Hidef DVD Format War Deepens....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

2. LeeS

New York Times
    September 27, 2005
    DVD Fight Intensifies: Microsoft and Intel to Back Toshiba Format
    By KEN BELSON
    Microsoft and Intel are throwing their full weight behind one side in the long-running battle over the format for the next generation of high-definition DVD's.

Today, the two companies will announce that they are backing the HD-DVD format developed by Toshiba over the Blu-ray standard championed by Sony, Matsushita Electric, Samsung and others. Microsoft announced in June that it would work with Toshiba to develop high-definition DVD players. Now, Microsoft and Intel say they will develop software and chips that will allow personal computers to play the next-generation DVD's from Toshiba.

The companies said they had not ruled out incorporating Blu-ray technology in their operating systems and on their chips in the future. But they are convinced that as of now, the HD-DVD format discs can be produced more cheaply and more quickly than the Blu-ray discs, and are therefore likely to become the dominant technology.

For the last two years, Microsoft and Intel have been careful not to alienate either camp in the format battle because they sell software and components to companies on each side. They also hoped that the electronics makers and Hollywood studios developing the formats would reach a compromise.

But the major Hollywood studios are now split between the formats, and electronics companies on both sides plan to start selling next-generation DVD players as early as Christmas. Sony also plans to include Blu-ray technology in its new PlayStation 3 game console to be released next spring.

As the format standoff has deepened, demand for the current generation of DVD's and DVD players has slowed, alarming Hollywood studios, which have come to depend heavily on disc sales. The studios, as well as electronics makers and computer manufacturers, expect high-definition discs to restart sales growth. But the lack of a resolution over the future format has slowed the changeover.

"We were neutral for a long time," Jordi Ribas, the director of technical strategy for Windows at Microsoft, said. "But we're approaching the time when this has to come to market and from our standpoint, the earlier the better."

As early as last year, however, some industry executives said that Microsoft was likely to side with the Toshiba camp.

Though Microsoft and Intel do not make DVD machines, they benefit from the sale of next-generation discs because consumers will also want to play the new discs on their PC's. That means that the computer operating system will have to be designed to read those discs.

Microsoft and Intel say that Toshiba has proven that its discs can be copied onto hard drives and home servers and sent over home networks. The companies also favor the "hybrid" disc developed by Toshiba that includes a standard definition version of a movie on one side and a high-definition version on the other side.

Their decision to support Toshiba's HD-DVD format also creates another fissure in the tug of war between the companies backing the two formats.

For instance, Dell and Hewlett-Packard, two of the world's largest PC makers, are part of the Blu-ray group. Their computers, assuming they include Microsoft and Intel products, will be capable of playing HD-DVD discs. But if they want their machines to play Blu-ray discs, they may have to find a third-party to design software for them.

In addition to developing software to play HD-DVD discs on PC's, Microsoft may also create software so its new Xbox game console, which will be released later this year, will be able to play HD-DVD discs.

3. LeeS

It's funny that Apple and Intel are on opposite sides here...

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

These format wars really are getting overly insane and creating lose-lose situations. Sure, there is a small percentage of the population who can repeatedly invest in the latest & greatest format and take the risk that the format fails. Ultimately, these same individuals will probably grow tired of repeatedly rebuilding their audio & video libraries with the latest & greatest format. Then who wins?

Take care,
    Jeffrey

5. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Given Sony's track record of lack of support for its hi-def and other formats, why would any rational enterprise jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon?

6. LeeS

While I'm waiting to see what shakes out, most people believe that Sony has the momentum at this point since it has many more companies supporting it and more data storage capability.

7. I agree with you. The infighting between Sony Electronics (hardware) and Sony Entertainment (media) will kill Blu-ray just like they killed SACD.

8. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Maybe so, but Microsoft and Intel have a history of making savvy, profitable decisions and leading the introduction of innovation while Sony's recent record is pretty dismal.

9. LeeS

Microsoft? Maybe stealing the innovation...

10. TimM

TimM Senior Member

If I had to place a bet, I would definitely want my money with Microsoft.

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I am sick of this whole damn mess. :mad: This is why I keep holding off taking the deep plunge into video. The format wars, the digital connection schemes that come and go, the copy protection nonsense, all this stuff in video makes the SACD versus DVD-A thing look like child's play in the sandbox. I wonder why I do not have an HDTV but keep buying more and more LP's. :sigh:

12. Carmantom

Carmantom Primo Audioholic

Tim,

I agree. What Microsoft wants Microsoft gets. Gates won't be satisfied until he rules the world. Whatever he wants he buys or (steals). :realmad:

Tom

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Did Microsoft make this the leading audio format?

[​IMG]

14. LeeS

An interesting take from Tom's Hardware:

15. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

If Sony has any story behind it is that of putting out good formats (Beta, SACD, etc.) and then not having the right strategy or marketing to take them to fruition. It seems to me that they are now on the right spot for a repeat of the play (yes, the one we already know, just that second parts were never that good).

16. IMO, I think the inclusion of Blu-Ray in the next gen Playstation is going to be a bigger factor than most people realize.

I also think this is a primary reason Microsoft went with HD-DVD. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was included in the next gen X-Box.

17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

This whole thing is really easy to solve for the consumer and companies.....sell players that play both formats. Sony will once again lose because they wont put both formats on their player.

18. LeeS

Seems to me that studio support is the critical thing...if BluRay wins over a major studio or two then there may be enough critical mass of big titles to end the game....

On the other hand, I would not discount the role that Vista having HD-DVD might have given the penetration of the Windows OS.

19. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Give the MS-bashing a rest folks. They aren't that bad.
    <rant on>
    You think Apple is better with their stance on being 100% proprietary and such? Linux for the masses? Cut me a break. Nothing is really better than anything else. <end of rant>

It's business, plain and simple. MS and Toshiba have had a loooooooooong relationship. I bet this has more to do with DRM than anything else and Intel's new processors which have the DRM stuff. Why do you think Apple is waiting until next year? They're going to leverage the same stuff.

Blu Ray and HD-DVD are both better than current DVD technology for storage - which is important from a computer standpoint. WIndows natively will support both.

Now it will be interesting to see who wins and gets SW out first.

20. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

As long as the same manufacturers who stepped in to make DVD-A/SACD universal players step in here, I don't care. I don't plan on getting the next generation PS or XBOX, which may make me in the minority, so that's of no consequence to me. I have an HD-TiVo to tide me over until they release this stuff and I'll use it as a bridge until the Hi Def DVD players come down in price.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm wondering how many of the average DVD customers care about hi-def formats...

22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

tony - your posts always crack me up and I like your outlook on life in general! you are ahead of the game on two fronts - you get to listen to the best-sounding format for music AND you don't have to watch TV to listen to it!!!

a) listen to vinly
    b) look out the window

you can't lose....

23. LeeS

Grant, when you see hidef DVD you will know...the picture can be like being on the movie set: great colors, vivid, super-detailed but in a natural way...just spectacular.

(I saw a Qualia 007 presentation with hidef trailers at a Sony exhiobit at the NYC Stereophile show.)

24. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

The people that are indifferent about HD haven't seen a HD broadcast over a properly connected quality set. When I was shopping I went into Sam's Club and they had DVD players hooked up to HD sets via a composite connection! How can I tell anything by that?

My SONY KDF-E42A10 showed up last Thursday and after I hooked it up to my HR10-250, DirecTV HD-DVR with TiVo, all I could think was, "Oh, now I see what people have been going on about!". One of the most eye-opening experiences in my life! Last weekend was my first Sports in HD excursion, Jays-Yanks on Sat., some college games, and NFL Sunday Ticket. It just doesn't get any better. ;)

25. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

.... until next month's technology is released! :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.