Can someone identify where these A&M CDs were pressed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew T., Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein Thread Starter

A&M Records used a variety of manufacturing facilities in the 1980s to press its product. I have no idea where two A&M CDs (U.S. pressings from the latter half of the '80s) I have were made.

Here are some high-resolution scans, linked to from the thumbnails. Can someone identify the pressing plant each disc was manufactured in from the appearance of the disc and matrix number?

[​IMG]

The Police - Reggatta de Blanc; A&M CD-4792; matrix number CD-4792 2A1 D7Y

[​IMG]

Joe Jackson - Body and Soul; A&M CD-3286 (CD-5000); matrix number CD5000 9/88 1DA3

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Your CD's were made by Denon in Georgia in the 1986-7 time frame. The Police disc was made from a Denon Japan laser mastering. The Joe Jackson was laser mastered in Georgia. Denon pressed for A&M a lot and RCA.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yup, Denon. I see U.S. Denon pressings with dot-matrix-style matrix codes only on occasion. The matrix code type on the Joe Jackson disc is more common for U.S. Denon pressings in my experience.

4. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein Thread Starter

Thank you both!

I happen to be listening to the Police disc right now. :agree:

5. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Denon did CD pressing for A&M well into the 90's also. Those discs can be identified by looking at the inner aluminum ring of the disc. They are usually marked with the date(month and year) that the CD was pressed.

6. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Anything special about the sound quality?
    Thanks.

7. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I have the above Joe Jackson CD and it sounds good to me. I also have the West German AM+ pressing (A&M CD-5000) (395 000-2 02 *). It sounds louder to me, judging from the start of the opening track. Great record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.