The infamous Beatles white Album on a single cd thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

:D

hi i want to fit the famous album onto a single 80 min cd!
    please gimme your tracklisiting and reasons why you want certain songs on !

2. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Oh no. Not again.....

3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

take out "Revolution 9" and that should just about do it.

PhoffiFozz and fallbreaks like this.
  4. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Funny. I'd keep R9 and get rid of the rest of the tracks!

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

You would definetly have room left on the 80 minute CD. Which other songs would you fill the disc with? I assume this would become a "mixed" disc. :wave:

6. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Well, I was exaggerating for effect. But I definitely think that R9 is the most interesting thing on the White Album!

As for what to leave off... I'll just say there's a lot of filler on there! But I won't take the bait. No I won't. No siree... ;)

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I fit everything on by removing Revolution #1 & #9.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Spend the extra 30 cents and use two CD-R's.

9. Lord Hawthorne

I love Revolution #9 too, but not in between the songs on that album. I made a comp of other pieces that fit with it like "What's The New Maryjane" and the extended "Flying".

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Good advice!

11. fitzysbuna

I Thought flying was only made for magical mystery tour?

12. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

I second that!

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

You'd still be about 5 or 6 minutes over length.

14. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Ok Its monday early AM (The sun will not rise for a while) so my mood is not the best right now but...THis has been done to death. Use the seach option to read the hundreds of threads on this. Can't we ban this sort of thread for at least once a year. The last one was just a month ago and noone has anything new to add to this.
    There is no reason for this thread again this fast. With all the great music out there and so many things to talk about, why waste time on this again!!!!!

Ok , maybe crappy mood might have been better right noe! :realmad:

15. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

In all those "What if the White Album had been a single album?" threads, people tend to delete the McCartney numbers, especially "Martha My Dear" and "Blackbird". In my opinion, no way!

16. DanK

DanK Forum Resident

If I never again hear Obladi-Oblada, Piggies, Don't Pass Me By or Honey Pie it'll be too soon. Take these out and it's a pretty good album.

Larry Mc likes this.
  17. fitzysbuna

go take one of your happy Pills ! ;)

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Interesting thing. I've burned both the stereo and mono mixes onto CD-R for traveling...the mono is slightly shorter than the stereo--due mainly to "Helter Skelter"--and so, to fill up Disc 1, in mono, I can include everything through "Savoy Truffle"; in stereo, "Honey Pie." That leaves only a few songs, but Disc 2 is devoted to alternate takes from ANTHOLOGY and other sources, in addition to the '68 Xmas fan club record and the "Hey Jude"/"Revolution single.

Personally, I think anyone who removes anything from this wild and crazy album needs their skull probed. Why would anyone want to tamper with it?

:ed:

19. GregY

GregY New Member

Buy a 99-min CDR and put the whole thing on it.

20. Have a coffee, relax. :) This topic has been previously covered, maybe 4 times (in over 3 years) according to the Web site search tool. It was 2 years short a month, between the first two discussions. AND, the third thread was poll, not a "How do I make The White Album a single disc?". We could hardly call this topic a frequent discussion.

Sir George Martin himself was quoted back in the day as saying The Beatles could have made for one great single LP.

Your 'perfect' Beatles white album?? What if you had to cut it in half.... August-2005

White Album: As Is? Or Should It Have Been Shorter? June-2005

Beatles White Album Create The Single Lp November-2004

14-Song "White Album"? October-2002

If you run a search on "Beatles remasters" or one of Michael's fave topics "The U.S. Capitol LPs", you will find many more threads than the 4 for the above topic.

adriatikfan likes this.
  21. Lord Hawthorne

It was, but "#9" has more in common with the unedited version of "Flying" than it does with anything on the White Album.

22. sunny dunes

sunny dunes Forum Resident

Many people go about this question by simply removing the songs they don't like, but this is an approach I am suspicious of. The album is so entrenched in our minds, it's hard to think of it in any other way. This is why most of these single-album White Album lists are roughly in the same order as the album (e.g., starting with "Back in the USSR", flowing into "Dear Prudence") with just half the songs taken out.

What interests me is not what other listeners would choose as their single-album version, but what songs George Martin would have cut or discouraged in the studio. I don't think he's ever actually said, has he? Of course, the little knockoffs like "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" and "Wild Honey Pie", even if they had still been recorded, would not have made the cut. That's pretty clear. But inevitably, there would have to come a time when "Mother Nature's Son", "Cry Baby Cry", and "Everybody's Got Something to Hide..." would be up on the chopping block. The third of these was particularly unpromising in demo form, yet it somehow blossomed into one of the best things on the record.

These ones have that important, Beatlesque quality that I think George Martin would have responded to (this is my opinion of George Martin's tastes, not my personal list):

Back in the USSR - the album would need one or two potboilers
    Dear Prudence - has a classic feeling
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - Paul would have insisted
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps - George's most important-sounding contribution
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun - one of John's best ever, I think George Martin would have recognized that
    Blackbird - a perfectly crafted song
    Julia - emotional and has that air of autobiographical importance
    Birthday - the other potboiler
    Sexy Sadie - classic Beatle sound
    Revolution 1 - John would have insisted

Something like 32 minutes. I'm not sure what additional ten minutes he would have gone for. It's possible they would still have wanted to push for some challenging things, like "Helter Skelter" and (in a totally different way) "Long Long Long". It's also possible that Lennon would still have insisted that "Revolution 9" take up eight minutes of valuable Beatle LP time (thus consuming an even greater percentage of the album than it already does). I think it must have been pretty hard to argue with that man.

For me personally, I would focus my single-album version on keeping "Revolution 9" and "Good Night" as the final scene (denouement), and somehow try to build the right amount of dread and tension in the preceding thirty minutes. "Why Don't We Do It in the Road", "Martha My Dear" (it weird how this song sounds kind of sinister because of the context of the rest of the album), "Wild Honey Pie", and "Long Long Long" would all make the cut.

23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Dang. OK, I'll play along - I haven't done this poll in the past.

If I were to make the 'White Album' into an 80 minute disc (1 disc is convenient to take in the car on a trip) I will do this:

Take out "Revolution 9" and "Piggies" to get rid of Charles Manson's favorite songs. If this is still slightly over I will remove "Good Night".

Since this is a bastardization of the original, I will go one step further and re sequence a couple songs: I would put the song "Savoy Truffle" after "Yer Blues" on "side 3" (Birthday/Yer Blues/Savoy Truffle/Mother Natures Son. . .). And I would make George's "Long Long Long" as the last song on the disc ("side 4" would be the slow side: Revolution 1/Honey Pie/Cry Baby Cry/Long Long Long) :righton:

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...just, Let It Be...

25. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Speaking words of wisdom . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.