I edited my post. "Copa" is an SACD" along with 3 others: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=17746227

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Mine came in a digipack and it definitely has the SACD logo on the back. It also says SACD,DSD & SBM Direct are trademarks of Sony & Phillips. Hope this helps.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Sam Cooke's 'Portrait of a Legend' has a Super Audio logo on the back cover (near the lower right corner).

The Rolling Stones SACDs have nothing on the outside cover to indicate that they are SACDs, but the Super Audio logo is on the discs themselves, and the liner notes mention that they are SACDs.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

They still have the SACD listed at CD Universe. I should get it before it's too late. :eek:

dan c

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

14. zurge

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the info. :righton:

I'll keep searching...

15. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

At the Copa is indeed on SACD - I own it. It is a hybrid multichannel in a Digipack.

16. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

You can always look at the cd surface. The sacds have a different tint than the regular cds.

17. GoldenBoy

I think the thing is he doesn't want to open it yet, so it will be easier to return.

18. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Surely there would be different catalogue numbers on regular red-book only discs and CD/SACD dual-layer discs? I mean, they are different products, after all.

19. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The original packaging of PORTRAIT[Abkco 92642] has the SACD logo on the back cover. That's really all you need to know.

:ed:

20. GoldenBoy

Indeed. A lot of times, I notice there is only a slight change in catalogue number, such as the SACD numbers being preceded by an 'S', 'SA', or 'SCD'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.